Grease or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinP

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi there,

So I've had the V1 kraton for nearly 2 years now and it's been going great, bought it brand new. Stripped the rear main input gear twice now as I can't seem to find these shim rings to make them bulletproof. So if anyone has an idea where and how to get them I'll be glad to know. I'm located in the Netherlands.

Anyway, last week I got my hands on a second hand Typhon which seems to be a V1 but has a BLX185 esc. I went ahead to check and refill the diffs. Once I opened the outer diff casing on the front and rear I noticed grease around the differential (mainly around the gears ofcourse). I was happy to see it but immediatelly questioned myself; "Is this stock, should my Kraton have grease on it or should I put some aswell?"

So yeah, should I put grease or not? I know it won't harm anything to do so, but is it necessary?

Hi there,

So I've had the V1 kraton for nearly 2 years now and it's been going great, bought it brand new. Stripped the rear main input gear twice now as I can't seem to find these shim rings to make them bulletproof. So if anyone has an idea where and how to get them I'll be glad to know. I'm located in the Netherlands.

Anyway, last week I got my hands on a second hand Typhon which seems to be a V1 but has a BLX185 esc. I went ahead to check and refill the diffs. Once I opened the outer diff casing on the front and rear I noticed grease around the differential (mainly around the gears ofcourse). I was happy to see it but immediatelly questioned myself; "Is this stock, should my Kraton have grease on it or should I put some aswell?"

So yeah, should I put grease or not? I know it won't harm anything to do so, but is it necessary?

I recommend putting some grease in there. I always do. Marine grease works great cause it's meant to be in water. Not sure if it's a must, but it will help the gears last longer and help keep diff temps down.

I have always used Walmart super tech general purpose lithium grease for surface vehicles and marine for my boats

95ec8092bfb84ad76ee1c1ec7490e844--walmart.jpg

I use grease on the ring/pinion and silicone oil inside for the spider/sun gears. For the spur/pinion and dogbone/cvd joints, I use bicycle chain wax lube as it doesn't attract dirt like oil/grease does. I just make sure to put a drop on all the moving parts after each bash so the liquid can evaporate and it leaves a coating of wax for next time.

This seems expensive, but it lasted me 3-4 years:
https://www.amazon.com/White-Lightning-Chain-Lubricant-Squeeze/dp/B00B70ADXQ

Just make sure to shake it really well before applying so the wax particles mix up in the liquid evenly. Also make sure to not loose the cap. I did on my first bottle and after a few months, all the liquid evaporated.

I use grease on the ring/pinion and silicone oil inside for the spider/sun gears. For the spur/pinion and dogbone/cvd joints, I use bicycle chain wax lube as it doesn't attract dirt like oil/grease does. I just make sure to put a drop on all the moving parts after each bash so the liquid can evaporate and it leaves a coating of wax for next time.

This seems expensive, but it lasted me 3-4 years:
https://www.amazon.com/White-Lightning-Chain-Lubricant-Squeeze/dp/B00B70ADXQ

Just make sure to shake it really well before applying so the wax particles mix up in the liquid evenly. Also make sure to not loose the cap. I did on my first bottle and after a few months, all the liquid evaporated.

30 years and I have never put any type of lubricant on pinion/spur. I have never thought about the bicycle chain wax ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back