Granite Granite mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermoplyae

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Bought two granite mega 550 for the kids (5 and 7) and am looking to get more run time and quicker battery charging time. We are happy with the speed so not looking to upgrade to brushless. I will probably buy a granite 3S BLX for myself in the near future. What charger and battery should i think of getting? Was thinking about going to 2s lipo but will I need to upgrade other things to do so? Or should i just get a few more NiMH batteries? trying to keep this simple
Thanks

My son has a Granite Mega 500 as well. I bought a Reaction hardcase 2S Lipo 20C with 5000mAh. I think it's a nice fit for this brushed truck and we get a good 40-45minutes out of it. I also have the stock NiMH 2400mAh and another 3300mAh NiMH battery...so we can get good sessions with that setup. Don't forget to move the jumper on the ESC if you are switching battery type.

The Lipo is better, but I think an adult should be in charge of the battery handling/charging/storing.

For the charger I have a SkyRC D100 and it's working very well.

I will add on here that the 2S lipo will be a game changer. As others have said, change the jumper. You might also consider turning down the throttle limit as lipo will be a bit faster too. Run times will be way better.

My son has a Granite Mega 500 as well. I bought a Reaction hardcase 2S Lipo 20C with 5000mAh. I think it's a nice fit for this brushed truck and we get a good 40-45minutes out of it. I also have the stock NiMH 2400mAh and another 3300mAh NiMH battery...so we can get good sessions with that setup. Don't forget to move the jumper on the ESC if you are switching battery type.

The Lipo is better, but I think an adult should be in charge of the battery handling/charging/storing.

For the charger I have a SkyRC D100 and it's working very well.
This is exactly the info i was looking for. Thank you very much

The 2S lipo will be a great upgrade, but get one with a higher C rating. We have 2 granites and we use the Zeee 2S 5200 mAH 80C batteries and they're great. I paired them with a HTRC T240 charger that works well. Always remember to put the LiPo batteries in to storage mode (run a storage charge) when putting them away after use. This will prolong their lifespan. Charging from a storage charge to full 100% takes between 20 and 30 min iirc. Happy bashing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_125828.jpg
    IMG_20200331_125828.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200331_125842.jpg
    IMG_20200331_125842.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 40
The 2S lipo will be a great upgrade, but get one with a higher C rating. We have 2 granites and we use the Zeee 2S 5200 mAH 80C batteries and they're great. I paired them with a HTRC T240 charger that works well. Always remember to put the LiPo batteries in to storage mode (run a storage charge) when putting them away after use. This will prolong their lifespan. Charging from a storage charge to full 100% takes between 20 and 30 min iirc. Happy bashing.

About the C-rating: I know a brushless setup requires a higher C-rating (I think 35C minimum is generally recommended for brushless), but is a lower C-rating more appropriate for a brushed setup? I am thinking a battery with a high C-rating could cause the ESC of the brushed system to overheat (and get damaged) more easily. I would be interested to know if I am right or wrong about this... Thanks!

About the C-rating: I know a brushless setup requires a higher C-rating (I think 35C minimum is generally recommended for brushless), but is a lower C-rating more appropriate for a brushed setup? I am thinking a battery with a high C-rating could cause the ESC of the brushed system to overheat (and get damaged) more easily. I would be interested to know if I am right or wrong about this... Thanks!

Our granites are brushless (castle mamba x setup) so we use those batteries and I hadn't given thought to the C rating being to high for a brushed motor. As far as what I could dig up on the C rating, it pertains to the ability to deliver a consistent amount amperage (the below reference was pertaining to aircraft but it principle applies} :

"The "C" rating of a battery only specifies the amount of current a battery can safely provide. So a 1000mah 10C battery can safely provide 10 amps, a 1000mah 20C battery can safely provide 20 amps, etc. However it is the motor and it's propellor that determines the amount of current that will be required. So if a given motor/propellor combination requires 10 amps and you use a battery that can provide 30 amps only 10 amps will flow in the circuit. Increasing the current capacity of the battery will not increase the current in the circuit"

I equate that to hooking up my trailer to a 50 amperage hookup when I only need 30 Amps. My trailer will only draw what it needs, which would be 30. If I'm incorrect on this, someone please set me straight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back