Granite Granite V3 BLX vs. V3 Mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayor32

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am hoping someone can tell me how similar the chassis, transmission, tires, wheels, bearings, etc are on these version 3 models. For instance, if I purchased the Mega and then wanted to put in the brushless motor, esc, radio, etc, would the Mega be ready for that? I realize the gearing may need to change. As I recall, in the previous version, the chassis had some differences. Thanks if you can shed some light.

Hello,
I am hoping someone can tell me how similar the chassis, transmission, tires, wheels, bearings, etc are on these version 3 models. For instance, if I purchased the Mega and then wanted to put in the brushless motor, esc, radio, etc, would the Mega be ready for that? I realize the gearing may need to change. As I recall, in the previous version, the chassis had some differences. Thanks if you can shed some light.

I don't have one and I am not an expert, but in the interview the CEO on Driftomaniacs I remember her talked about the updated Granite being designed for 3S.

In my personal experience you will be better off going 3S from the start if you plan to go brushless. It will cost you more in the end to start with the Mega and move up. But, if you are new and learning or on a tight budget or have younger kids running the truck, the Mega is a great option that you can upgrade down the line. I have an ECX Amp 2WD that my son and I started with in May and I am just now going to upgrade it from dead stock with the exception of a 2S Lipo I have been running in it. Brushed truck with a Lipo and a cheap voltage alarm on the balance plug will be plenty starting out and tons of fun. The good news is the Arrma trucks are easily upgraded. I have a Redcat Volcano I put brushless on and it basically explodes every time I run it. I could have bought a Granite Big Rock for what I have put into that cruddy truck. You won't have that problem with the Granite - they have a clear upgrade path. Just be sure to get the updated version of it but I think that's what is available now. Can someone confirm?

If you can swing it, the Granite Big Rock Crew Cab with the new matte black body is a great truck. I have a Notorious and a new EXB but I am going to get that BRCC anyway because I want it. :D

I don't have one and I am not an expert, but in the interview the CEO on Driftomaniacs I remember her talked about the updated Granite being designed for 3S.

In my personal experience you will be better off going 3S from the start if you plan to go brushless. It will cost you more in the end to start with the Mega and move up. But, if you are new and learning or on a tight budget or have younger kids running the truck, the Mega is a great option that you can upgrade down the line. I have an ECX Amp 2WD that my son and I started with in May and I am just now going to upgrade it from dead stock with the exception of a 2S Lipo I have been running in it. Brushed truck with a Lipo and a cheap voltage alarm on the balance plug will be plenty starting out and tons of fun. The good news is the Arrma trucks are easily upgraded. I have a Redcat Volcano I put brushless on and it basically explodes every time I run it. I could have bought a Granite Big Rock for what I have put into that cruddy truck. You won't have that problem with the Granite - they have a clear upgrade path. Just be sure to get the updated version of it but I think that's what is available now. Can someone confirm?

If you can swing it, the Granite Big Rock Crew Cab with the new matte black body is a great truck. I have a Notorious and a new EXB but I am going to get that BRCC anyway because I want it. :D

Thanks for the info. The main reason I would get the Mega is that I have a Traxxas Bandit VXL now and wanted to let my son use that. Was hoping to swap the Velineon system from the Traxxas to the Mega and put the brushed 550 from the Mega in the Bandit.

the mega need's a 3660. the vxl will run hot in the granite ive been there. I run the the surpass hobby 3660 3300kv and 80 amp esc with 17/57 Gearing

Hello,
The differences are brushless motor and ESC, plus adjustable links on the 3S versions.

Buy the blx, and just run on 2s batteries. You can always throttle limit with trim/endpoint settings. If you plan is to upgrade to blx later.

I have a box, bought my daughter a mega because not sure if she'll stick with it. If upgrading was in my mind would have bought her a blx. The upgrade path is just too expensive, when you can throttle limit.

I only own 2s batteries since we both can run them. I don't need the extra speed.of 3s, the runtime would be nice. I have enough batteries it's null.amd.void.

The differences are brushless motor and ESC, plus adjustable links on the 3S versions.
^^. This. On the previous V2 there was a lot more different making brushless upgrading a pain (different gear pitches used, different motor mount, metal/plastic composite vs. plall plastic diff outputs). Now to switch to brushless you just need to swap electronics and adjustable links (if you want, don't have to) and you're done.

Yep, I can confirm what a pain it was to upgrade the V2 Mega to Brushless. I just finished mine. Diffs, spur, motor mount, adjustable steering links(I added Typhon 3s arms). I can't recall how much I've spent on it but it's probably close to $150-$175. I bought a Surpass motor and esc.

PXL_20201007_193944553.jpg

PXL_20201007_193952815.jpg

PXL_20201007_194026236.jpg

The Granite Mega is not a good idea. The tires are too big for the 550 brushed motor and you will burn motors every few packs (on 2S at least). After 4 motors in 4 months on my son's Mega, I've had enough and I waited a couple of months for the 3S V3 to come out and I bought one.

The Typhon and Senton Mega may be more reliable, but I'd for sure stay away from the Granite Mega.

The Granite Mega is not a good idea. The tires are too big for the 550 brushed motor and you will burn motors every few packs. After 4 motors in 4 months on my son's Mega, I've had enough and I waited a couple of months for the 3S V3 to come out and I bought one.

The Typhon and Senton Mega may be more reliable, but I'd for sure stay away from the Granite Mega.
I'd stay away from ALL of them.

The Granite Mega is not a good idea. The tires are too big for the 550 brushed motor and you will burn motors every few packs (on 2S at least). After 4 motors in 4 months on my son's Mega, I've had enough and I waited a couple of months for the 3S V3 to come out and I bought one.

The V3 at least has all the proper parts to be able to just drop in a brushless combo. But yeah, it is too much truck for a brushed motor, even the relatively powerful 12t 550 can...

I'd stay away from ALL of them.
The only thing good about the Mega is that blue body. I might bash it one of these days . . . or better yet, buy a clear body to run on top of it :LOL:

We originally bought the Mega for my FIL and the included battery and charger were awful.

It literally took 14 hours to charge the battery for the first time.

We returned it to the hobby store without even running the and exchanged it for the BLX and went with a 3S battery and charger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back