Hard Case Batteries or Soft Side

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22-250Fan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 6s
I've got a BRCC and was wondering if I have to run the hard case batteries? Are they more so for durability bashing the truck or what? My nephew has a couple of new soft side batteries and they wont fit in his rig. I can get them for cheap and change the ends to fit mine. Thanks for any info.

I've got a BRCC and was wondering if I have to run the hard case batteries? Are they more so for durability bashing the truck or what? My nephew has a couple of new soft side batteries and they wont fit in his rig. I can get them for cheap and change the ends to fit mine. Thanks for any info.
I run a lot of soft packs and haven't had much for issues, some of the shrink wrap has wore out, nothing a little gorilla tape didn't fix.

You kind of have to be concerned with small stones getting under them/beside them when bashing. Between the vibration and weight of the pack, the stone can puncture a soft pack. Most of my soft packs have dents in them from this. So, when I remove them, before charging, I inspect them pretty closely to make sure there aren't any holes all the way into the cells. If there were, you kind of have to run them dead, short them out, then dispose of them. Tape works to fix holes in the shrink wrap, but not holes in the actual cell skin.

If you can get the soft packs for dirt (no pun intended ) do so. If you're buying new, hard case is the way to go especially for offroad bashing.

I only have hard packs. I think soft are pretty safe but hard is safer. I'm not necessarily the softest person on my stuff so the more I can protect things like Lipo batteries from myself the better. Heaps of guys runs soft packs with no issue

I run a mix and have yet to have any real issues running soft and I've in the past not that I do it anymore.. but have beat the poop out of my trucks ;)

I had some Turnigy hard packs that had holes around the leads so dirt and water could come in, and the cells inside weren't a snug fit so they'd rattle around. I'd rather have a soft pack and see what's going on than THAT kind of hard pack :)

I did plug the holes around the wires with shoe goo on another pair I got later...

I think it depends on how well the battery box protects the battery. If the battery is well protected than it doesn't matter much whether you use a soft or a hard case. If the battery is somewhat exposed, then it's best to use a hard case battery.

Brian

The 3S battery I got for my BRCC is a softpack and is shorter than the battery slot. I have had a few issues where the battery has come clean out of the car on a few ocassions. I am thinking about fabricating a "hardcase" that will fit the battery tray and slot over the softcell batteries. Has anyone done this or see any problems with doing this?

I saw a video where some guy went off a jump, nose dived his car and then it caught on fire. Whoa.

Saw another video where some guy crashed and smooshed a soft pack.

That being said- I don't live in fear of either happening- if it does it does. Just a toy.

You can buy a dust cover if you want to keep rocks out. I have one but haven't used it yet.

I saw a video where some guy went off a jump, nose dived his car and then it caught on fire. Whoa.

Saw another video where some guy crashed and smooshed a soft pack.

That being said- I don't live in fear of either happening- if it does it does. Just a toy.

You can buy a dust cover if you want to keep rocks out. I have one but haven't used it yet.
I put a dust cover on just the other day and so far it's kept the rocks out so no worries there. I have noticed that I've been getting a little higher and farther out on my jumps every time I run it. LOL. No worries there either. Like you said, it's a toy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back