Granite MEGA 550 stops after 10mins use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyloz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
2nd new boy question.

With fully charged batteries. 2400 and 5000mha NiMh on my brushed mega granite. Within 10minuets of use. I get the red flashing led, which I think is an over heating esc. Would that be right?

What options are suggested to increase the runtime ?

Thanks
Mark

Best answer is go brushless. If you have a V1 or V2 Mega, you’d be better off buying another Granite 3S instead. If you have a V3 Mega, Toss in a brushless system and go.

Are you running stock gearing? If geared up and doing a lot of stop and go, overheating is more common.

100% stock. No changes. I wonder if the esc is fauly?

or should I buy a fan to sit on top of it? Which version?

Hi all,
2nd new boy question.

With fully charged batteries. 2400 and 5000mha NiMh on my brushed mega granite. Within 10minuets of use. I get the red flashing led, which I think is an over heating esc. Would that be right?

What options are suggested to increase the runtime ?

Thanks
Mark
My oldest son has the Granite V3, using 5000 mah 50c Li-po running time about 30 minutes or more. First, I would suggest you check the pinion and spur gear mesh. Second, try using a Li-po battery. Usually, the NI-Mh battery has a short running time, but 10 minutes there's an issue. You may need to contact Horizon for advice if the problem persists.

Also could be a bearing issue. Not sure how old the truck is or what environment you're running in but if one or more bearings aren't spinning freely, that would cause overheating as well.

How would I check the pinion gear? What would I be looking for?

Item in 8days old.

The brushed Megas are known for overheating. And the stock battery last just about 10 minutes anyway.

Do I upgrade the esc then? To what?
There are what they call "light brushless" combos you can run that would give you way better performance. @Cheapbastard know a lot about them. Not to play arm chair QB but you should have spent the extra $70 and gotten the BLX version of your truck. You will be close to that price when you get done converting your Mega to brushless. Maybe someone know of a better brushed setup than the factory one and they will chime in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back