Granite Granite Voltage - Smoke from Speed Control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
Hey guys.

New to the forums, and R/C in general, so be gentle :)

Picked up a Granite Voltage for my son, and he is really enjoying it. Have used it only 4 or 5 times in the backyard, and with it in "rookie mode". Has decent run time on 4 of the Li-Ion batteries, and was happy until today.

We were using it today in the backyard, and all of a sudden smoke started to pour out from under the body shell, and it just kept trying to drive, even with no signal from the remote. I managed to catch it and pull the shell off. It wouldn't switch off, so I pulled the T-plug. The wires were melted off from the controller, and things look pretty gnarly in there.

Any ideas on how this happened? We didn't drive it through any water or anything (and isn't it supposed to be waterproof according to the box?), and now its not usable until I can see if Arrma will send me some new bits. I emailed their warranty department, but not sure how they usually handle this sorta thing. Are they any good to deal with?

Appreciate any advice/input in advance!

Hey guys.

New to the forums, and R/C in general, so be gentle :)

Picked up a Granite Voltage for my son, and he is really enjoying it. Have used it only 4 or 5 times in the backyard, and with it in "rookie mode". Has decent run time on 4 of the Li-Ion batteries, and was happy until today.

We were using it today in the backyard, and all of a sudden smoke started to pour out from under the body shell, and it just kept trying to drive, even with no signal from the remote. I managed to catch it and pull the shell off. It wouldn't switch off, so I pulled the T-plug. The wires were melted off from the controller, and things look pretty gnarly in there.

Any ideas on how this happened? We didn't drive it through any water or anything (and isn't it supposed to be waterproof according to the box?), and now its not usable until I can see if Arrma will send me some new bits. I emailed their warranty department, but not sure how they usually handle this sorta thing. Are they any good to deal with?

Appreciate any advice/input in advance!
Horizon is very good to deal with if you have the sales receipt. My son's ECX Amp had the ESC go out last week and I should have a new one in the mail real soon. A couple of years a go I had a plane fly away due to a faulty GPS unit, they replaced the plane for free...even though I recovered the plane and just wanted a new GPS unit.

Welcome to the forum and sorry your truck went *poof. Having worked in retail/repair electronics (mostly in warranty work) for years, it's just the nature of the beast. Sometimes you just "get a bad one" no matter what it is or who it's from. Horizon is pretty good about warranty stuff.

Thanks for the quick response guys. I figured it was just a fluke, or at least I hope so. My son is pretty bummed, but sometimes thats just how it goes. Glad to know that Horizon is decent in the warranty department.

Is there any easy way to make sure the other components are Ok before I just send one thing back?

Do they have a phone number for service? I only saw e-mails on their website.

Do they have a phone number for service? I only saw e-mails on their website.

Capture.JPG

Just a quick update....

So the seller is going to fully refund the truck, and Im just going to purchase another new setup. I don't know if its acceptable to name drop here, so Ill just say they are based out of Illinios for now. Horizon also reached out to me to send a new part, so Im very happy with the customer service on all ends.

Im sure that we will have more questions as we continue to play, so Ill lurk around and post here when they come up. Thanks again!

I have a number to a direct sales rep as well if customer service gives you any problems.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back