Hard pack vs soft pack lipo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably best to stick with hard case packs if your abusing em bad enough to only last a few times.

You could potentially take a soft pack and put G10/fiberglass plates on the sides, but then the weight might equal out?

What specifically about the soft packs aren't holding up?

Lipos need proper support in the battery tray. As an example, i've had hardcases crack and come apart because the battery tray i put them in wasn't supporting them correctly.

If that's the same case here for you, it may be wise to address the issue at root rather than the symptom.

I use hard packs because they last to the torture I put my rigs through. However they are quite heavy. Are there any tricks to lightening or should I go to soft packs to lighten? The only issue is the soft packs I have last a few runs and they are done
I put flat pieces of high-quality foam (like from a television box, it's firmer and absorbs a lot of shock) on the bottom of my battery tray for some extra buffer during big hits. Can even glue some to the sides to really get it protected. That being said I typically only run hard-cases as well but it keeps them better protected as well.

I prefer soft packs only because if they swell up I can see it and dispose of it before something bad happens..I had a hard pack swell and you can't see them because they are hidden inside the case ..do what was mentioned.secure the packs correctly and you shouldn't have a problem..fires happen and if you can't see the dangers inside the hard case it could be to late . especially if that pack is swollen and you start charging it and it goes up in flames ..better be safe than sorry

m down with the hard packs!!
I'm down with the sickness!!
Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 5.26.09 PM.png

Old discussion but same recommendations, avoid hardpacks.
They offer no additional protection, dirt collects (or water), they are heavier and more often than not the wires get damaged at the entry point.

How are you damaging the soft packs? Layer of foam underneath, protects better than any hardcase and maybe a strip of ducttape on any points that might rub. My oldest pack is now 3 years into hard bashing, doesn't look pretty, but no damage.

I use velcro (plus straps) to help secure my LiPos to my helis. It's just to help keep them from sliding around.

In addition to firm foam around the sides, could you use velcro to help keep the packs anchored in the battery tray, so they shift around less?

I use hard packs because they last to the torture I put my rigs through. However they are quite heavy. Are there any tricks to lightening or should I go to soft packs to lighten? The only issue is the soft packs I have last a few runs and they are done
Looks like your main concern is the weight? Go smaller MAH with multiple packs ready to go.

What specifically about the soft packs aren't holding up?

Lipos need proper support in the battery tray. As an example, i've had hardcases crack and come apart because the battery tray i put them in wasn't supporting them correctly.

If that's the same case here for you, it may be wise to address the issue at root rather than the symptom.
It’s in a sledge battery tray with yoga mat foam at the bottom. I do duperbash like poop and soft packs never last
I prefer soft packs only because if they swell up I can see it and dispose of it before something bad happens..I had a hard pack swell and you can't see them because they are hidden inside the case ..do what was mentioned.secure the packs correctly and you shouldn't have a problem..fires happen and if you can't see the dangers inside the hard case it could be to late . especially if that pack is swollen and you start charging it and it goes up in flames ..better be safe than sorry
True but I’ve never had a hard case fatality. Always soft packs and I have yoga mat foam in my tray
Looks like your main concern is the weight? Go smaller MAH with multiple packs ready to go.
It is but even with yoga mat foam in the tray the soft packs die quick
I use velcro (plus straps) to help secure my LiPos to my helis. It's just to help keep them from sliding around.

In addition to firm foam around the sides, could you use velcro to help keep the packs anchored in the battery tray, so they shift around less?
Yea I use yoga foam and tekno straps it won’t move at all but still does quick
Old discussion but same recommendations, avoid hardpacks.
They offer no additional protection, dirt collects (or water), they are heavier and more often than not the wires get damaged at the entry point.

How are you damaging the soft packs? Layer of foam underneath, protects better than any hardcase and maybe a strip of ducttape on any points that might rub. My oldest pack is now 3 years into hard bashing, doesn't look pretty, but no damage.
Yea yoga mat foam at the bottom and tekno straps they never move but whether the lipo bows or leaks it always dies
Im down with the hard packs!! 🔥💯
I’ve never had a fatality yet lol
Dangers concealed in hard case lipos...no bueno 😭
No fatality’s yet! That’s the thing
Me too. Most of mine are soft and I bash hard. AJ talks about this in one of his videos. @ minute 7:40

Thank you!
I put flat pieces of high-quality foam (like from a television box, it's firmer and absorbs a lot of shock) on the bottom of my battery tray for some extra buffer during big hits. Can even glue some to the sides to really get it protected. That being said I typically only run hard-cases as well but it keeps them better protected as well.
Word yea I use thick yoga mat and never had a hard case die just softies

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back