Granite Granteks? Granite BLX3S build/break/fix/upgrade saga

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camtrailsnc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
IMG_0889.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg

Original Vehicle: Granite BLX 3S V3

Upgrades/Updates:

vorteks body
vorteks bumpers

pro-line body mounts
modified original body posts

IMG_0890.jpeg

ebay Big Bore shocks
50wt shock oil
Typhon 3s arms
Typhon 3s turnbuckles
Hot Racing aluminum pivot balls
30k CST front/15k rear diff oil

IMG_0893.jpeg

Duratrax stadium truck wheels/ tires and Speedtreads Vulture Stadium Truck tires

RC7FG receiver w/gyro

Radiolink RC6GSv2 transmitter

3D printed parts:
battery tray
steering
covers
chassis plugs

IMG_0894.jpeg

power:
Standard 3S system
18t pinion gear
3s/6000mah/80C

Basically it's a chimera of the Granite, Typhon, and Vorteks 3S models: a widened Vorteks with longer travel suspension.

IMG_0899.jpeg

IMG_0896.jpeg

Last edited:
Short thoughts on the RC6GSv2 radio, with RC7FG receiver freshly installed. First I would definitely download the PDF instructions but the ones in the box aren’t terrible. Second it surprised me how far I had to dial back the steering endpoints, 60%.
The receiver was easy to install and configure, and the gyro setup was straightforward. ESC calibration was quick.

Maybe it’s placebo effect but the input “lag” in the throttle in particular is noticeably quicker than the factor radio. My steering input had to be reversed and this was easily accomplished through the menus. This radio has more features than I’ll ever use so let’s move on to my primary motivation for upgrading: the gyro stabilization.

The Granite, in stock form, is very roll happy. Its high CG coupled with wide, tall tires and a relatively aggressive steering rate means turning at speed is a gamble. Also, I suck at driving.

I’m not into hard core bashing... I love some jumps but I’m trying to stop breaking things so much. I have a buddy with a track in his backyard - dusty red clay, couple of relatively large jumps, an underpass, and some tight turns. So my goal was to build something that will go where I point it and have enough suspension to soak up a pretty big landing. Adding stiffer fluid to the front diff helped, but that doesn’t do much for the top-heaviness. I needed more control. Enter the gyro.

By default the variable rate knob on the transmitter controls the gyro rate, which I found had to be turned down considerably in order for the truck to even steer at full lock. With that set, I went on a few runs up and down the street and did NOT go easy on the throttle, brake, or steering wheel. This thing was almost supernaturally glued to the road. High speed turning totally possible. Drifting on pavement on stadium struck tires? Yes.

At some point I’ll do a longer evaluation but for now it was an amazing investment. I’m going to put the same receiver in my 3S Typhon when I rebuild it.

Another note: installed a new servo to go along with this. Separate story I will share soon.

Another thing: everything I’ve read says you want a digital servo with gyro. So off I went to eBay to get a 35kg digital waterproof servo for like, a lot less than the spektrum one. Only one problem - Arrma uses 23t servo splines and like everyone else in the world uses 25t.
So the factory servo saver doesn’t work. I currently have it set up using the metal arm which came with the servo attached directly to the linkage, but I had to pretty aggressively clearance the servo mount/radio housing to make room. This is obviously not ideal since I don’t want to kill my servo. I have a Kimbrough 25t servo saver on the way and will report back soon!

Finally ended up buying the Hot Racing servo saver with fixed link. Super easy install and it's nice and stiff.

The factory shocks on these things are just super flimsy. Grabbed some Big Bore shocks from Ebay and threw them on. No idea how they'll perform over time but I'll report back. Springs are a little soft, I think.

Converted the body to a Vorteks, butchered the stock Granite body mounts to fit. I used a heat gun to bend the rear mount forward, and then cut both down so they're close to even with the shock towers.

Could have grabbed the Vorteks bulkheads and shocks, but I drive offroad more than on-road so I kept the longer travel.

3d printed steering cover keeps rocks out of the servo

IMG_0894.jpeg

Another thing: everything I’ve read says you want a digital servo with gyro. So off I went to eBay to get a 35kg digital waterproof servo for like, a lot less than the spektrum one. Only one problem - Arrma uses 23t servo splines and like everyone else in the world uses 25t.
So the factory servo saver doesn’t work. I currently have it set up using the metal arm which came with the servo attached directly to the linkage, but I had to pretty aggressively clearance the servo mount/radio housing to make room. This is obviously not ideal since I don’t want to kill my servo. I have a Kimbrough 25t servo saver on the way and will report back soon!
That's what I run and love it. And no more servo changing

That's what I run and love it. And no more servo changing
I ended up getting the wrong size Kimbrough and having issues with its strength. Switched to the Hot Racing servo saver with fixed link and it is fantastic so far.

The DS Servo 35kg from Amazon/Ebay seems to be really well made, and it's fast and strong. Big fan.

Someone mentioned the HR servo saver has a plastic insert and if you don't align it right it'll strip? You didn't have any issues right?

The HR servo saver has plastic inserts as well to fit 23/24/25t servos.
How's the HR SS holding up? Thinking about grabbing one.

Also, if I want to convert my Vorteks into a Granteks do I just need a front upper gearbox box cover, shocks, and body mount?

Thanks

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back