Kraton Has anybody owned both the Castle 1717 1650kv and Hobbywing 4585 1650 kv, or Hobbystar 4092/4585?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would get either the Hobbywing or Hobbystar considering the fact the castle motor cost almost $100 more.
4585 hobbystar or surpass hobby is the same
I said in Mojave exb both are good castle 1717 much better

I’ve been using the Max6/4985 combo on a 20t pinion for about a year now. I’ve had no issues with the motor, but I can’t seem to keep the ESC cool. It has an aftermarket 35mm fan spinning at about 28k RPM’s and it still overheats after about 10 minutes. Not sure what the problem is.

I’ve been using the Max6/4985 combo on a 20t pinion for about a year now. I’ve had no issues with the motor, but I can’t seem to keep the ESC cool. It has an aftermarket 35mm fan spinning at about 28k RPM’s and it still overheats after about 10 minutes. Not sure what the problem is.
I would think the current load is too large for the ESC to handle, but then I would think the motor should also overheat, so not sure what's going on.

Maybe try contacting Hobbystar to inquire about the situation just in case your particular ESC has an issue,
or try an ESC with a larger current rating like a Max5 or Castle MMX 8S ? Hope you can get it resolved.

Cooler would definitely be the 5687 it's the largest can and the lowest kv. 30t pinion and it's good for 64 mph I have a running video of it on my YouTube. The lower the kv the more efficient the motor is. The more efficient the less heat. With a monster can like that it's more surface area to keep it cool.
Then why is my 1100kv heats up quickly? I started to think it is the battery or maybe the damn Trenchers are too big? Granted, I will also try going from 22T to 20T on the 50T spur and check driveline bind, but so far I am super frustrated with the 1100kv motor, which should run room temp on a 6S EXB Kraton.

Then why is my 1100kv heats up quickly? I started to think it is the battery or maybe the damn Trenchers are too big? Granted, I will also try going from 22T to 20T on the 50T spur and check driveline bind, but so far I am super frustrated with the 1100kv motor, which should run room temp on a 6S EXB Kraton.
I would think if you are on a 22 tooth and getting hot. Either you have some binding somewhere or the outside temp just may be high to begin with. We would need more information to kinda figure out what’s going on. What esc? Outside temps? When was the last time you went through the bearings?

I would think if you are on a 22 tooth and getting hot. Either you have some binding somewhere or the outside temp just may be high to begin with. We would need more information to kinda figure out what’s going on. What esc? Outside temps? When was the last time you went through the bearings?
Thanks for taking the time think about this and respond.
Mamba Monster X 8S
Trenchers 3.8 (I have Badlands, but this for testing at the moment)
Bearings? Do you mean the diffs or the wheel bearings? If wheel bearings, I just installed new Hot Racing hubs Front and rear (as I have read around here that it reduces the popping out driveshaft issue). As for for diffs, yeah those are next for rebuild (just had the metal EXB casings arrive for all 3).
Outside temp around 85-95F

Thanks for taking the time think about this and respond.
Mamba Monster X 8S
Trenchers 3.8 (I have Badlands, but this for testing at the moment)
Bearings? Do you mean the diffs or the wheel bearings? If wheel bearings, I just installed new Hot Racing hubs Front and rear (as I have read around here that it reduces the popping out driveshaft issue). As for for diffs, yeah those are next for rebuild (just had the metal EXB casings arrive for all 3).
Outside temp around 85-95F
So it is a little warmer in outside temps. But not crazy. Yes and and all rotating mass bearings. I would check them all. Also tall grass will generate a lot of heat into a motor so will hard braking.

So it is a little warmer in outside temps. But not crazy. Yes and and all rotating mass bearings. I would check them all. Also tall grass will generate a lot of heat into a motor so will hard braking.
Thanks for the tips, I will follow this path. I guess after all the hubs are swapped with new parts including new bearings, I will handle the diff revamps. I kept putting off installing the metal covers, no more excuses. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back