Granite Granite spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deereman7

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey guys. Got another question. My two boys have the regular granite and I run the blx. I'm getting all the same parts accumulated. My one boy tore up his plastic spur gear. I looked to order 3 for us and noticed a difference. What should the boys run for gears then what should I run? Should I change theirs to a different one? Make them faster? Brand? Thx for any input.

I upgraded my normal granite with the steel hot racing spur gear. It is the same as the stock gear, 91 tooth/48 pitch, but stronger. I also switched to their aluminum slipper pad. So far no problems and it has handled more power just fine. I did have to upgrade the diff input shafts to the HD 17 tooth model, but the diffs themselves haven’t had any problems. For me that was easier than buying the 3S trucks diffs, spur, motor mount, and slipper assembly from a kit breaker.

However, buying all the 3S bits for the two brushed trucks is certainly an option, and it would mean you share more parts between all three trucks. That might make more sense for you than it did for me...but you aren’t going to break the hot racing spur gear, so it may not matter if all your trucks use it or not.

if u go with the steel hr spur get the extra hard pinon too

Absolutely no point in wasting that much cash on a steel spur gear, let alone for a truck like this. Just get a 32p plastic spur gear and a 32p normal pinion. The 48p is very brittle... 32p very strong. No need for steel. Causes way more problems and risk then needed.

Absolutely no point in wasting that much cash on a steel spur gear, let alone for a truck like this. Just get a 32p plastic spur gear and a 32p normal pinion. The 48p is very brittle... 32p very strong. No need for steel. Causes way more problems and risk then needed.

I'm almost positive @chazekxt46 runs the steel spur without issue.

True. Assuming you are on the stock motor, or something similar, no upgrade is needed. I should have clarified that I upgraded my Mega 4x4 to a brushless motor, and actually needed to upgrade the slipper system because of problems related to the brushless system.

If you want a slipper assembly that is stronger than stock on the Mega 4x4's, the HR Spur and the 3S slipper are probably the two easiest upgrades, and they really aren't that different in price. Assuming they get any back in stock, Jenny's RC was listing the complete slipper assembly from the 3S trucks for ~$26, and the HR spur gear is ~$29 plus $4 for the upgraded slipper pad, so not really a big price difference either way. I mostly went with the steel gear because it was in stock when I needed it, and was cheaper than trying to buy up all the parts to make a 3S slipper assembly individually. Actually, to put the 3S slipper into a mega 4x4, you are going to need a new pinion gear, and you probably want to switch to the 3S motor mount as well if you want it to be drop-in, which would end up being more expensive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back