Granite Granite mega servo upgrade and saver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sldnx01

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
After a year of totally rebuilding my mega 10 min into a new lipo, it landed awkward on a front corner. Took apart the traxxas servo I had upgraded to, broken teeth on all gears. I need a recommendation on a metal geared servo and which or how does a servo saver work in the granite mega?

Is your servo saver dead? I think only the servo got killed
Bassicly the servo saver is there to bassicly save your servo from destruction
But if the servo has plastic gears even a servo saver wont save that is weak

I don't think I have a servo saver. The steering is stock. I see servos with what looks like a huge gear. Mine is a tiny white gear on the servo and it goes into the black plastic housing. It's just stock like on the parts diagrams

Which part of my steering prevents damage then sorry I'm not an expert on steering Haha. It was like a low speed landing on the corner I did not expect to see all broken teeth in the servo even though they are plastic gears
No big deal. We’re here to help. It’s the thing screwed to the servo.

That black part I'm holding gets screwed onto the tiny white gear on servo.

Attachments

• 20190922_200523.jpg
    20190922_200523.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190922_200407.jpg
    20190922_200407.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 68
I'm gonna be that guy and say that the traxxas servo probably wouldn't be considered an upgrade. But you know this now. The amazon metal geared servos linked above are great for the cost and I like jx servos that are pretty much the same stuff as what you'll see at amazon. There are two JX servos that I can recommend but will have to link when I get back home. One for 3s and one for 6s but your Mega will probably be fine as long as you have metal gears throughout.

That black part I'm holding gets screwed onto the tiny white gear on servo.

That black part is called the servo horn the tiny white gear is the servo spline your second pic is the steering rack the servo saver is built into it. Traxxas servos have been known to get stripped gears. You can pick up a ADS-15 servo from a kit breaker on Ebay or Jennys RC for cheap. The ADS-15 is the same size as the stock ADS-5 servo that came stock. I don't own a 2wd Granite so I don't know what servos may or not fit. I know some servos are too tall to fit in my some of my 2wd stuff but you may have room for a taller than stock servo.

Really so I do have a servo saver?? I didnt realize traxxas servos were that bad. So which part is my servo saver then? Nothing really looks like it would save anything to me

Stock for a 2wd discontinued Granite.
Crap! I didn’t notice it was a discontinued Granite 2WD. Never even looked at the category he posted in. Forget all my posts above. They are relevant to the 4x4 line.

Really so I do have a servo saver?? I didnt realize traxxas servos were that bad. So which part is my servo saver then? Nothing really looks like it would save anything to me

Yes you do it's built into the steering rack. I will try to explain there are two plastic parts with a post and spring running thru them. These two pieces have a v shape on them that go together. The spring keeps tension on these two pieces keeping them together until enough force is applied to split the two pieces (saver function) apart allowing the wheels to turn taking the load of the servo to save it. Plastic geared servos are just that plastic geared some have better gears than others but they are still plastic. Again I don't have a 2wd Granite but I have other RC's that use a similar style saver.

Attachments

• 065cf166dc889b62068929c8ec69f1570c2357c2b5d72009d5cfdf8ea810fcec_LI.jpg
    065cf166dc889b62068929c8ec69f1570c2357c2b5d72009d5cfdf8ea810fcec_LI.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 5678d7fa051df394eb7f53c2e480b762ee13d9663541409e1499202919338cd4.jpg
    5678d7fa051df394eb7f53c2e480b762ee13d9663541409e1499202919338cd4.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Geeze thanks guys that clarifies absolutely everything thanks a million. Yes it's the discontinued one. It was all stock when I bought it, I put a castle creations system in it, now I cant keep it alive for a whole 2s battery charge lol.
Very first run with castle motor I blew the rear end. Now that's all rebuilt steel gears too. But ok I will definately buy a steel geared servo!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back