Granite Granite Mega v3 brushless set up and other upgrades recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutzzer

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

New to the hobby and have a Mega v3. I've done some research on what best combo to convert to brushless and have settled for Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 SCT Sensorless Brushless ESC/3660SL Motor Combo (3200kV) and upgrade to 17t pinion. Thoughts on this combo? Running 3S.

Lastly, what other recommendations would you make for the other parts? Everything besides the above combo is stock.
I shoulda went BLX when I first bought it but wanted the challenge to upgrade parts when I wanted it to.

Thanks for any input!

Make sure you have a heat sink and fan on the motor. You also need to buy the hd 13t input gears for the front and rear differentials and the 3s slipper clutch. With 3s you'll quickly strip out the mega spur gear with the teeth being smaller. Setting the mesh correctly will be a lot more critical with more power. Check out my build thread for a list of things I bought for my V2 Mega. The main difference in the V2 and V3 is the diffs. I'd also highly recommend making sure your motor has a 5mm shaft instead of the 3.5mm. The pinion grub screw is bigger allowing it to not strip as easy.

Fyi, the 3s BLX spur and pinion is a 0.8 mod gear. It can be tricky making sure you don't accidentally buy a 1 mod gear.

The easiest way to make sure you buy the right parts is to go to Jenny's Rc website. You can at least get the part numbers and search on eBay or Amazon for them. I find that to be easier than going to the Arrma website and looking at the exploded view of the vehicles.

Make sure you have a heat sink and fan on the motor. You also need to buy the hd 13t input gears for the front and rear differentials and the 3s slipper clutch. With 3s you'll quickly strip out the mega spur gear with the teeth being smaller. Setting the mesh correctly will be a lot more critical with more power. Check out my build thread for a list of things I bought for my V2 Mega. The main difference in the V2 and V3 is the diffs. I'd also highly recommend making sure your motor has a 5mm shaft instead of the 3.5mm. The pinion grub screw is bigger allowing it to not strip as easy.

Fyi, the 3s BLX spur and pinion is a 0.8 mod gear. It can be tricky making sure you don't accidentally buy a 1 mod gear.

The easiest way to make sure you buy the right parts is to go to Jenny's Rc website. You can at least get the part numbers and search on eBay or Amazon for them. I find that to be easier than going to the Arrma website and looking at the exploded view of the vehicles.
Wow, thank you for the info! I will look into your recommendation.
Thank you!

the v3 comes with hd inputs. but still have 48 pitch spur i would get the blx slipper which is 32 pitch gear's start with a 15t 32 pitch pinon if u go with the blx slipper

I run the same combo on 2S, the spur is still in great shape after two months of use. Would recommend you to use a BLX Slipper on 3S though. Also if you keep the stock slipper I'd go with a bigger pinion, I run a 24T, motor runs cool, truck is super quick

@chazekxt46 , @Prisma . @Kla912000 , I can just get the motor combo with the 17T/48p pinion no? I don't have to upgrade to the BLX slipper? Or if I get the motor combo, I have to upgrade the to the BLX slipper/32 pitch?

FYI, this is great info, I had no idea about the pitch with respect to gear size. I learned something today.

@chazekxt46 , @Prisma . @Kla912000 , I can just get the motor combo with the 17T/48p pinion no? I don't have to upgrade to the BLX slipper? Or if I get the motor combo, I have to upgrade the to the BLX slipper/32 pitch?

FYI, this is great info, I had no idea about the pitch with respect to gear size. I learned something today.
You can try using the stock spur gear, although on 3S it might not hold up that long.

Just so you're not confused, 32 pitch and 0.8mod are the same thing and refer to the pitch size of the gears. Obviously you have to get the same pitch for the spur gear and the pinion gear or they won't mesh properly.
You seem to show up on a lot of threads and seem knowledgable. I have a V3 Granite Mega and I bought the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 SCT Sensorless Brushless ESC, and I am trying to make sure that I get the right motor. I see you guys talking about pinion gears and other things and I am confused. I am too new to the hobby to feel comfortable with this. Is there a motor that I can pair with this ESC and a 2S/3S lipo that will just bolt in and go?

You seem to show up on a lot of threads and seem knowledgable. I have a V3 Granite Mega and I bought the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 SCT Sensorless Brushless ESC, and I am trying to make sure that I get the right motor. I see you guys talking about pinion gears and other things and I am confused. I am too new to the hobby to feel comfortable with this. Is there a motor that I can pair with this ESC and a 2S/3S lipo that will just bolt in and go?
Just buy the spektrum stock motor for the blx model.

Like @Steve38 said, you can get the stock Spektrum 3660/ 3200kv motor that comes in the Arrma BLX models from JennysRC at a decent price, or you can get a Hobbywing 3660/3200kv motor, which is basically the same thing. If you wanna spend less, you can always get a Surpass Hobby 3660/3200kv motor from Amazon or eBay for a lot less than the Hobbywing or Spektrum motors. Goin cheap on a brushless motor is ok. You just don't wanna go cheap on a ESC, but you already have a good quality ESC, so, no problem there. A Surpass Hobby motor will be around $30 or so and will suit you just fine. I run a Surpass Hobby 4s motor in my Big Rock and don't have any problems with it.

Now, the only other problem you are gonna have is that you will have to get a 3s BLX slipper clutch assembly, or at least a 0.8mod spur gear, and also a 0.8mod 15t pinion gear. The Mega series trucks come with a 48 pitch spur gear and will not be strong enough to handle 3s brushless power for a long period of time. And remember, 0 8mod is the same as 32 pitch.

Check out JennysRC for parts. They buy brand new RCs, take them apart and sell the parts at a much lower than retail price. And a lot of times you will get a complete assembly with bearings and all for a set price instead of buying every single part seperate.
if u do that keep a eye on motor bearings
This is the reason I would buy a Hobbywing or Surpass Hobby motor instead of a Spektrum. The Spektrum motor bearings always seem to go bad.

Back