Mojave Grimbles' Mojave EXB Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update, no pics for now:

1) upped pinion to 22t as wasn't even close to challenging the tp unit;
2) increased shock oil weight from stock 550 to 800 as my weighty unit bottoms out too easily;
3) added some scorched parts axle protectors too; and
4) finally cut some modelling balloons to make muck protectors for the shocks. Criminal it didn't ship with them imo!

4) finally cut some modelling balloons to make muck protectors for the shocks. Criminal it didn't ship with them imo!

That's genius Grimbles! So you just fold the rubber around the inside of the springs on both ends as usual and good to go? Doesn't wear on the ends at all?

Went looking for covers a while ago and nobody makes anything that would fit the rears. Thanks very much for your idea!

That's genius Grimbles! So you just fold the rubber around the inside of the springs on both ends as usual and good to go? Doesn't wear on the ends at all?

Went looking for covers a while ago and nobody makes anything that would fit the rears. Thanks very much for your idea!
Love to claim this as my own but I saw someone on YouTube doing it. Can't remember who to give them the credit. If you use these balloons then the rubber aligns perfectly over the bottom of the cylinder and I just snipped a bit longer than the suspension arm at full extension.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006S6SAB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_QTEeGb8P81MN9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

20210127_223924.jpg

Oh, you cover the shafts, even better. I have some Arrma rubbers but like this idea a lot more. Thanks again, you're an artist with these things.

Oh, you cover the shafts, even better. I have some Arrma rubbers but like this idea a lot more. Thanks again, you're an artist with these things.
Lol thanks man but I'm just implementing someone else's genius plan. That brand of balloons in that size is the perfect fit! Qualtex 350q!

Not just talking about the balloons, you know what you're doing with these cars and sharing this stuff for unimaginative blunt instruments like me is appreciated. Cheers

Have a lifetime of 350q on the way, only place one can get them on eBay is the UK/Europe, funny but cheap like Borscht.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That link you posted, it's only for 15 balloons did you get a different batch of 50 for less than a fiver ??

There's also this listing on eBay (among others in the UK/Europe) if that's an option for you. The 350q say it's 3" in diameter when inflated in the ad I bought from so hoping that's consistent with what Grimbles uses.

Last edited:
I got these things on eBay. My girlfriend was going to make me some, but with COVID lockdown here she can’t get to the fabric store to find the right fabric. These guys print some cool designs. Not the same as the balloons, but great for keeping the shock bodies from getting marked up.

Those mud guards I made out of thin black plastic cutting boards from Amazon. They are cheap, flexible, and you can cut them easily with tin snips or good scissors.

28BE5154-5FF0-4FF2-B069-A4EDC669ECAE.jpeg

@BashingBrian @IrieWheeler I need to do the front shocks tonight so will post some pics later. Re/price fair spot. I just quickly googled and found that link! I found 50 for 4.69 on ebay before Xmas. I know 31p isn't "ample" change :p

Not the same as the balloons, but great for keeping the shock bodies from getting marked up.
I really like these, but didn't get on with them. I found they kept getting into the spring and gumming the shock up. I thing I got mine from badtouch.

The ones I have are quite thick and I haven’t had any binding issues.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/153978127167

Nobody makes the things long enough for Mojave rear shocks unfortunately and wasn't given the idea that it's something they are going to make when I contacted them?

Thanks for that East Tactics video,he does a lot of great content. That lad needs some shock pliers!

I found these folks who will do custom sizes if desired too.

Well I'll be...

Last edited:
Nobody makes the things long enough for Mojave rear shocks unfortunately and wasn't given the idea that it's something they are going to make when I contacted them?

Thanks for that East Tactics video,he does a lot of great content. That lad needs some shock pliers!

I found these folks who will do custom sizes if desired too.

Well I'll be...

The ones I have are plenty long. It's snow and slush here, so I have them covering from the shock standoff all the way under the cup on the bottom. They are stretchy, so they can fit a range of sizes. It's better to have them more stretched over the coals so they don't end up bunching up and binding the coils. I was planning to use little zip ties to hold them up above the shock cap and beneath the cup on the bottom, but they stay put and there is no need to do it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back