Kraton Grinding noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeddyZ

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I was jumping my 6s off a tarp covered wood chip pile about half throttle and got caught on the tarp going up it. Now when I give it a lot of throttle it makes a clicking noise also while slowing down from going fast. I think all four wheels still have power from what I've tested but don't see anything wrong. Any ideas?

Probably snapped a few teeth off the ring gear of either the front or rear diff.
You also could have broken the outdrive pin behind one of the sun gears in the diffs, or the sun gear itself. You’ll have to open the diffs up and inspect. Usually I can hear/feel which one is the culprit.

Check your axle drive shafts. It is possible you bent one of them. Put it on a bench with the wheels off the ground and run it slowly to see if you can narrow down the noise.

Check your axle drive shafts. It is possible you bent one of them. Put it on a bench with the wheels off the ground and run it slowly to see if you can narrow down the noise.
I'll check that out, this is the only thing I could find in the front diff, not sure if this alone would cause the noise?

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_091752.jpg
    IMG_20200712_091752.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 135
I'll check that out, this is the only thing I could find in the front diff, not sure if this alone would cause the noise?

Yep that will cause the grinding noise. Looks like you need a new gear. Check the pinion as well . Chances are it should be replace also.

Pinion from what I can see one tooth might be worn a very tiny bit, should that still be replaced?

Pinion from what I can see one tooth might be worn a very tiny bit, should that still be replaced?
yes it should be it will just damage the new ring gear. Usually the rule of thumb is that if you damage one gear and replace it you should replace the gear it mesh's into.

Although the gears are sold separately , they should be replaced as a set. If there is any visible damage to the gears, they should be replaced.

Okay thanks all, the input great might give me a headache since I've never done it before lol

The input gear cup is put on with thread locker. You have to heat it up to remove the set screw and then tap the center of the shaft out while its still hot. Actually very easy to do. A small torch works great.
Now would be a good time to replace the bearings with some good rubber sealed ones from a supplier like from Avid or Jim's .

The input gear cup is put on with thread locker. You have to heat it up to remove the set screw and then tap the center of the shaft out while its still hot. Actually very easy to do. A small torch works great.
Now would be a good time to replace the bearings with some good rubber sealed ones from a supplier like from Avid or Jim's .
Hey wait! you are in T bay????? No Way! Where do you go to bash in town?
never thought in a million years that someone else from T Bay would be on this forum, I'm in Vicky Ville area unfortunatly. Have you been to the track on cumberland yet?

Last edited:
Hey wait! you are in T bay????? No Way! Where do you go to bash in town?

never thought in a million years that someone else from T Bay would be on this forum, I'm in Vicky Ville area unfortunatly. Have you been to the track on cumberland yet?
Ya I'm actually in Neebing by west oliver lake rd. I just bash around in my yard . I did stop by the track on cumberland to take a look at it.

For me it was the front diff ring gear, stopped making the noise however, unless it's just me? It seems like when it's wheeling the back wheels don't go as fast as they use to?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back