Kraton Has anybody owned both the Castle 1717 1650kv and Hobbywing 4585 1650 kv, or Hobbystar 4092/4585?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackka

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a new motor that will go into a Kraton EXB and I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed with any of the options I'm considering but am wondering what, if any, the real world differences are in terms of power or efficiency.

Has anyone tried both of these motors and noticed any difference either in temperature or running time in relatively similar settings/conditions?

I'm shopping for a new motor that will go into a Kraton EXB and I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed with any of the options I'm considering but am wondering what, if any, the real world differences are in terms of power or efficiency.

Has anyone tried both of these motors and noticed any difference either in temperature or running time in relatively similar settings/conditions?
Castle most certainly runs cooler than my hobbywing setups. ??‍♂️ My hobbystar stuff can get warm as well..

Last edited:
Lil ole tp 4050 1700kv.lighter,run cooler on 6s,smoke them others on 8s.

Screenshot_20201215-134940_Google.jpg

I have run the castle 1717 the hobbywing 4985 and the hobbywing 5687 the 5687 is definitely an all day bashing setup completely stays cool no fan or heat sinks needed on a 30 tooth pinion

My vote is 5687
Does that fit??? I was wondering that and measured the height up to the center of the mounting bracket and it seemed it didn't have the minimum 28mm of height that I guessed would be needed for a 56mm diameter motor. I'm all for having the largest motor I can fit in the truck, but didn't think it was possible.

With the PPS motor mount it clears just fine it is definitely the longest can you will be able to fit as it sits just barely in front of the steering post and there's enough clearance off the chassis to put a foam pad underneath but that would definitely be the largest motor you can fit on that platform
The 4985 I would say is a turbocharged V6 1717 is a supercharged V6 infa 5687 is a blown 454

With the PPS motor mount it clears just fine it is definitely the longest can you will be able to fit as it sits just barely in front of the steering post and there's enough clearance off the chassis to put a foam pad underneath but that would definitely be the largest motor you can fit on that platform
The 4985 I would say is a turbocharged V6 1717 is a supercharged V6 infa 5687 is a blown 454
Will that PPS motor mount fit any motor, weather it be 1717 / 5687 --- looking at their site they only have on size available and all other versions are sold out---

How about the Spektrum 1250kV from the 8S trucks? Would you say it is comparable to the Hobbywing 5687? Thanks!

Haha, nice. That PPS mount looks very cool.
Lil ole tp 4050 1700kv.lighter,run cooler on 6s,smoke them others on 8s.

View attachment 114140
Hmmm. So many choices. lol
If it can be geared to similar performance and runs more efficiently, definitely would be nice.

Last edited:
Yeah, getting enough power isn't the issue. I want to know which one is the most efficient. ie. runs cooler and longer on the same battery.
I have 8 6s batteries so run time isn't a problem for me. But I would think the 4092.

I have 8 6s batteries so run time isn't a problem for me. But I would think the 4092.
Yeah, buying enough battery packs isn't an issue either. Like I said in the post, I just want to know what real world difference exists between the motors, if any. What's your guess based on? Something like you've tried other motors geared for similar performance and noticed a hotter temp or less runtime?

Cooler would definitely be the 5687 it's the largest can and the lowest kv. 30t pinion and it's good for 64 mph I have a running video of it on my YouTube. The lower the kv the more efficient the motor is. The more efficient the less heat. With a monster can like that it's more surface area to keep it cool.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back