Grease for perfect diff rebuild?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0stB1t

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
When rebuilding a diff, what grease, if any, do you put on the outdrive shafts before inserting them into the diff? I've seen videos with people not putting any grease at all (example), some put silicone diff fluid (example) and others put black grease / lithium grease (example). Since it's a little exposed to dirt, would it make more sense to use dry (teflon) lube, candle wax or graphite?...

For the o-ring, it seems green slime is the best choice, but I've seen people put silicone grease and black grease as well. Won't that cause problems?

Is it a good idea to put a drop of silicone oil under and on top of the shims before putting the gears in? I don't see anyone doing this but I doubt heavy silicone oil would get to those places all by itself.

Finally, I think it's important to fully fill the diff with silicone oil, because mixing it with air would create a much lighter emulsion, right? Do you guys overfill it slightly and let the oil bleed out via the grub screw in the diff cup? Or is there a better method?

Maybe I'm overthinking it too much, but since it's quite a bit of work I prefer to get it right from the start :geek:

I try to fill it to the top, then bleed through the grub screw. Too much fluid would negate the effect of the difs, especially with the heavier weight options. Getting those shafts in through the o rings, I use a tiny bit of dif fluid, and use dental tweezers to hold down the ring while installing the outdrives. I place my larger planetary shim on, add some fluid, wait, then install the rest of the satellite gears and shims. Top it up, wait 24 hours, top it up again, then close it up. The fluid that comes out of the grub hole is not very much, but relieves any excess pressure. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information! So you only use silicone diff oil, nothing else for the outdrive shaft or o-rings, right?

I'm really surprised you wait 24 hours for the diff fluid to settle, that's a lot of patience! I'd think half an hour would be plenty.

Thank you for the information! So you only use silicone diff oil, nothing else for the outdrive shaft or o-rings, right?

I'm really surprised you wait 24 hours for the diff fluid to settle, that's a lot of patience! I'd think half an hour would be plenty.
When using 200k weight or higher, it takes a lot of time to fully settle. The reason I have the luxury of waiting, is because I purchased a complete set of new difs, from the kit breaker https://jennysrc.com/. When it's time to service, pop the old ones out, put the new ones in, and your off and running. So easy to replace the difs in these vehicles, that it's worth having a second set on hand.

That does sound like a nice luxury to have complete spares :)

I only recently got my Kraton (https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/second-hand-but-nearly-new-v2-kraton-price.10365/) and extra diffs won't be on my shopping list soon I'm afraid, that's why I wanted to rebuild my diffs as good as possible.

Do the diff insides require a lot of servicing? If it's built and shimmed correctly I imagine you only need to replace the silicone oil after every 20 runs, like it says in the manual?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back