GRP balancing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
Quick rant 🤔 .....

So I've been going through balancing various wheels/tyres today and just got to my newest GRP S1's. (purchased 2 weeks ago direct from GRP Italy)

Is there a limit when balancing where it's just too out of balance to even bother trying to run them 🤔 ??
I've found that in the past I've added between 0.5-1.7g of weight to get them balanced up just nice, but these new S1's have come up at 1.5g, 3.3g, 2.7g, 2.9g and personally I find that to be quite a bit of weight considering these wheels are only about 4" tall and about 1.5" wide.!!

I know a lot of you guys run GRP's with all that speed running and drag running lately..😎 so I've tagged a few of you in here for your input just incase you miss this thread 👍🏼
@LibertyMKiii @Mr.Duke @Notorious J @jondilly1974 @K-BASH @Edough13 @rotauq

Let me get your opinions please, Thx 👍🏼

I've been wondering the same actually 🤔 as I just got a set of S3'S on trade they are the black rims which I notice also seem twice as flexible over the white rims I have. But same thing it took a lot to balance them I didn't weight how much putty I used but 2 of them took a big ol blob to balance. Now I've switched to BSR foams for speed running with my Lim so these would be for drag hits but again I wonder the same thing and is just odd there is soo much difference between them. Here is the set I recently got and you can see two of them took a lot to balance up. Unlike my foams they took a tiny maybe pea size amount and they are perfect.
GRP's
IMG_20210620_090827969.jpg

BSR foams
IMG_20210620_091052524.jpg

I balance with tape, as long as it still can run freely in the hub its fine for me. Really high speed, i wont use grp's though.

Bad ones you should rebalance after one/two sessions. Especially the soft ones need some runtime to settle in
I've been wondering the same actually 🤔 as I just got a set of S3'S on trade they are the black rims which I notice also seem twice as flexible over the white rims I have. But same thing it took a lot to balance them I didn't weight how much putty I used but 2 of them took a big ol blob to balance. Now I've switched to BSR foams for speed running with my Lim so these would be for drag hits but again I wonder the same thing and is just odd there is soo much difference between them. Here is the set I recently got and you can see two of them took a lot to balance up. Unlike my foams they took a tiny maybe pea size amount and they are perfect.
GRP'sView attachment 153128
BSR foamsView attachment 153129
The harder rims only come in white. don't have the type nr at hand atm

Quick rant 🤔 .....

So I've been going through balancing various wheels/tyres today and just got to my newest GRP S1's. (purchased 2 weeks ago direct from GRP Italy)

Is there a limit when balancing where it's just too out of balance to even bother trying to run them 🤔 ??
I've found that in the past I've added between 0.5-1.7g of weight to get them balanced up just nice, but these new S1's have come up at 1.5g, 3.3g, 2.7g, 2.9g and personally I find that to be quite a bit of weight considering these wheels are only about 4" tall and about 1.5" wide.!!

I know a lot of you guys run GRP's with all that speed running and drag running lately..😎 so I've tagged a few of you in here for your input just incase you miss this thread 👍🏼
@LibertyMKiii @Mr.Duke @Notorious J @jondilly1974 @K-BASH @Edough13 @rotauq

Let me get your opinions please, Thx 👍🏼
I just add what it takes to get them balanced and don’t overthink it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've gotten so.e bad ones here an there. I've been very preticuler on the ones I run(mostly S4s).I use heavy 2-sided tape,(it's what I had on hand when getting into speed, still using it..)my literally burns the rubber off fast,2 runs on these..got S7s on way..in theory.harder tire,less flex,stay more uniform an it should handle higher speeds...only sacrifice is traction.S1 vs S4 squeeze test.also been testing banding them.still trying different adhesives that won't hurt the Kevlar string & braided line im testing.CA makes string hard an brittle.
I street bash my unusable grps.under 100mph can still be fun..

20210620_114001.jpg

20210620_115830.jpg

20210620_113927.jpg

Maybe I have had bad luck but past experience 2 out of 8 GRPs are so bad I cannot even use them.
They end up being blocks that I sit my cars on to keep the tires off the ground. (the idea is to avoid flat spots/needs for rebalancing)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back