Granite Grease on the main diff gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JShipman5

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I am cleaning up my granite 4x4 and was wandering what is the best grease to use on the main diff gear and input gear? Is white lithium grease a good option? Also does anyone have any suggestions for a good degreaser to clean off gears with?

I use denatured alcohol, or if I'm totally rebuilding a diff, I tear it completely down, remove the bearings and wash with dawn dishsoap and water using an old tooth brush soaked in dawn, then rinse in water and dry it all really well.

On the ring/pinion, I just use typical axle grease, with diff oil inside for the spider gears.

On spurs/cb's, I use wax bicycle chain lube as it doesn't attract dirt, but leaves a light film of wax on the gears to help with wear. I use the same stuff on my axle cups, cvd joints and axle sliders. You can usually find it at a bicycle shop. You usually have to shake the bottle, then carefully drip it on whatever as it comes out like water. When the liquid evaporates, it leaves the film of wax.

This is the stuff I've been using for a couple decades:
https://www.amazon.com/White-Lightning-Original-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B000C14HL0

Just have to make sure to shake the bottle as all the wax particles settles at the bottom.

I use denatured alcohol, or if I'm totally rebuilding a diff, I tear it completely down, remove the bearings and wash with dawn dishsoap and water using an old tooth brush soaked in dawn, then rinse in water and dry it all really well.

On the ring/pinion, I just use typical axle grease, with diff oil inside for the spider gears.

On spurs/cb's, I use wax bicycle chain lube as it doesn't attract dirt, but leaves a light film of wax on the gears to help with wear. I use the same stuff on my axle cups, cvd joints and axle sliders. You can usually find it at a bicycle shop. You usually have to shake the bottle, then carefully drip it on whatever as it comes out like water. When the liquid evaporates, it leaves the film of wax.

This is the stuff I've been using for a couple decades:
https://www.amazon.com/White-Lightning-Original-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B000C14HL0

Just have to make sure to shake the bottle as all the wax particles settles at the bottom.

Thanks! Sounds like great info and I will give that chain lube you recommended a try. Will it help protect against rust and corrosion....and if so will it be ok to put a little on the outside of bearings to keep them them from rusting? I use a light weight model train oil to lube the bearings but was just wander if it would be good to put something on the outside of them to protect against corrosion.

I don't put it on bearings. Use a proper bearing oil for that. I never noticed if it prevents rust... my rigs don't stay wet too long. When I finish bashing in snow/mud, I hit them with a hose to wash off the gunk/ice/snow, shake them really good to get off as much water as I can, then put them in front of a fan until dry. Then I go back and relube all the joints/cvd's with the wax lube and put a drop of oil in all the bearings I can reach.

I am cleaning up my granite 4x4 and was wandering what is the best grease to use on the main diff gear and input gear? Is white lithium grease a good option? Also does anyone have any suggestions for a good degreaser to clean off gears with?

I use quicksilver extreme marine grease in all my trucks. For ever. Great stuff,,when I change diffs,,,this grease stays the same every change. Holds up well....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back