Granite Granite upgrade to 4s!! Help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revilljm

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Hello everyone hope you are all well!
I want to turn my arrma granite 3s into 4s anyone know of any parts I could use in order to allow the entire Vehicle to handle 4s Power?
I need to upgrade the motor, speed controller, wheels and drive shafts!
can Anyone think of anything else I should upgrade. E.g. differentials
Has anyone got any ideas as to what parts I should get. Anyone know of any 4s capable drive shaft upgrades or motor and esc upgrades.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!

No problem I wish I knew more but I don’t have one of the small trucks
After a quick look the Kv is almost twice as much but you’ve set me off on a good idea because I will just get a lower kv motor kit! Also the stock pinion is 15t and minimum is 13t so I can’t hear it down.
I might just get a lower kv one and have a 15t-26t pinion!

After a quick look the Kv is almost twice as much but you’ve set me off on a good idea because I will just get a lower kv motor kit! Also the stock pinion is 15t and minimum is 13t so I can’t hear it down.
I might just get a lower kv one and have a 15t-26t pinion!
Low kv = higher gearing but cooler
High kv = low gearing super hot

I don’t think new driveshafts are necessary. And neither are wheels. I’ve used the stock Big Rock tires with 4s and it’s fine. Same with the stock driveshafts. You can certainly upgrade them but those stock parts should be fine with 4s.

In addition to a new ESC and motor you’ll definitely want to get a spur/slipper assembly from one of the 4s vehicles. It’s a straight swap with the stock 3s part that you currently have.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...bly-diff-57t-ara102690?variant=20379160674358

So start with ESC, motor and spur/slipper. Try it out, see if anything breaks and go from there.

Check out my Big Rock build thread for upgrades I made on the way to 4s. Many of the changes weren’t absolutely necessary for 4s but did make the truck drive better overall.

Last edited:
I don’t think new driveshafts are necessary. And neither are wheels. I’ve used the stock Big Rock tires with 4s and it’s fine. Same with the stock driveshafts. You can certainly upgrade them but those stock parts should be fine with 4s.

In addition to a new ESC and motor you’ll definitely want to get a spur/slipper assembly from one of the 4s vehicles. It’s a straight swap with the stock 3s part that you currently have.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...bly-diff-57t-ara102690?variant=20379160674358

So start with ESC, motor and spur/slipper. Try it out, see if anything breaks and go from there.

Check out my Big Rock build thread for upgrades I made on the way to 4s. Many of the changes weren’t absolutely necessary for 4s but did make the truck drive better overall.
wow man thanks a lot this infomation is really helpful!

This is a very informative thread. Was thinking about The same. I’ve got a million projects I’m thinking about. Btw checkout the siren build threads, granite on typhon 6s frame.

This is a very informative thread. Was thinking about The same. I’ve got a million projects I’m thinking about. Btw checkout the siren build threads, granite on typhon 6s frame.
Thanks dude! I love your profile pic!

Everyone may have different experiences with upgrading and I've learnt that someone may say you need this or that while others have upgraded just the ESC with no problems, but just to let you know of my experience and what I went through I thought I'd mention what i did and what parts i had to upgrade.

I have a Typhon 3s running a 20T pinion with 30mm motor fan - the running gear is exactly the same as the Granite BLX 3s. I know as i have both and have swapped parts just to get my Typhon running after the below happened.

In the first instance i upgraded just the ESC to a 4s capable one. It was an RTR ESC from Hobbywing WP-8BL100A-RTR.

This ran on 4s with stock everything else (except 20T pinion) with no problems for several packs. However seeing as i used the stock motor with stock bearings the bearings blew which in turn grinded the spur gear.

To get it back up and running again i bought the following parts:
1. Plaig bearings for both top and bottom of BLX motor (different sizes)
- 5x16x5mm for the top
- 5x13x5mm for the bottom
2. Bought metal spur gear AR310945
3. Bought extra slipper pad as the metal spur will require 1 extra pad. Pack comes with 4 pads AR310908
4. Bought a new 20T pinion gear as the old 20T had a bit of wear due to the bearings failure
5. Bought longer velcro to accommodate 2x 2s batteries stacked on top of each other.
6. Bought EC5 connectors and replaced the Deans plug that the ESC came with. Made it so it has 2 plugs to run in a series - also made a loop one for when i run only 1 3s battery.

I put everything back in and off it goes, no more problems - I can't tell you how long this will last as I've only ran it twice so far and i bashed it with no problems both on dirt and on-road. Temperatures are still within touching range. I can leave my finger on it without burning. NOTE that it is winter here but still not too cold yet. During the day its about 21 degrees celsius.

Everyone may have different experiences with upgrading and I've learnt that someone may say you need this or that while others have upgraded just the ESC with no problems, but just to let you know of my experience and what I went through I thought I'd mention what i did and what parts i had to upgrade.

I have a Typhon 3s running a 20T pinion with 30mm motor fan - the running gear is exactly the same as the Granite BLX 3s. I know as i have both and have swapped parts just to get my Typhon running after the below happened.

In the first instance i upgraded just the ESC to a 4s capable one. It was an RTR ESC from Hobbywing WP-8BL100A-RTR.

This ran on 4s with stock everything else (except 20T pinion) with no problems for several packs. However seeing as i used the stock motor with stock bearings the bearings blew which in turn grinded the spur gear.

To get it back up and running again i bought the following parts:
1. Plaig bearings for both top and bottom of BLX motor (different sizes)
- 5x16x5mm for the top
- 5x13x5mm for the bottom
2. Bought metal spur gear AR310945
3. Bought extra slipper pad as the metal spur will require 1 extra pad. Pack comes with 4 pads AR310908
4. Bought a new 20T pinion gear as the old 20T had a bit of wear due to the bearings failure
5. Bought longer velcro to accommodate 2x 2s batteries stacked on top of each other.
6. Bought EC5 connectors and replaced the Deans plug that the ESC came with. Made it so it has 2 plugs to run in a series - also made a loop one for when i run only 1 3s battery.

I put everything back in and off it goes, no more problems - I can't tell you how long this will last as I've only ran it twice so far and i bashed it with no problems both on dirt and on-road. Temperatures are still within touching range. I can leave my finger on it without burning. NOTE that it is winter here but still not too cold yet. During the day its about 21 degrees celsius.
Thanks dude that is a lot of useful information! I’m enjoying 3s but one of my future goals is to upgrade!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back