Granite mega diff grease question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmay

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
IMG_20200330_213853.jpg

Got some 3s (and 4s) parts for my granite mega from JennysRc

Does anybody know I can add this grease to the outside of the new diffs?
IMG_20200331_144507.jpg

You mean on the ring and pinion?

The "factory" grease in mine has looked like Vaseline, but had a definite "gear lube" odor to it. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a non-synthetic petroleum-based grease.

Most people here use a "Red, Tacky, Synthetic" grease. Some like Lucas, some like Mobil1, some jsut use anything on hand. Some also use the DuPont wax-based Chain Lube, which is nice because it doesn't fling off.

I use a tube of Mobil1 because I had it, and I know it's pretty good grease.

I think your Valvoline grease would work just fine.

It's a silicone grease very much like Super Lube 92003 which is what I use where needed. Silicone is used for plastic because most other petroleum based greases have chemicals that are not good for plastic, or so I've read.

Screenshot_20200331-125329_Amazon Shopping.jpg

IMG_20200331_155659.jpg

Is that what you call these parts? Wondering if I can put a bit of the crimson grease onto whatever grease this is?

View attachment 72515
Is that what you call these parts? Wondering if I can put a bit of the crimson grease onto whatever grease this is?
Honestly I never even add more grease to what's already still on the diffs out of the bag from JRC. I wouldn't mix the crimson with that stuff so if you want to use your crimson I'd wipe off the stuff on there first. The crimson is a lithium based grease and from what I just googled you should be careful of using lithium grease on plastic because some of the additives in certain blends are harmful to plastics but most general purpose greases are fine. Just don't use too much if it's really thick/tacky.

It's still coated pretty good. I can just leave it alone. Thanks

View attachment 72515

Yes. The parts in the bag are the pinion gears (IIRC Arrma calls them "differential input gears"), and the part in your hand is the complete differential assembly. In this case the ring gear (sometimes called a "Crown Gear") is molded to the differential case. In a real automotive differential the ring gear is a separate piece from the differential case.

It's a silicone grease very much like Super Lube 92003 which is what I use where needed. Silicone is used for plastic because most other petroleum based greases have chemicals that are not good for plastic, or so I've read.

View attachment 72513
I also use Super Lube and their various types of oils ,etc.( 20 years now) As well as M1 on steel gears. WP and sticky is what you want. Both are great for BB grease also if you clean and relube them with just 1/3 full.(too much is no good and binds the bearings) Any Automotive Chassis/spindle bearing grease is fine and exceeds RC requirements if that's all you have. The stuff that comes from China and Pan Asia is cheap wax/soap based lube. That's why they all have that same stinky smell. And sometimes appears lumpy when you open up any new diff. Just my observations.:cool:
edit: when lubing plastic gears, yes a pure silicone or a pure lithium based grease is better. Greases with a moly in it is bad for plastics. Have to check contents before using. IMO.

Last edited:
That red grease is fine to use. Or just roll with what is on it already. Either way, you just need to coat the teeth on the main gear and you’ll be good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back