Granite steering issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwdm1537

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So... got a Granite Mega a couple of weeks ago, brand new. Bought it for my daughter for her birthday. Have ran maybe 5-6 packs through it. Everything seemed to be fine, was having fun with it, etc.. Typical driving, small wrecks, small jumps (2-3 feet max). Couple of days ago it started having problems with the steering. It'll run fine for a couple of minutes and then start veering one way or the other, usually right. I can correct it with the trim, but then again a minute or two later it'll start doing it again. It's to the point where we can't even really have fun with it because it's a constant battle to make it go straight.

I'm fairly new to this hobby, so diagnosing the issue myself isn't really an option. A friend of mine told me it may be the servo, saying that the stock servo in this (and most) RTR RC's is far from good. I spoke with ARRMA and they agreed that it may be the servo and are in the process of sending me a new one, which I hope to have in the next day or two. Was waiting patiently for that, but a friend asked me to go to the local hobby shop with him tonight, so I did and took my Granite with. They don't seem to think it's a servo issue, but may be the servo saver. They tightened it and when running everything seemed to be fine at first, but then it started doing the same thing again (veering significantly to the right). It's such a strong sway that it'll make tight donuts when just holding the throttle.

So now I'm a bit worried... if it is just the servo, great.. I'll replace it and go from there and then step up to an after market servo when/if this new one starts having problems. But I'm wondering if other people are having similar issues and if they can give any input... Is it the servo? Another issue entirely?

Theeen... I'm thinking of buying a Granite BLX for myself, that way my daughter and I can run together. I figure then I can buy aluminum or other upgrades for the BLX and move its parts to the Mega. Have heard horror stories about the ESC in the BLX though, with many people having theirs catch fire and burn up large parts of the truck. Is this still the case? Have they started issuing the truck with a different/better ESC? Are there any other major concerns with the BLX, or reason that I shouldn't look in to that model for myself? Again, I'm fairly new to the hobby, so the speed/power of it is more than enough. I'm not looking for anything much faster than 45-50mph.

I appreciate any input on either matter that anyone can give... and thank you for your time.

-J&S

Since you've checked all this, contact Arrma Support Service and see if they can help you with this issue.

So... got a Granite Mega a couple of weeks ago, brand new. Bought it for my daughter for her birthday. Have ran maybe 5-6 packs through it. Everything seemed to be fine, was having fun with it, etc.. Typical driving, small wrecks, small jumps (2-3 feet max). Couple of days ago it started having problems with the steering. It'll run fine for a couple of minutes and then start veering one way or the other, usually right. I can correct it with the trim, but then again a minute or two later it'll start doing it again. It's to the point where we can't even really have fun with it because it's a constant battle to make it go straight.

I'm fairly new to this hobby, so diagnosing the issue myself isn't really an option. A friend of mine told me it may be the servo, saying that the stock servo in this (and most) RTR RC's is far from good. I spoke with ARRMA and they agreed that it may be the servo and are in the process of sending me a new one, which I hope to have in the next day or two. Was waiting patiently for that, but a friend asked me to go to the local hobby shop with him tonight, so I did and took my Granite with. They don't seem to think it's a servo issue, but may be the servo saver. They tightened it and when running everything seemed to be fine at first, but then it started doing the same thing again (veering significantly to the right). It's such a strong sway that it'll make tight donuts when just holding the throttle.

So now I'm a bit worried... if it is just the servo, great.. I'll replace it and go from there and then step up to an after market servo when/if this new one starts having problems. But I'm wondering if other people are having similar issues and if they can give any input... Is it the servo? Another issue entirely?

Theeen... I'm thinking of buying a Granite BLX for myself, that way my daughter and I can run together. I figure then I can buy aluminum or other upgrades for the BLX and move its parts to the Mega. Have heard horror stories about the ESC in the BLX though, with many people having theirs catch fire and burn up large parts of the truck. Is this still the case? Have they started issuing the truck with a different/better ESC? Are there any other major concerns with the BLX, or reason that I shouldn't look in to that model for myself? Again, I'm fairly new to the hobby, so the speed/power of it is more than enough. I'm not looking for anything much faster than 45-50mph.

I appreciate any input on either matter that anyone can give... and thank you for your time.

-J&S
Did you ever find the problem? Having the EXACT SAME ISSUE! if you fixed it any advice would be a huge help!

I just got the blx version. Did the same thing right out of the box. The steering servo seems weak. The servo makes a lot of straining noise in neurtal and doesn't center when the truck is sitting still. I've read numerous complaints about the servo and the transmitter. Everyone seems the agree that they suck. I just ordered a better servo and the dumborc x6 transmitter. Should sort things out.

I just got the blx version. Did the same thing right out of the box. The steering servo seems weak. The servo makes a lot of straining noise in neurtal and doesn't center when the truck is sitting still. I've read numerous complaints about the servo and the transmitter. Everyone seems the agree that they suck. I just ordered a better servo and the dumborc x6 transmitter. Should sort things out.
I changed the servo on mine to a 20kg and also running a different rx/tx combo. I'm wondering if that small servo saver is bad or not. That might be it cause it's all over the place.

Oh wow. So, you still have the issue after replacing the servo/trx. I didn't even think about the servo saver.

Oh wow. So, you still have the issue after replacing the servo/trx. I didn't even think about the servo saver.
Yeah its driving me nuts lol. It won't stay straight. When it goes under power it veers off and when I turn it just doesn't straighten out. Its hard to explain but its just horrible trying to drive it.

I hear ya. Mine does the same. I almost smashed into a car at 40mph. If you fix it, post it, and I'll to the same. I read the steering link screws might be too tight in this thread.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/granite-steering-issues.15178/post-199594

I have the exact same problem on TWO - yes TWO - Granites, both about 3 months old (20 packs MAX) through each. I decided to upgrade one of them to see if I could solve the problem. I changed the servo to a Savox (I think it was a 20 kg), upgraded to a new bell crank assembly (aluminum with bearings and not bushings), and added sealed bearings for all four tires.

And it still does it. Can't even begin to tell you how frustrated I am, we can't drive our trucks because we can't control them and eventually someone is going to get hurt.. The ONLY thing I didn't do was upgrade the servo saver but maybe I'll try that as a last resort. Honestly, if that doesn't fix it, I'm gonna throw them in a box and kick them into a corner of my garage and let them sit there. I'm so annoyed that I'm looking at other brands to purchase. I've read way too many posts to think that this is a coincidence. Really beginning to regret my purchase.

Needless to say, if anyone has any ideas on what to do, please share.

I have the exact same problem on TWO - yes TWO - Granites, both about 3 months old (20 packs MAX) through each. I decided to upgrade one of them to see if I could solve the problem. I changed the servo to a Savox (I think it was a 20 kg), upgraded to a new bell crank assembly (aluminum with bearings and not bushings), and added sealed bearings for all four tires.

And it still does it. Can't even begin to tell you how frustrated I am, we can't drive our trucks because we can't control them and eventually someone is going to get hurt.. The ONLY thing I didn't do was upgrade the servo saver but maybe I'll try that as a last resort. Honestly, if that doesn't fix it, I'm gonna throw them in a box and kick them into a corner of my garage and let them sit there. I'm so annoyed that I'm looking at other brands to purchase. I've read way too many posts to think that this is a coincidence. Really beginning to regret my purchase.

Needless to say, if anyone has any ideas on what to do, please share.
Did you change the transmitter too? I've read the stock transmitter sucks.

Hi

Something you guys should know about the older Granites and Raiders, they had a porlly designed steer mechanism. Small moving metal parts under lots of torque being held inplace by really soft plastic is not a good combination.

This was my solution to the bad design, the last post is what I am still using.
SC10 Steering bellcrank

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back