Outcast Ground up Outcast 4S build. Literally!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWSRC

Cake Boss RC pit crew!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Nero
  5. Outcast 6s
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Typhon 3s
After building my adult son a Granite 3S mega for Christmas I got the itch for a "1/10th" stunt truck. Although I'm still waiting on the 21kg Servo, HR servo saver, and some HR pillow balls I ordered online, the rest is here. I also have a CRCU chassis brace with Ti skids, and an fresh Arrmaskinz on the way to give a little extra flash💥.
My wife bought me a lot of RC gear and tools from a from a recent widow we knew whose husband had left her with a bunch of RC gear. All the fasteners I'll need for this build are neatly organized into bins. I'll end up lightly deconstructing one of my 1/10th Arrmas to get bolt lengths to spec and use spec. diagrams for anything I may not be able to compare to. I scored the 4s electronics in a package deal for a lightly used 3S Typhon that the previous owner was trying to make into a 4s speed basher. Luckily he gave up, on it and left me with a nice condition complete car and new 4s electronics and a 4s slipper clutch assembly for $277. I'm probably into this whole deal for more than a new one would cost but it'll have a few upgrades and will be satisfying to build. I'll be learning some things along the way as well, tackling things from differential shimming to body painting and everything in between. I'll truly know this rig inside and out...

Base build is on a Granite chassis from JRC, a mixture of stock and upgrade components from Amazon, CRCU, E-bay, Fast Eddy GPM Horizon Hobby, Integy, JX servos, HotRacing, RPM, and Arrmaskinz. Wish me luck.

20211230_110612.jpg

20211230_110607.jpg

20211230_110513.jpg

20211230_110449.jpg

20211230_110435.jpg

20211230_110400.jpg

20211230_110406.jpg

20211230_110418.jpg

20211230_110422.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.

One thing - hope you are planning on using the 4s Arrma CVDs - the stock driveshafts will not last.

Also - the stock c-hubs will break easily. I went through 3 of them in a few packs - upgraded to the HR c-hubs. don't need the steering blocks, just the c-hubs.

Also - the front body post mount, I broke two of them pretty quick. I upgraded to an aluminum integy one.

The current Arrma "stock" replacements parts seem a little weaker than the original for some reason. I have a friend with (2) original 4s cars, and both of them the front body post mounts are a little different looking than the ones you order now, and have never broke. Same with the c-hubs.

Look what arrived while I was organizing this build. 😈
Oh and please, keep bringing on the tips! I plan to run it and upgrade any stock components as they fail. Already too deep into it to wait on new parts, gonna just keep plowing through.👍

20211230_153650.jpg

Nice.

One thing - hope you are planning on using the 4s Arrma CVDs - the stock driveshafts will not last.

Also - the stock c-hubs will break easily. I went through 3 of them in a few packs - upgraded to the HR c-hubs. don't need the steering blocks, just the c-hubs.

Also - the front body post mount, I broke two of them pretty quick. I upgraded to an aluminum integy one.

The current Arrma "stock" replacements parts seem a little weaker than the original for some reason. I have a friend with (2) original 4s cars, and both of them the front body post mounts are a little different looking than the ones you order now, and have never broke. Same with the c-hubs.
Can I like this twice? 👍👍👍

Did a bunch of pre-assembly for most of the parts on Thursday last week. Consolidated most of the components into associated bags and attached any fasteners that would be needed to attach them to the chassis and to each other. Still waiting on the pivot balls, 6 40mm tapered head fasteners for the bulkheads, and the hub pins.
Building the steering and upper links was interesting. I ended up tapering the hole in each rod end so I could thread the turnbuckles into them. I couldn't get the thread started, there just wasn't enough bite the way they were molded.
Here's my other arrmaskinz, saving this one for my sons Granite.

20211230_174321.jpg

20211230_174406.jpg

20211230_164042.jpg

Nice.

I bought the 4s arrma specific body mounts but didn't see a 4s application on Integys site?

I bought the 4s arrma specific body mounts but didn't see a 4s application on Integys site?
Shoot...my bad. It was GPM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133861275978

I broke two stock ones within a few packs just from bad wheelies and flipping over on the street. Not even from jumps. This is where they both broke. No issues since getting the GPM one.

20211213_122216.jpg

The stock replacements are a little different than the original. Don't know why they changed them. But they are weak now.

The stock replacements are a little different than the original. Don't know why they changed them. But they are weak now.
I just placed the order for the tower braces and front mount.
Shoot...my bad. It was GPM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133861275978

I broke two stock ones within a few packs just from bad wheelies and flipping over on the street. Not even from jumps. This is where they both broke. No issues since getting the GPM one.

View attachment 190281
Are those Typhon 6s shocks as well.

Coming along, but man it's soooooo much easier tearing one down and rebuilding it then starting from scratch. Pulled the Tim Taylor "I don't need no instructions" but that wasn't the best plan apparently.😭 I had to redo all 4 front links, because I pre-set the large rod ends onto the longer turnbuckles and the small ones on the short turnbuckles, and to top it off I still got 1 pair wrong again after redoing them. Found out my error because the toe and camber wasn't working.
Since I started working upside down, I ended up flipping the arms, left/right were reversed and 3 were backwards. 😵
About the only thing I got right was building the differentials with new bearings, but that was the first thing I did. Have 1 issue with the hubs, turns out I bought some aftermarket HEX adapters. They don't sit tight to the bearing so there's a f'-ton of end-play. Looks like I'll have to order the Arrma OE pieces.
Still need to install the electronics, body mounts, the bumpers and wing, paint the body, and add the roll hoop.
This all is happening because I wanted a roll hoop for my Bigrock. Once I saw the Outcast it thay it originally came from, I was hooked.
Updates to follow...

20220105_180313.jpg

20220106_203832.jpg

20220106_235203.jpg

Installed the SR6200A AVC receiver, performed the bind and cal, then buttoned up the chassis. I need the OE Arrma hexes, and still have a few mods on the way... I ended up buying the GPM body mounts, C hubs, and Integy tower plates. Time to paint that Body!

20220107_131116.jpg

20220107_182250.jpg

20220107_182301.jpg

16415987134975841223702968675457.jpg

Last edited:
I literally ordered them 1 minute before I saw your reply. Do the Hexes have a set screw (ie grub screw)?
I didn't order the pins. Want to sell a set?

I literally ordered them 1 minute before I saw your reply. Do the Hexes have a set screw (ie grub screw)?
I didn't order the pins. Want to sell a set?
Was going to give them to you. I don't need them. Ordered by mistake. Want them they are yours.
Can you cancel your order?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back