Granite Granite tire Question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Hi

I'm converting my Raider XL BLX into a Granite BLX and I was wondering if HPI Savage 1/8 scale stock monster truck tires would be to big for it to handle. I ask because I have a complete set that I was going to use on a Savage but never did, and I thought that if they will work on the Granite then why not use them. I know each tire weighs 5oz. more then a stock Granite tire.

Hi

I'm converting my Raider XL BLX into a Granite BLX and I was wondering if HPI Savage 1/8 scale stock monster truck tires would be to big for it to handle. I ask because I have a complete set that I was going to use on a Savage but never did, and I thought that if they will work on the Granite then why not use them. I know each tire weighs 5oz. more then a stock Granite tire.
Just be careful with the tire weight. I am not familiar with those tires. I put the 2.8" PL belted tires on it and with that weight difference from the stock I instantly began to eat my spur/diff gears. Making it work requires metal gearing, CVDs, etc. for me. Finally went back to stock and got a 6S rig.

Best of luck! It can work but be careful of the journey if it is a large tire weight difference.

Hi

That is a good size/weight tire. To avoid popping driveshafts and hurting differentials, loosen the slipper a touch while you’re experimenting with the tires.

You know, on second thought those tires may not be a good idea. That’s more than a pound of additional tire weight and the additional rotation mass is huge. If I remember right, on my mountain bike if I chose tires that were just 6 ounces heavier it was the equivalent of adding 5-6lbs pounds of tire rotational weight while they’re in action. But that was many years ago and I tend to forget details.

That is a good size/weight tire. To avoid popping driveshafts and hurting differentials, loosen the slipper a touch while you’re experimenting with the tires.

You know, on second thought those tires may not be a good idea. That’s more than a pound of additional tire weight and the additional rotation mass is huge. If I remember right, on my mountain bike if I chose tires that were just 6 ounces heavier it was the equivalent of adding 5-6lbs pounds of tire rotational weight while they’re in action. But that was many years ago and I tend to forget details.
+1
I agree. Bicycle tires is a good analogy. Been there. Cycling and building them is my other hobby.

+1
I agree. Bicycle tires is a good analogy. Been there. Cycling and building them is my other hobby.
Yup. I haven’t been able to ride in years but I still love the lifestyle. I’ll also always follow professional tour riders in Europe like I’ve been doing since I was 18. Cool thing is, my stepdaughter finally got up on two wheels without training wheels. So I will dust off my old stump jumper and start riding around the neighborhood with her. My wife said OK as long as I don’t do anything stupid on my bike 😂

Hi

Well I got some tires that are the right size, unfortunately the rims that came with the tires are giving me problems. In the front the hex hole is too deep and when the wheel nut is tightened down the the wheels lock up, and in the back I'm unable to tighten the wheel nuts down because I'm using AE RC10T4 CVD's which uses a bigger nut ant the rims have counter sunk nut holes, which means I need a super thin wall socket for the nuts.

Anyone have any suggestions for rims, the tire require 2.2 inch rims.

Hi

I fixed the problem, I used Rustler front axles and hex's, and used RPM Front Revolver wheels for the Rustler.

Hi

Well I finished my Raider XL to Granite conversion. Now all I need are some new battery packs.

IMG_5712.JPG

Hi

Well I got new battery packs and I have to say I am sorrily disappointed in the performance of the Granite, it is a lot slower and less responsive. I definitely liked it better as the Raider XL, so I think I'll just change it back to a raider.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back