Granite Granite tire failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy all - I shredded my first tire yesterday doing a wheelie. The kids, wife, and I had been at the baseball field less than 5 minutes. :confused: Earlier in the day, the truck did go through quite a large puddle as we've had a ton of rain lately. I couldn't see the puddle in the grass and didn't know it was there, my wife told me she could barely see the tops of the tires in the puddle, so it was deep.

I'm new to the hobby R/C world, always wanted to join when I was younger. I've now read and learned about venting tires and will do so moving forward.

I've ordered a couple new Granite stock tires along with a full set of Duratrax Lockups. Seems everyone has tires out of stock though, so it'll be a while before I can get running again.

The question I have is regarding mixing new tires with used tires... Any reason I should not throw a brand new tire on the truck with 3 other tires that have some wear? In the 3 weeks I've had the truck, I've had about a dozen runs and the rear tires were showing more wear than the fronts, so I did a tire rotation the night before the blowout.

20200516_164858.jpg

Howdy all - I shredded my first tire yesterday doing a wheelie. The kids, wife, and I had been at the baseball field less than 5 minutes. :confused: Earlier in the day, the truck did go through quite a large puddle as we've had a ton of rain lately. I couldn't see the puddle in the grass and didn't know it was there, my wife told me she could barely see the tops of the tires in the puddle, so it was deep.

I'm new to the hobby R/C world, always wanted to join when I was younger. I've now read and learned about venting tires and will do so moving forward.

I've ordered a couple new Granite stock tires along with a full set of Duratrax Lockups. Seems everyone has tires out of stock though, so it'll be a while before I can get running again.

The question I have is regarding mixing new tires with used tires... Any reason I should not throw a brand new tire on the truck with 3 other tires that have some wear? In the 3 weeks I've had the truck, I've had about a dozen runs and the rear tires were showing more wear than the fronts, so I did a tire rotation the night before the blowout.

View attachment 80954
You should replace all of the but just the rear is ok ..

You need to vent the tires to keep the dirt and water from being trapped inside. The extra weight of the water and dirt will blow them out.

newbie here... so basically you make holes in the tyres then run the truck and the dirt gets splashed outside and after that you seal the holes or you just leave the holes there?

newbie here... so basically you make holes in the tyres then run the truck and the dirt gets splashed outside and after that you seal the holes or you just leave the holes there?
You can seal the wheel holes if you want. You only need the holes in the tires.

why the tyres are not coming with holes as stock? Is general consensus here to seal the holes after venting or leave them? Is the main reason why tyres fail when doing speed runs is due to the debris and dirt accumulated inside which cause loads of rotational weight etc?

Also is it very difficult to replace a tyre and glue it to the rim? Reading the forum I got an impression is a kind of nightmare job

Thanks a mill for all the inputs

why the tyres are not coming with holes as stock? Is general consensus here to seal the holes after venting or leave them? Is the main reason why tyres fail when doing speed runs is due to the debris and dirt accumulated inside which cause loads of rotational weight etc?

Also is it very difficult to replace a tyre and glue it to the rim? Reading the forum I got an impression is a kind of nightmare job

Thanks a mill for all the inputs
Arrma started venting the tires on the Mojave, so maybe they will start doing it for all models in the future.

Thanks for the info. Idea being more dirt gets into tyres thanks to additional holes but then loads more gets out as well. Probably makes sense as there is no air obviously in the tyre so no need to seal

Thats what im saying was it vented to get rid of dirt and water?
How do you vent the tyre? I'm not sure I'll have a go at doing it, but I have heard this mentioned a lot... Should I consider doing it if no doing speed runs etc?

How do you vent the tyre? I'm not sure I'll have a go at doing it, but I have heard this mentioned a lot... Should I consider doing it if no doing speed runs etc?
All tires should be vented IMO. I use a brass tube sharpened with a hobby knife inserted into a drill chuck. I place four holes in the center of the tread equally spaced 90 degrees apart. I also use tape to seal the wheel holes.

I vent my tyres before they touch the ground, they are a good year old and get battered almost daily. The glue comes unstuck now and then but they are lasting well.
I use a Dremel with a small sanding bit or failing that pop a hot soldering iron through them in two places at opposite sides.

View attachment 80954

same thing happens to me. Just replaced the bad tire with a new tire and foam but make sure to vent the tire and seal up the holes on the wheels. Do it to the other tires too. I haven’t had a problem with the stock tires since. I had 3 blow apart ???‍♂️

I actually used a 223 Remington cartridge that i sharpened the case mouth on and my cordless drill. Worked great and free!

Attachments

• 89F5BCFD-53DF-4E46-9FBC-0A2B602DFA9E.jpeg
    89F5BCFD-53DF-4E46-9FBC-0A2B602DFA9E.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
You keep the holes in the tires open, air need to get in and out. but don't worry about stuff getting into your tire through that hole, the centrifugal force wont let anything in, and things that get inside while the tire is not rotating will spit outside the moment the wheel start turning.

The holes in the rim are the one you seal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back