Granite mega motor smoked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtmopar

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi all,

Just recently purchased a granite mega for my son. Less than a month old. First disappointment was a 10 run time with stock battery, but OK....got a new one ordered. The truck had less then 10 runs on it and on the last one the motor started smoking 10 mins into it. The upgrade chart shows next upgrade being a 7 cell battery so I bought a 7 cell 4200 mah battery so we can actually get a reasonable amount of time to run the car. It is stock geared at 15 tooth which should be good to normal running around and bashing which is what my son uses it for. I am currently working with tower hobbies who I bought it thru to try and get a replacement motor but will it hold up to the new battery? According to arrma upgrade list it will but now I'm worried. I will probably be getting the aluminum heat sink motor mount but now that's just another $20 on top of the $35 I had to spend to get a reasonable reliability and run time.

Almost starting to think maybe I should have just gotten him a stampede like I have which I haven't had any problems with at all in its stock form. So. I guess now that I'm done with my mini annoyance rant my questions would be. Will the stock brushed motor be able to hold up to a 7 cell 4200 mah battery full run time as the chart says it will? Or do I need to look into spending even MORE money to get a brushless set up to run with this new nimh battery so it does have better reliability. I don't want to overkill it as my son is 5 so the brushed set up Is plenty powerful for his purposes. We chose the granite for him.based on the chassis strength and reviews but now I'm a little worried about the power train costing me an arm and a leg. If I was to upgrade to a brushless set up what would be the least expensive but reliable and controllable for my son? Thanks in advance for the advice and sorry about the long post. Will see what tower can do at least for now to get it up and running. He is pretty disappointed that it's broke.

Contact Arrma customer service over the phone and tell them that your motor if fried. You have a 2 year warranty and you were running it with the stock battery. They should send you a new motor. But remember to call because as others have posted it could take a month or two to have a response for an email.

Thanks. Just got ahold of tower and they are sending me a new motor asap. Great customer service!

So I found a good deal on a traxxas vxl 3s esc and 3500 motor combo. Anyone vouch for this being a good set up? Is 10 turn so would be a little faster of course. Will the stock arrma remote work with it? Still will be running 7 cell 4200 mah battery for the sons toy.

That combo will work, comes close to the BLX 1/10 scale Arrma combo.

Only disadvantage I know about is the fact that the motor bearings will wear out quite fast if you run off-road. A replacement set is available, but the original Arrma motor bearings do not need replacement for a very long time. It easily will survive the car itself ;)

Contact Arrma customer service over the phone and tell them that your motor if fried. You have a 2 year warranty and you were running it with the stock battery. They should send you a new motor. But remember to call because as others have posted it could take a month or two to have a response for an email.

I definitely recommend calling as well! I emailed and got tired after weeks of waiting so I called and actually had my.parts before they answered my email haha arrma have been nothing but awesome to me as far as warranty goes! Good luck :cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back