Granite Granite Voltage upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoldos

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
I thought about replacing the stock motor with an official Arrma "Mega" 550 brushed version. It doesn't appear to come with this. Would it make a difference? And it is easy to install? What pinion should I use? Thanks!

All you can do is try one and go from their and 540 to 550 is a larger can size so you will have more torque with the 550

I'm pretty sure it's a 540 "Mega". I was told tho that anything bigger would fit, but might overheat the ESC...

Hi zoldos! Not sure if you are still around, but the 550 mega should be okay with your stock srs. You should be able to get away with a 19t pinion (I have the titan 550 myself.. so maybe slight performance difference from the mega) The 550 will fit no problem. I recommend soldering direct to your new motor to reduce heat and resistance from your bullet connectors but it's not necessary. If you are using li-ion cells.. use all 6 with this motor. You will be disappointed in runtime and performance with just the 2. The voltage will dip too fast for good performance and runtime. This goes with any li-ion setup and modification that causes more amp drain - run 6 cells or use a lipo 2s pack.

Oh sorry, I missed the question about if it's easy to install. The answer is yes! It's very simple, and the gap can't be messed up the holes are labeled for the 16 and 19t pinions. If you get a new pinion, check the pitch.. I believe 48 pitch is what you need. There is some threadlocker compound on the screws.. If you don't replace it, pull the gear cover off to check the screws now and then, they tend to get loose after awhile.

@icebearace Cool, thanks! I ended up getting a 15T brushed 540 Mega and a 25T/48 pinion. Will this pinion work? A friend said he used it on his Voltage....

I believe there is a mounting place for a 25t pinion... I have not tried such a steep gear setup yet. I have the 15t mega 540 as well, I ran it with the stock 16t pinion. Honestly if it were mine, I would not run the 25t unless I was trying for top speed on a flat, no resistance (no grass, no gravel) surface. Check your temp often, even if your motor does not smoke it can melt into the mounting surface. The mega 15t 540 got plenty warm with the 16t pinion in my truck. (stock tires) I have an arrma 12t 550 coming (by the way, it's really no harder on the electronics than the 15t 540.. research windings versus can size (540/550) to find out why! :) I'm going to compare it to the traxxas titan I have now. I have a thread of all my experimenting so far with this truck you can check out if you want to get bored :p I highly recommend running no less than 4 lithium-ion cells (recommend 6) when you are running this higher amperage motor. (or nimh/lipo) My best advice.. start with your stock pinion.. just swap it over and run it for a bit and monitor the temps. You can try the 25 for kicks if you want, but don't be surprised if it gets way too hot, way too quick. Happy running!

-bear

Okay thanks! Will there be any difference with the 15T Mega and stock pinion over the 20T motor?

Yes there will be :) I actually have a 25t pinion coming just for experimenting... I probably won't get to it until this weekend. I have a redcat 16t 550 I'm thinking about trying it with (about equal to a 20t, 540.. like the stock motor but more torque) Experimenting with different combo's is part of the fun I think. Let me know how yours runs! :)

I thought about trying a 19T pinion. Everyone says the 25T will overheat my motor. lol

If you just want to strap your phone to it on the road and go for a top speed or something why not? :) Just keep checking the temps.. run 20 seconds.. check, etc. I think you will find it gets hot quickly.. I would imagine in grass it would be not so great.. even the 19t pinion bogs the motor down some in grass (see my top speed reports for the differences between road and grass) I got the 25t pinion today, I got some lipos, a charger that was more expensive then my truck.. and another truck (not an armma, but it's what I wanted for building battery packs for and amperage rates etc) I'll try one of the 2s lipos in the voltage for kicks of course. I have too many li-ion batteries to give up working with them, so I have some holders coming to run in the 1/8th scale for even more experimenting.

I have my new lipos! I've only run them in the terremoto 1/8th scale so far, but they are all 2s so I can run them in my voltage for kicks too. My li-ion holders should be here in about a month (china shipping uff) and I will assemble some packs that in theory should run the terremoto okay or as a lower end lipo. I'm new to the 1/8th scale (at least fast 1/8th scale.. my last one was nitro and a dog) and was surprised that my first run out without any adjustments... my slightly modded voltage would eat the new terremoto in the heavy gravel driveway. The voltage also does nice drifts and the brushed setup is nice for smooth low end control. I have lots of tuning to do.. I got the moto going a good clip safer now (still a bit hairy to drive.. the voltage is a piece of cake :) ) I'm using a new hobbymate d6 dual pro charger.. which with no manual and no connectors other than ac cord was annoying. After downloading the manual and adapting those 4mm banana connectors to deans/t-plug and deans to whatever the charger uses.. it's working awesome. I'm not in this for the longetivity of my battery packs.. so I charge at high rates if the manufacturer states I can.. li-ions usually 3 amps a cell (different charger) and li-po.. well on ac I can only charge around 2c for 2packs (venom 5000 ) about 11 to 12 amps until one gets full then 15 amps when load comes down on one pack (if the other pack can still fast charge) The dc rating is over 3x faster (I believe the latest firmware lets it go even higher then the listing said) I will try charging a single pack for kicks at the manufacturer max of 5c. I do have my safety bag... I'm a bit paranoid of these.. the imr and inr li-ions are much safer, but I think these are safe enough if you treat them with care :) Zoldos, did you run your new motor yet? How about that pinion? :)

I'm selling my Voltage. Couldn't even get the motor installed. Plus, I can't really afford the habit, esp. with rent being what it is now. I'm selling everything on eBay. lol

I'm selling my Voltage. Couldn't even get the motor installed. Plus, I can't really afford the habit, esp. with rent being what it is now. I'm selling everything on eBay. lol

Sorry to hear that.. but I completely understand, I had to sell all my rc trucks many years ago when I got a house. It's never the end, you can always get something again (and usually when you do.. things have advanced and they are even better or more affordable) :) Good luck!

Sorry to hear that.. but I completely understand, I had to sell all my rc trucks many years ago when I got a house. It's never the end, you can always get something again (and usually when you do.. things have advanced and they are even better or more affordable) :) Good luck!
Yes agreed! Once we get some of our on-going monthly expenses worked out, I'll see. But this will be several years. :D

Thanks!!

Final pics:

DSC00286.JPG
DSC00287.JPG
DSC00288.JPG
DSC00289.JPG
DSC00285.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back