Granite Granite Mega V3 converted to brushless-lots of cogging and sputtering troubles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladefan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
HI All,
I recently got the V3 Mega because I couldn't wait a week or so for the 3blx to get in stock...

Wish I had just got the 3s from the start but hopefully you all could help?

I had an old Traxxas veliniion VXL-3s esc and motor that I stuck in it... It worked fine for a bit and was quite a bit of fun!! I thought I was brilliant!

And then the ESC died (was from 2008 so it could just be too old). replaced with Sidewinder 3 esc. Finally destroyed the spur and now it doesn't seem right. I use a 2s lipo. Upgraded the spur with ARA311034 HD 57T slipper set and got a 15tooth pinion for the velineon motor

I don't know what exactly is going on, but it seems to "stall", like maybe the motor doesn't have enough power/torque. It seems to have trouble with getting moving. It cogs and sputters and then it will stop. especially on a small incline. I've screwed around with the slipper setting and the gear mesh and I don't think that is the problem. Is it my motor? Is my gearing the problem?

Thanks
ken

HI All,
I recently got the V3 Mega because I couldn't wait a week or so for the 3blx to get in stock...

Wish I had just got the 3s from the start but hopefully you all could help?

I had an old Traxxas veliniion VXL-3s esc and motor that I stuck in it... It worked fine for a bit and was quite a bit of fun!! I thought I was brilliant!

And then the ESC died (was from 2008 so it could just be too old). replaced with Sidewinder 3 esc. Finally destroyed the spur and now it doesn't seem right. I use a 2s lipo. Upgraded the spur with ARA311034 HD 57T slipper set and got a 15tooth pinion for the velineon motor

I don't know what exactly is going on, but it seems to "stall", like maybe the motor doesn't have enough power/torque. It seems to have trouble with getting moving. It cogs and sputters and then it will stop. especially on a small incline. I've screwed around with the slipper setting and the gear mesh and I don't think that is the problem. Is it my motor? Is my gearing the problem?

Thanks
ken
Pull the pinion off the motor and reassemble everything. Does it roll easily? If yes, it’s probably your motor. If no, keep pulling parts until you find the issue.

the granite need's a 3660 motor 3300 to 3500kv. I run the mega to. I run surpass hobby 3660 3300kv with 15/57 gearing on 2 s it rips..

Thank u for the info. LHS solved it for me. Turns out it was a loose connection. One of the three motor wire bullet connectors was too loose.

the granite need's a 3660 motor 3300 to 3500kv. I run the mega to. I run surpass hobby 3660 3300kv with 15/57 gearing on 2 s it rips..
Hallo, can i ask you, if Surpass hoby is ok? I want buy it to my mega, i want buy Rocket series 60A ESC and brusheless 550 3300 KV. In plan is uprgrade to 32DP pinion and spur and HD input gear. Ill run on 2s and after battery die, i buy 3s.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000382155636.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.20863c00LuRTfp&mp=1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001246039300.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.20863c00LuRTfp&mp=1
Thanks

yes surpass hobby is what I run get 80 to 100 amp esc if u are going to run 3s latter on I would upgrade to the blx diffs.

yes surpass hobby is what I run get 80 to 100 amp esc if u are going to run 3s latter on I would upgrade to the blx diffs.
I write them and they say, then 45A Is enough for this motor. I want buy 60A, but to the future may Will be 80A better. BLX diff u thing whole diff or only input gear?

80 amp is better get whole blx diffs from jenny's rc if in stock.:)

80 amp is better get whole blx diffs from jenny's rc if in stock.:)
Ok. Im from Czech republic, so shiping Is too high from Jeny, but IT isnt problem buy it somewher from other shop. IT IS normal Arrma original part right?

I think it also matters on the VERSION of the mega you have. Luckily I have local hobby shop but even they are confused by the number of versions. I bought my Granite Mega in Sept 2020 and it was the V3 version. I have not had to replace the diff gears or the input shaft. I have broken the rear bumper and a turnbuckle. In the drivetrain/transmission, I have stripped the spur gear. I think because it has 97 teeth, theyre too small for brushless.

The spur/slipper combo down there comes ASSEMBLED and is supposed to be cheaper than buying the parts separate and did NOT include the spring. Its shown in the exploded diagram of the 3s granite but I was re-assured that it was not needed. Have a run a few battery packs with no ill effects.

For awhile, I didnt understand gear mesh and stripping even the 57T gear.

to upgrade, I have bought-
ARA311035- HD 57T slipper Set (0.80) mod- US$50- which
This replaces the entire spur gear/slipper combo

ARA310881- Slipper shaft RED- IS needed to fit into the new spur/slipper -US$7

I was told I needed this below- but im pretty sure i didnt- but it does contain the spring I mentioned that was missing in the complete slipper set mentioned above. ARA311033- slipper clutch maintenance set.

as mentioned above, I broke the plastic MEGA turnbuckle, which is non adjustable, but I am replacing it with the 3S version which has some metal and is adjustable.

I still wish I bought the 3s version to start.

Does anyone know if this is useful? told it was optional.
ARA310878- center drive shaft high speed support
Is the ESC waterproof?

Last edited:
Yes version are 3 what i look. I have first i thing. I found, then different is differential input shaft. I have 17T (1M i tihng) and new version have 13T on 1.35M so it is better. May be it is same as on BLX, but i don't look on it. 32DP spur is necessary on brusheless and input diff shaft upgrade on HD (may be on V3 it isnt needed). Central drive shaft people recomend, but i see many cars on youtube, what they don't have it and ok. But it isnt so expensive, so certainly better buy it. Surpass hoby ESC is waterproof, same as each other. I see big test of RC motors and Surpass hoby Rocket series was very very good. So ill try buy them and will see. Ill upgrade only spur on 32 DP and input diff shaft, if diff die, i upgrade it on BLX version. Central drive high speed shaft i buy too, it is nothing i whole summ of money.....

Back