GRP Slicks blown on first run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbobrick

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Notorious
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Outcast EXB
OK so took out the limitless today for the first time with dual MMx8s and the the acceleration is great to say the least but my Concern is that a set of the slicks I got didn't last.
IMG_20200526_221508.jpg
IMG_20200526_221134.jpg
IMG_20200526_221659.jpg

Anyone had premature failure like this I wouldn't say I was on wot either.

I wasnt out doing full pass was just getting an idea of how it felt but around 80mph maybe tops

You can see from the tred that I was just bedding them in.

Doesn't even look like there's any glue on the tyre rubber. :unsure: :oops:

Can you take them back or return them to the seller?
I'd say they were "not fit for purpose" or "faulty goods".

I've not used the slick GRP's but I still have my first set of treaded GRP's that have done countless runs at well over 100mph with no issues whatsoever.

Doesn't even look like there's any glue on the tyre rubber. :unsure: :oops:

Can you take them back or return them to the seller?
I'd say they were "not fit for purpose" or "faulty goods".

I've not used the slick GRP's but I still have my first set of treaded GRP's that have done countless runs at well over 100mph with no issues whatsoever.
This^

looks like a bad glue job from the factory

Yeah I plan to message the seller as you can see they ripped along the vent hole the glue is non existant as stated
Makes sense that they would rip there by the vent hole as if they ballooned (due to lack of glue or none) at speed then that's the weakest point.

Let us know how you get on please. (y)

I have some GRP slicks, haven't had any issues with them yet..!! ( famous last words ? )

What compound are you using..??
Is it possible that all the torque of your twin motor monster literally ripped them off the rims..!! ?

Makes sense that they would rip there by the vent hole as if they ballooned (due to lack of glue or none) at speed then that's the weakest point.

Let us know how you get on please. (y)

Will do!
I have some GRP slicks, haven't had any issues with them yet..!! ( famous last words ? )

What compound are you using..??
Is it possible that all the torque of your twin motor monster literally ripped them off the rims..!! ?
I've ran the GRP Revo tred on this with the dual blx esc and so far have been good with no issues. The slicks are s4

I think I've just been unlucky with the pair I got.

That’s just plain and simple lack of adhesive. Factory defect for sure.
Yeah from the outer they looked good but it's been one of then don't judge the book by it cover situs.
Out of fear of this sort of issue I sand the edge down and then add BSI IC2000 glue on my GRPs. No issues so far "knock on wood".
For sure I checked ran in and balanced my Revo GRP's with no issues.... Never expected this tbh.

So sent over a dozen photos over 3 emails now the the seller, UK based BTW and seems to be going back to his supplier
This was his initial response.

Hi mate, could you send me pictures of the inside of the wheel and also both sides were the wheels are glued to the rims.
These wheels go through very rigorous and stringent testing - I'm sending the pics to the manufacturers and they will advise me on what to.

Now he asked for more photos!

You can clearly see this is lack of and under my microscope that I use for pcb work this is just pure cyanoacrylate not anything special or had any additives by look of colour.

I think with any GRP's now I will clean off and use some BSI
I have just received some cheap sets to try that have come unmounted so will be using some bsi on them.

I'll let you know how they blow up!
15908821254562950845147906863259.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back