Kraton Greased pinion!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerljj1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So per my other post, decided to grease spur gear only (not pinion). Used coffee wooden stick (worked perfect), Q-tip, and Phil Wood waterproof grease.

Cracked stick in half and left me with sharp edge to easily get in between teeth. Applied very carefully not to glob it in. After entire spur was grease, I rotated pionion-spur to get as much on pinion. I then wiped excess from spur with Q-tip which was very little. Man what a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_7429.JPG
    IMG_7429.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_7432.JPG
    IMG_7432.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7434.JPG
    IMG_7434.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7439.JPG
    IMG_7439.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7437.JPG
    IMG_7437.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 123
Have fun cleaning that after your first run. Getting rocks and sand stuck in the teeth is gonna be a pain in the butt. Yeah it's quieter now, but just wait.

I agree. But running it at a flat parking lot track for a day. Gonna start easy, give it another cleaning, and then open her up.

Hey.... that's mountain bike grease ! Keep that on the mountain bikes. Lol. It will probably be fine but I rather not have sand sticking to the gears. It's going to get crushed between the teeth. It's supposed to be loud. You should hear my 8S RC gears. Wow !!! They never wear out and are run dry.

Ok. Good to know. Researched and several stated they been using Phil's for years.

Will do.

Don't confuse people greasing ring and pinions with spur and motor pinions. Lots of people grease the internal diffs ring and pinions but not motor pinion and spur.

Watch out for oil on the grub screw of a motor pinion... I've had it make my loctite inactive. Most of my pinions are on with a drop of red on the motor shaft and a drop of blue on the grub screw. Any oil will usually screw with the loctite. I will store my pinions in a bag with oil but I clean them with acidtone before they get fresh loctite. Then.... I never use anything on them for lube. Even dry lube screws with my loctite. It just depends on what you like to do. There is no wrong way.... it's just all shared experience. That's the nice thing about plastic spur gears.... pretty quiet. However..... steel as proven better in rigs like the Kraton and Outcast. Bashers of any sort. And I will have to say.... majority do not grease a motor pinion and spur. Internal ring and pinion.... yes.

Last edited:
Consensus is no then. Will clean it tonite.

Thank you all for your guidance. Thx Vanning!

I have been racing for years and never seen anyone greese a spur and pinion, never, noob or pro, but of you want?

I have been racing for years and never seen anyone greese a spur and pinion, never, noob or pro, but of you want?
I meant if you want, lol. It will probaly last seconds before it is flung all over the inside of the body, like a rabid ape flinging its p**

I meant if you want, lol. It will probaly last seconds before it is flung all over the inside of the body, like a rabid ape flinging its p**
Lmao. That ruined me.

This made me think... What about maybe a coat of wax, like a clear wax crayon or candle type wax?

Totally not needed.... however, wax is one of the best lubes ever. In this application, it will be slung all over the place. Nobody lubes these gears. Maintaining the proper mesh is all you do. Also.... Robinson Racing pinions are sweet. Much better than the stock ones.

I'll 2nd the Robinson Racing MOD 1Pinions. Being new, back into RC, the Kraton was as Beefy as I had ever seen. I mean every part is just beastly. Then I got a Robinson Racng Pinion and realized why so many people trash the stock pinions. They are not so beefy. The Robinson pinion is a good 30% wider, and is clearly manufactured and machined to higher standards. And that's how we get a RTR 1/8 basher for only $500. Slightly cheaper parts, on a great platform.

The sound of the Kraton had me thinking there was a gearing or lube issue at first, too. It's just a loud car. Plenty of people have asked me if it is a gas or Nitro car. Take note of that sound now. It's a good bench mark for when something does go wrong. You will hear the difference in the sound before you notice a difference in the car.

I'll 2nd the Robinson Racing MOD 1Pinions. Being new, back into RC, the Kraton was as Beefy as I had ever seen. I mean every part is just beastly. Then I got a Robinson Racng Pinion and realized why so many people trash the stock pinions. They are not so beefy. The Robinson pinion is a good 30% wider, and is clearly manufactured and machined to higher standards. And that's how we get a RTR 1/8 basher for only $500. Slightly cheaper parts, on a great platform.

The sound of the Kraton had me thinking there was a gearing or lube issue at first, too. It's just a loud car. Plenty of people have asked me if it is a gas or Nitro car. Take note of that sound now. It's a good bench mark for when something does go wrong. You will hear the difference in the sound before you notice a difference in the car.

I agree, have noticed a change in the sound once, and found the gear mesh was too loose. Hearing the difference saved the pinion's life, lol.
Good point dpricenator. :cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back