Granite Granite mega to BLX conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey Guys,
My V3 Granite mega started off with its stock 15/91 setup and a brushed motor. upgraded to a metal spur and as a noob at the time i listened to my hobby shop and threw in the cheap Onyx 4000kv setup (Way too high KV for a granite). Surprisingly ran excellently. The 4000kv motor held up pretty well after almost a year and a half of bashing it on 2s with the 15/91 setup with decent speed and power. I decided i wanted more speed and grabbed a 18t traxxas pinion and still, no issues. The mayhem started when i bought a 3s. Crazy power first couple of runs. Then the issues started coming in. 6 pinions and 3 driveshafts later, i decided to switch out the stock setup for the 15/55 setup. Fifth run and the motor shaft snapped completely. found a used surpass 3300kv combo, ditched the esc and paired it with the old Onyx 70A ESC. didnt make it through the full run. Motor blew and after punching the throttle again so did the esc. now its just sitting as a roller but i still have hope for it. Do you guys think if i swap in the stock Blx Combo from the 3s Granite ill finally have a reliable and powerful basher?

You should. Sounds like some very used parts gave in after the power up. Are you running 4x4 or 2x4?
The esc might’ve had issues with 3s. Those usually run with 100amp max

You might double check that. Stock is .8 mod-57t. Probably won’t be that noticeable if it is 55, but if it’s mod1 with .8 mod pinion, that is why you’re losing pinions. 18/55 on a 4000kv motor is a lot more speed than stock 3s. So that would be very hard on the driveshafts. Surprised you didn’t lose any input/differential gears.

so will the BLX combo and a 15/55 setup be far more reliable compared to my old setups?

Not sure about the granite mega but I’ve just finished upgrading my vorteks boost to the the full 3s system, I had to put in a whole new 3s slipper assembly to cope with all that extra power plus replaced the stock plastic motor mount to the metal 3s version and chucked in a 3d printed motor support to stop any movement,
I went with the Hobbywing ezrun max 10 140a esc and the new g3 3660 3200kv motor and she absolutely rips with no issues at all

so will the BLX combo and a 15/55 setup be far more reliable compared to my old setups?
The only issue I see is the possible pitch difference in your pinion and spur. I’m not familiar with traxxas spurs (which is what the 55t is usually in) to know if the internals work the same way with the clutch pads and everything.

If you can confirm that the 15t pinion and 55t spur are the same mod/pitch, then you should be good to go with the stock blx everything else.

stock Blx Combo from the 3s Granite ill finally have a reliable and powerful basher?
Yes. As long as you also update the plastic motor mount to metal and have a matching .08 mod spur and pinion. Being a V3 the differentials are already brushless ready and .08 mod. But the spur and pinion that it came with as a brushed mega are 48dp. Also, if you’re running off road don’t try more then a 16T pinion on a stock 3s set up or you’ll be dealing with heat and other issues.

Yes. As long as you also update the plastic motor mount to metal and have a matching .08 mod spur and pinion. Being a V3 the differentials are already brushless ready and .08 mod. But the spur and pinion that it came with as a brushed mega are 48dp. Also, if you’re running off road don’t try more then a 16T pinion on a stock 3s set up or you’ll be dealing with heat and other issues.
pretty sure this was also one of my issues, i would run 20t pinions while doing off road bashing,
The only issue I see is the possible pitch difference in your pinion and spur. I’m not familiar with traxxas spurs (which is what the 55t is usually in) to know if the internals work the same way with the clutch pads and everything.

If you can confirm that the 15t pinion and 55t spur are the same mod/pitch, then you should be good to go with the stock blx everything else.
yup, the 15/55 setup is 32p

I wouldnt waste any time with the blx100.
I went the same route when i converted my mega, only to fry the blx100 in short order.
Went with a hobbywing max10sct and have had no problems since. Running stock spektrum motor, and a rocket 3670 3050kv sometimes. Even a few rips on 4s!
If anything go to the blx120, will be much more reliable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back