Big Rock Granite or Big Rock for kids?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoJT

Reaction score
I bought my kids a 4X4 brushed Rustler 5 months ago for their birthday. Not knowing if they would like RC. Well turns out they love it!

Looking to get them an Arrma 3S model - considering the Big Rock or Granite as I think it would be a different driving experience vs. the Rustler. What are everyone's thoughts on Big Rock vs. Granite? Pro's/Cons to each model?

I have Traxxas batteries that I'd like to use with whatever Arrma model I get them. Is there an adapetr that will convert the Traxxas ID Lipo 2S batteries they have to work with the ESC that comes with the Arrma 3S models? I also have a Traxxas charger so really hoping I can make this work and use their Traxxas batteries with the Rustlers and w/e Arrma I end up getting them.

Thank you in advance!

I don't want to change the connector on the Traxxas batteries that I own. Looking to see if there is an adapter.... or if it's possible to change the connection on the Arrma ESC.

Yes, you can get (or make) adapters

I don't want to change the connector on the Traxxas batteries that I own. Looking to see if there is an adapter.... or if it's possible to change the connection on the Arrma ESC.
Don’t buy an adapter. Either swap connectors or buy more batteries.

I agree on BR.... I use adapters on my lower-powered Vaterra RCs on brushed motors...but on the brushless and 2-3S power I would not use an adapter due to the power you are dealing with.

That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming.

Any ideas on my battery dilemma?
Like said above, adapters are not a good idea with high voltage systems. They offer more resistance, can overheat, and sometimes melt. They also come disconnected easily when bashing. You're better off replacing connectors or buying new lipos. You can change the connector on the Arrma ESC, but that will void warranty.

Like said above, adapters are not a good idea with high voltage systems. They offer more resistance, can overheat, and sometimes melt. They also come disconnected easily when bashing. You're better off replacing connectors or buying new lipos. You can change the connector on the Arrma ESC, but that will void warranty.
Great info, thanks guys. I think it makes sense to change the connection on the ESC. If that is even possible, I was reading that Traxxas doesn’t sell the connector to their ID batteries...

I really don’t want to buy new batteries and charger.

I don’t want to turn this into an argument over adapters, but I have used them with great success on things as small as 2s on a Rustler up to 8s on my XMaxx and Outcast 8s

I have 7 Traxxas batteries that are the ID style batteries and not all of my ESC’s are Traxxas plugs. I still use the Traxxas batteries with adapters to the IC5’s that I have on most of my ESC’s.

I have NEVER had any issues with melting or even overheating. I don’t disagree that it’s not as good as a connection as a matched plug, but again, MY actual experience is not as what has been described here in this thread and I often wonder if the people who are strongly discouraging adapters, have ever used them and had failures?

just my $0.02 for what it’s worth.

I don’t want to turn this into an argument over adapters, but I have used them with great success on things as small as 2s on a Rustler up to 8s on my XMaxx and Outcast 8s

I have 7 Traxxas batteries that are the ID style batteries and not all of my ESC’s are Traxxas plugs. I still use the Traxxas batteries with adapters to the IC5’s that I have on most of my ESC’s.

I have NEVER had any issues with melting or even overheating. I don’t disagree that it’s not as good as a connection as a matched plug, but again, MY actual experience is not as what has been described here in this thread and I often wonder if the people who are strongly discouraging adapters, have ever used them and had failures?

just my $0.02 for what it’s worth.
I didn’t have problems with adapter until I did.

Can you post a link to the adapter? I’m looking to run 2s Traxxas ID battery to an Arrma 3s Big Rock. I did see that Arrma suggests a 30c battery and Traxxas is rated at 25c....

Is that the old Traxxas connector? I’m using the Traxxas ID connector.
That is only relevant for charging. The adapters I linked are the ones I use with ID plug batteries. You just can’t charge them with the adapter. Charge them with the Traxxas charger, drive them in any EC5 Plugged car.

You rock! Big thank you! I'll order them now!
Just be sure you properly match the male/female connection. I have accidentally ordered plugs in the wrong configuration.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back