Vorteks Granite tires on the vorteks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think you are going to enjoy it. I recently sold two Rustler 4x4s and a Rustler 2wd, all VXLs used for street use. When the Vorteks came out I jumped on it because I needed a dedicated street basher.
So do I…so do I!! A dirt track Whoopty whoop speed runner yup.

Think you are going to enjoy it. I recently sold two Rustler 4x4s and a Rustler 2wd, all VXLs used for street use. When the Vorteks came out I jumped on it because I needed a dedicated street basher.

I'm subscribed to some YouTube channels that would curl up and die if they knew you actually sold several Traxxas vehicles to fund an Arrma. Haha great stuff.

Arrma fast and tough.

I have a Granite, looks like you do too. But if I got a Vorteks, I would never do this. It defeats the whole purpose of the Vorteks. The Vorteks is supposed to be low to the ground for speed, stability and control. If you want to jump with less chassis slap, use your Granite. Use the Vorteks for speed and control on flatter ground. Granite tires on a Vorteks gives you an RC that jumps worse than your Granite and handles speed worse than a stock Vorteks.
Not true vorteks jumps great with granite tyres. It flips faster too.
I have a Granite, looks like you do too. But if I got a Vorteks, I would never do this. It defeats the whole purpose of the Vorteks. The Vorteks is supposed to be low to the ground for speed, stability and control. If you want to jump with less chassis slap, use your Granite. Use the Vorteks for speed and control on flatter ground. Granite tires on a Vorteks gives you an RC that jumps worse than your Granite and handles speed worse than a stock Vorteks.
Not true, I've tried both granite and big rock tyres on vorteks and it's a great jumper. Flips faster than granite too.

Not true vorteks jumps great with granite tyres. It flips faster too.
If you have Granite tires on your Vorteks, then it's the same wheel base, same wheels. The only reason it flips faster is the 18 tooth pinion. A Granite will flip just as fast with an 18t pinion. Plus the Granite has longer shocks for better landings. The Granite is the better choice for jumping. The Vorteks is the better choice for speed bashing. Plus for a very similar vehicle, the price difference ...

Granite plus 18tooth pinion = $330
Vorteks plus Granite tires = $430

Yep. The cost equation is clear. However, we bought the vorteks to give my daughter a basher so that we could enjoy RC together. She didn’t want a granite Or a BR like mine and I couldn’t persuade her to have a Typhon. The vorteks Isnt perfectly suited to the job with its low ground clearance (and terrible run time) but it looks great and with Fortress tyres (coupled with that useful AVC) should retain most of its handling, whilst improving its jumping. The run time issue is a current pain point but is getting resolved with a max10sct which has a user selectable LVC point.

Yep. The cost equation is clear. However, we bought the vorteks to give my daughter a basher so that we could enjoy RC together. She didn’t want a granite Or a BR like mine and I couldn’t persuade her to have a Typhon. The vorteks Isnt perfectly suited to the job with its low ground clearance (and terrible run time) but it looks great and with Fortress tyres (coupled with that useful AVC) should retain its handling, whilst improving its jumping. The run time issue is a current pain point but is getting resolved with a max10sct which has a user selectable LVC point.

Will be interested in how it goes with the max10sct. Nice looking esc.

Will be interested in how it goes with the max10sct. Nice looking esc.
Arrives very soon and will report back (and update my Vorteks LVC thread). I tried it with a blx100 and was surprised it wasn’t much better. Will also be trying the 15T pinion from my BR to eek out runtime. Anyway, enough of that here. It’s not the main subject.

Yep. The cost equation is clear. However, we bought the vorteks to give my daughter a basher so that we could enjoy RC together. She didn’t want a granite Or a BR like mine and I couldn’t persuade her to have a Typhon. The vorteks Isnt perfectly suited to the job with its low ground clearance (and terrible run time) but it looks great and with Fortress tyres (coupled with that useful AVC) should retain most of its handling, whilst improving its jumping. The run time issue is a current pain point but is getting resolved with a max10sct which has a user selectable LVC point.
That’s the same problem I had with my vorteks. When I would hit the throttle hard, even with a fresh battery, it would suck so much juice all at once it would drop one or more cells below 3.9 briefly and set off LVC. So I put a glitch buster on it and haven’t had issue since. For 8 bucks it’s a really simple cheap fix. Hmmm, price went up to $8.50 lol. Everything’s going up bit by bit. Blah.

I didn’t like the stock tires so much. So I put on belted ST mx28s. Now it’s a much nicer ride for the rocky dusty type terrain we got. It jumps good too. When we take the granite to the skate park or dirt jumps I can’t resist airing the vorteks out a bit. It’s flips fine even with the belted MX28s. But the rear stock shocks don’t like jumping and tend to collapse (killed 4 so far), so waiting on a set of 6s shocks for the rear. I’ll leave the front stock because they seem to do just fine. Regardless of how similar this car is to the granite, it doesn’t drive like a granite whatsoever. Last time I pulled the motor I went ahead and threw a 16 tooth pinion on as we just don’t need the top end speed. It still is so damn fast with tons of torque.

2528AAC1-CD10-49A6-81D3-42264C819F56.png

The cost equation is clear. However, we bought the vorteks to give my daughter a basher so that we could enjoy RC together. She didn’t want a granite Or a BR like mine and I couldn’t persuade her to have a Typhon.
Well, can't put a price on a daughter's happiness. That purple and pink body is just too pretty. :)

Last edited:
My Vorteks is the most problematic of my 3 Arrmas. Only the Spectrum ESC has survived, I've replaced the motor, servo and Radio system as each component failed. I've destroyed the body, done several rear diffs and yesterday stripped a screw that holds the servo/ESC into so had to replace my 3rd servo from the top.

No issues with any of the rear shocks but have replaced both of the front shocks.

I don't know why it seems to require twice the work of my other 2s Arrmas to keep running, but it's so much fun to drive when it's going well.

BTW I tried Granite tyres on it to improve the grip over stock and it just wanted to wheelie and roll over like a turtle.

Oh yeah IMO the DSSERVO 25kg Amazon specials are too slow to be any good. They made the Vorteks to lazy to drive well. Replaced yesterday with a JX ECOBOOST 21kg and it's a major improvement. A servo that can actually keep up. Get what you pay for!

That’s the same problem I had with my vorteks. When I would hit the throttle hard, even with a fresh battery, it would suck so much juice all at once it would drop one or more cells below 3.9 briefly and set off LVC. So I put a glitch buster on it and haven’t had issue since. For 8 bucks it’s a really simple cheap fix. Hmmm, price went up to $8.50 lol. Everything’s going up bit by bit. Blah.

I didn’t like the stock tires so much. So I put on belted ST mx28s. Now it’s a much nicer ride for the rocky dusty type terrain we got. It jumps good too. When we take the granite to the skate park or dirt jumps I can’t resist airing the vorteks out a bit. It’s flips fine even with the belted MX28s. But the rear stock shocks don’t like jumping and tend to collapse (killed 4 so far), so waiting on a set of 6s shocks for the rear. I’ll leave the front stock because they seem to do just fine. Regardless of how similar this car is to the granite, it doesn’t drive like a granite whatsoever. Last time I pulled the motor I went ahead and threw a 16 tooth pinion on as we just don’t need the top end speed. It still is so damn fast with tons of torque.

View attachment 159971
So which 6S shocks fit the rear ?

So which 6S shocks fit the rear ?
Mojave or Kraton front shox. Forget which one, I’ll have to look it up later…on vacation for a few days.
Mojave or Kraton front shox. Forget which one, I’ll have to look it up later…on vacation for a few days.
Mojave 6s exb.Just remembered. But I haven’t put them on yet Im waiting for my axial bushings to come in. Finally found a set lol

Yeah…There is absolutely no problem with making a Vorteks your own. I run Badlands belted ST tires mostly. Just swapped the stock tires from my wife’s big rock out of curiosity and they are not bad at all.

just like with any hobby level RC car the option is there to make it drive like you want on the terrain you have. Granite Tires, big rock tires, badlands…Whatever makes the right kinda sense for you. Buying an rc car with no intent other than driving it like its ‘designed for’ makes very little sense. I’m in San Antonio which is rocky dusty and rough. The stock tires basically suck for that.

For me, to keep the stock tires on the vortex would’ve been stupid and I would not like it near as much as I do now. I also like to jump and whatever car I’m driving I’m gonna jump it. I love backflips with the Vorteks with the belted tires. I’ve been told it’s Impossible… but the vorteks doesn’t know this, and flips very nice on belted ST tires.

So whatever car you have, make it yours. There’s no reason to be shamed for driving on tires that suite your terrain and style just because ‘They aren’t meant for that’. Do what works for you.

Oh u did find a set huh??🤷 where????😲
🤫 I looked every freakin’ where. I did not want to half ass it with fuel line so I was patient and kept looking. Some little hobby shop named Tony’s hobby shop had a lot of Axiel parts and the bushings. $4 a set but had $8 shipping, so I bought 2 sets with the same $8 shipping. Just got them in the mail today…total of 4 days turnaround from order to receipt.

🤫 I looked every freakin’ where. I did not want to half ass it with fuel line so I was patient and kept looking. Some little hobby shop named Tony’s hobby shop had a lot of Axiel parts and the bushings. $4 a set but had $8 shipping, so I bought 2 sets with the same $8 shipping. Just got them in the mail today…total of 4 days turnaround from order to receipt.
Hmm. Gonna check around more. Maybe I'll find them also. Lucky 🐕 😆

Do they go right on or what modifications do you have to make?
They’re a 14mm hex wheel, like the stock ones are so they fit right on BUT they’re wider so will rub the body on turns. And that means you need to widen the truck to use them. That’s very straightforward, inexpensive and quick to do.
You could get hex extenders but the better way imho is to change the arms to Typhon A arms (might as well get RPMs) and then get a six pack of Typhon rod ends/turnbuckles/pillow balls from
A breakers like Jenny’s. That’s all you need.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back