Granite Granite Mega owners -what have you upgraded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud Creek RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
What upgrades have you done to your Granite Mega 4x4? post pictures and/or part lists/links

mine is totally stock- don't even know where to start- looking for inspiration/ideas
Radio
Servo
Servo saver
Bearings
Motor
ESC
Adjustable motor mount
Pinion
Slipper assembly
Diff input gears
Diff cups
Diff oil
Yokes
Shocks
Tie rods
Steering rack
Hexes
Wheels
Tires
Bumper
Wing

Radio
Servo
Servo saver
Bearings
Motor
ESC
Adjustable motor mount
Pinion
Slipper assembly
Diff input gears
Diff cups
Diff oil
Yokes
Shocks
Tie rods
Steering rack
Hexes
Wheels
Tires
Bumper
Wing
wow! what shocks, wheels, tires, bumper, wing did you switch to? any pictures of it?

wow! what shocks, wheels, tires, bumper, wing did you switch to? any pictures of it?
Well honestly thres not much to upgrade when you are running a brushed setup your not going fast enough to really break stuff
And what he mentioned above the list of upgrades is if you want to go brushless and fully uograde the car . If you want to go brushless you should have get the granite blx 3s because it ends up costing a bit more if you upgrade from brushed to brushless.

Typhon 6S shocks
Badlands MX28
TBone bumper for Typhon
Typhon 3S wing

Typhon 6S shocks
Badlands MX28
TBone bumper for Typhon
Typhon 3S wing
Sounds cool! Helpful to learn what might fit on it without major modifications - thanks!
Well honestly thres not much to upgrade when you are running a brushed setup your not going fast enough to really break stuff
And what he mentioned above the list of upgrades is if you want to go brushless and fully uograde the car . If you want to go brushless you should have get the granite blx 3s because it ends up costing a bit more if you upgrade from brushed to brushless.
It’s a fun and tough little truck and meets my needs for now. Just looking to do something fun with it

It’s a fun and tough little truck and meets my needs for now. Just looking to do something fun with it

Bumper upgrades are a good place to start. I got the Granite set from T-Bone Racing but word of caution the Granite front bumper they sell has lousy fitment. It requires you flex the bumper quite a bit to install it how they want you to and I found it puts a lot of stress on the screws/holes. I've modified mine now to mitigate it but if I had to do it again I'd have gotten the T-Bone Typhon bumper like @jondilly1974 did.

I also have the Typhon 3s wing and love it. Looks dope and saves me from destroying the rear corner of the body during crashes. You do have to cut the body a little to make it fit so just be aware.

20200303_181618.jpg

Attachments

• 20200303_181618.jpg
    20200303_181618.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 30
Bumper upgrades are a good place to start. I got the Granite set from T-Bone Racing but word of caution the Granite front bumper they sell has lousy fitment. It requires you flex the bumper quite a bit to install it how they want you to and I found it puts a lot of stress on the screws/holes. I've modified mine now to mitigate it but if I had to do it again I'd have gotten the T-Bone Typhon bumper like @jondilly1974 did.

I also have the Typhon 3s wing and love it. Looks dope and saves me from destroying the rear corner of the body during crashes. You do have to cut the body a little to make it fit so just be aware.

View attachment 68168
thanks for the heads up on the bumper- much appreciated!

I have a kraton 6s, Typhon 6s and 3s but wanted something I could use down my garden so I bought a granite mega.Got to say it's perfect.Fast enough to be fun but not to fast to be usable in a smaller space.I have added an outcast 4s wing and mount and outcast 4s body posts.

I just bought a GoldBat 5200mah 3s lipo for my Granite Mega, but soon after I put in the order on Amazon I read on the forums here that 2s is what I should be running.

Can anyone help me by telling me what else I need to upgrade to run a 3s lipo on my rig? Please! And thank you!

I just bought a GoldBat 5200mah 3s lipo for my Granite Mega, but soon after I put in the order on Amazon I read on the forums here that 2s is what I should be running.

Can anyone help me by telling me what else I need to upgrade to run a 3s lipo on my rig? Please! And thank you!

If you only want to run 2-3s and do nothing else then you will need a 3s capable brushed ESC and that's it. Something like a Hobbywing QuicRun WP1060.

If you only want to run 2-3s and do nothing else then you will need a 3s capable brushed ESC and that's it. Something like a Hobbywing QuicRun WP1060.
Thanks Tragedy. I added that bad boy to my amazon cart.

Hey, what if I'm thinking about eventually going brushless? Should I still buy this one in the mean time just to run the 3s without frying anything. I'm just thinking I don't need to rush to make the jump to brushless, right? I'm still new to the hobby anyways.

Thanks Tragedy. I added that bad boy to my amazon cart.

Hey, what if I'm thinking about eventually going brushless? Should I still buy this one in the mean time just to run the 3s without frying anything. I'm just thinking I don't need to rush to make the jump to brushless, right? I'm still new to the hobby anyways.

Brushless conversion is where things start to add up. New ESC, motor, pinion(s) (5mm), and you'll want to upgrade to the 32p gearing throughout because the 48p teeth start to wear out fast when putting more power in it. If you do this the best place to get most of the parts I found is from JRC or eBay. Buying a mega then upgrading to blx specs ends up costing more than just just buying a blx version to start with so many people choose to upgrade certain parts when they finally break something instead of just replacing it with the mega part. Whatever route you go make a list of what you would need in advance to get to where you'd want for a brushless setup so you don't overlook anything.

Yeah you're right if it's going to cost more then just buying the BLX I might as well invest in a new truck. I'll just cop that ESC you recommended so I can run the 3s I ordered.
Thanks again for the help!

2s max not only for the esc but for the motor as well. You will fry one or the other if you run 3s. Even the Hobbywing WP 1060 is only rated to a 12t 550 motor (stock) on 2s max don't believe me just look at the specs provided by Hobbywing https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...quicrun-10-esc-2-3s-brushed?variant=753399705. Some motors draw more current (amps) per given voltage than others. Just because an esc is rated for a certain voltage doesn't mean you can use any old motor with it using that voltage. Same goes for brushless motors the higher the kv the more current it will require per given voltage.

Suitable Battery
Brushed Motor Limit​
For 2S LiPo or 6 cell NiMH:
540 or 550 Size Motor: ≥12T,
Or RPM<30000 @7.2V

For 3S LiPo or 9 cell NiMH:
540 or 550 Size Motor: ≥18T
Or RPM< 20000 @7.2V

Cheapbastard, first off, I love your nameqnd thanm you for the reply!
Secondly, do you think it's worth it to buy an upgraded brushed motor and ESC and steering servo to run this the 3s battery i ordered?
What's your personal opinion and recommendation for me right now?

Regards

Cheapbastard, first off, I love your nameqnd thanm you for the reply!
Secondly, do you think it's worth it to buy an upgraded brushed motor and ESC and steering servo to run this the 3s battery i ordered?
What's your personal opinion and recommendation for me right now?

Regards

My recommendation is to go brushless if you want to run a 3s battery. From my experience finding a reliable brushed motor that performs well in any 1/10th scale 4x4 even on 2s that lasts is an exercise in futility.

Cost is going to come into factor and how much performance and speed you are looking to achieve. You don't need to get all the BLX parts unless you want it to run and perform like a BLX model. Right now a couple of $4.99 17t HD inputs and 60a esc 3650 motor combo can get you more speed on the cheap. Ultimately it's best to get all the BLX parts and a combo similar to the BLX100 3660 stock BLX brushless combo but like I said it's all in what you're looking for and willing to spend.

I think I'm going down the cheaper route for now and get those parts you shared with me. When I decide to upgrade more parts then I'll probably just upgrade to a better truck altogether.
Thanks for the advice everyone, you will hear from me with more questions real soon!
Peace!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back