Typhon Had to flex on ya....?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Decided that the 2.8 Road Rages were not big enough for the rears, so I decided to grab a pair of 3.8s ???

Stupid thing won’t even keep the front wheels on the ground with anything more than 1/4 throttle, even at 30+mph ??

Just like they say on Street Outlaws...

don't TRY THIS S@&T AT HOME!!

The tires are rotating at different speeds since they aren’t the same size. Right now you’re pushing the front tires because they rotate faster. Having no center diff makes it even harder on the drivetrain....it’s a bad idea even with a center diff though.

There is a ‘don’t skip leg day’ joke in here somewhere, I just know it!

That’s pretty hilarious, but also kinda cool. No surprise that you need a wheelie bar with those monster tires. I second pulling the driveshaft. Your front tires aren’t helping much at this point anyway, so might as well save the diff and axles.

The tires are rotating at different speeds since they aren’t the same size. Right now you’re pushing the front tires because they rotate faster. Having no center diff makes it even harder on the drivetrain....it’s a bad idea even with a center diff though.

Yeah I’m an idiot. To be honest tho, the front wheels rarely touched the ground ??

That’s what this forum is for man....not an idiot just didn’t think about it....I’ve been there brother lol
I fixed the problem...

I bought two more ??

These no center diff in a 3S ??‍♂️

That’s a good idea tho ?

All I saw was the terribly mismatched tire sizes. Didn't notice it was 3s. But on another note, Keep a close eye on motor temp. That is effectively an increase in gear ratio and they are much heavier so they are harder to accelerate. It's going to get hot a lot quicker.

All I saw was the terribly mismatched tire sizes. Didn't notice it was 3s. But on another note, Keep a close eye on motor temp. That is effectively an increase in gear ratio and they are much heavier so they are harder to accelerate. It's going to get hot a lot quicker.
Thanks for the heads up. This used to be a Granite BLX so it still has a 15T pinion. I do have a motor fan too. I also don’t really give AF if this motor or ESC burn cuz I have a BLX120 and 4S motor on the way. I’m learning as I go and this one only took a few mins to realize it was a dumb idea. Didn’t even run a whole pack.
Just let the guy run his sh!t. He'll find out the hard way. I think it pretty cool. That's why we buy um to tear um up
I don’t mind the input if I’m being an idiot, but yeah I probably am gonna break some stuff and I’m good with that ????

Just let the guy run his sh!t. He'll find out the hard way. I think it pretty cool. That's why we buy um to tear um up

Bashing and tearing it up is one thing. This is another and I assume people don’t have money to just burn on something like this. So sitting back and watching it “just so he’ll learn on his own” isn’t what this forum is for. He could have been a 14 year old kid that mowed 25 lawns to pay for his rig....

So do y’all like these better? GRP Tyres 1:8 GT Slick S2 XSoft Black Spoked Belted On-Road Rubber Tires GRPGTX02-S2

Quite a few years back, I had a set of OFNA "stadium truck" tires on my nitro jato. I really liked those tires as they were a good middle ground between 1/8 buggy and MT wheels/tires. They were wider and taller than buggy, but not as big as MT. OFNA doesn't exist anymore and I couldn't find another set after getting them. I first ran them on a 1/8th nitro buggy and really liked it. I sold the buggy, but moved the tires to my jato with 17mm adapters. They went bald pretty quick beings it was 2wd and pretty light, so a lot of rear wheel spin.

1/8th buggy on the front, ofna truggy on the rear:
2009-0912-JatoCutHeadLeft.jpg

I had them on the front too for a bit, but decided to keep them just for the rear:
2009-0809-JatoWithOFNATiresSide.jpg

That thing wheelied easy anyway, but with those larger tires, it did it even more. Fun while it lasted!

Still have the tires somewhere, but those photo's were from 10 years ago. I've since converted the thing to electric and now run 2.8" trenchers on it!
2019-0329-eJato-WrappedTiresSpur.jpg

I know a few have "truggified" their typhon's on here with 2.8" MT wheels/tires. You might like that.

Last edited:
Quite a few years back, I had a set of OFNA "stadium truck" tires on my nitro jato. I really liked those tires as they were a good middle ground between 1/8 buggy and MT wheels/tires. They were wider and taller than buggy, but not as big as MT. OFNA doesn't exist anymore and I couldn't find another set after getting them. I first ran them on a 1/8th nitro buggy and really liked it. I sold the buggy, but moved the tires to my jato with 17mm adapters. They went bald pretty quick beings it was 2wd and pretty light, so a lot of rear wheel spin.

1/8th buggy on the front, ofna truggy on the rear:
2009-0912-JatoCutHeadLeft.jpg

I had them on the front too for a bit, but decided to keep them just for the rear:
2009-0809-JatoWithOFNATiresSide.jpg

That thing wheelied easy anyway, but with those larger tires, it did it even more. Fun while it lasted!

Still have the tires somewhere, but those photo's were from 10 years ago. I've since converted the thing to electric and now run 2.8" trenchers on it!
2019-0329-eJato-WrappedTiresSpur.jpg

I know a few have "truggified" their typhon's on here with 2.8" MT wheels/tires. You might like that.

Yeah I have a set of MX28 Badlands already. ??

So do y’all like these better? GRP Tyres 1:8 GT Slick S2 XSoft Black Spoked Belted On-Road Rubber Tires GRPGTX02-S2

View attachment 40266
You are quite the tinkerer and I think it's pretty cool. Reminds me of myself when I jumped into this hobby long ago at 100 mph. Lol

Hey @jondilly1974 i really liked your first pic. Thought it looked really cool and messing around and trying g new stuff is what makes this hobby fun. If it were me I would have loaded the front end down with some lead weights.

Whether the thing would work or not, who cares, it would be find just messing about????

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back