Grp slicks 4 speedruns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-BASH

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
Anyone running the slicks for speedruns. I haven't seen anybody using the slicks just wondering why

Screenshot_20210108-074640_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I was under the impression slicks work best on a prepped surface, aka smooth with minimal imperfections.
Fairly confident most people don't have access to a road that good, I also believe GRPs can explode beyond 130mph or so, which is why foams are favoured.

I run S7 GRP slicks for just parking lot bashing and drifting because I wear the treaded ones down to slicks anyways after 1 or 2 runs lol. For my 90-110mph speed runs I've done I haven't felt a noticeable difference in grip between slicks vs. treaded when they are the same hardness rating, but this is probably because the roads I'm on are so bad it doesn't matter.

But yeah for 130+ GRP rubber seems to fail pretty often so if I were going faster than that I'd be using foams too.

I run S7 GRP slicks for just parking lot bashing and drifting because I wear the treaded ones down to slicks anyways after 1 or 2 runs lol. For my 90-110mph speed runs I've done I haven't felt a noticeable difference in grip between slicks vs. treaded when they are the same hardness rating, but this is probably because the roads I'm on are so bad it doesn't matter.

But yeah for 130+ GRP rubber seems to fail pretty often so if I were going faster than that I'd be using foams too.
Have u ever used gyro on speedruns to assist in control??only problem is off throttle with drag brake on truck starts speed wobbling bad.at speed could be real bad

I first bought Slicks thinking they would give more grip, but found that the Revo gave me better grip on the roads I run on. As far as gyros go, I found them to interfere with my stability. If you turn it up to a point where you can see the effect moving the car back and forth by hand and watch the steering correct accordingly, then at high rates of speed, it will modulate back and forth as road vibrations cause it to think it needs to correct. Next thing you know your white line to white line full on tank knocker.

Have u ever used gyro on speedruns to assist in control??only problem is off throttle with drag brake on truck starts speed wobbling bad.at speed could be real bad
Not tried a classic gyro but I have the DX5c with sr6100at and with avc on 6s I have to keep it at like 10% correction or less for parking lot drifting and 5% or less at higher speeds (70+). I eventually disabled avc and just go with steering rate turned down a lot+slow ramp on the trigger, way more predictable for me at higher speeds. I ordered the perfect pass cheater system and will try that this spring time once roads and temps are better.

Imo gyro works best if wanting to drift/slide without much effort or if wanting better launches if doing drag racing type stuff.

Gyro's on my RWD cars (especially on my Sakura D4 driftcar) are nice, but AWD i've never really felt much benefit. And indeed, while speedrunning, it just needs to be setup right. You should not have to be steering a lot.

I remember when i first saw that extreme motorcycle wobble video, it was in the back of my head whiles driving my bike at least a couple of times after i saw it. A 4 wheeled vehicle with F/R diffs does tend to wobble less though. Still enough noise to make a gyro go crazy above 100+

I now the grp slicks area bit heavier than reg.next new i get ill weight .got some ordered.think they would hook better,but then extra rotating mass.🤷‍♂️my 100mph noto project im having trouble with traction. When I go from 46t to 40t it shouldn't be as bad.the area i plan on using i need fast acceleration to pull it off.maybw when it warms up ill get better traction.right now it breaks them all loose at mostly any speed.1 mill in all 3.lol truck don't want to turn.

I’ve always run the Revo-style GRP’s and done well with them up till 131, but I’ve got some S5 slicks I’ll be trying in the spring. They’re my last chance on rubber before I switch to foams :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back