Kraton Has anybody owned both the Castle 1717 1650kv and Hobbywing 4585 1650 kv, or Hobbystar 4092/4585?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, getting enough power isn't the issue. I want to know which one is the most efficient. ie. runs cooler and longer on the same battery.
Castle and TP appear to be the most efficient motors. At 90%. That means cooler also.
Combos limit your choices in some regards. Best to mix and match the best ESC's to a great motor.
Castle motors are great, but subbed out by castle to their specs. Castle ESC's however are in house designed and built. FWIW.
Poseiden and TP are at the extreme end of motors.

Hmm I hd a castle 1717--2200KV in my cart------do I want the 1650 version for my EXB???
2200kv in a Kraton? A big mistake. You will need like 20 50mm fans all over that motor and ESC. :ROFLMAO:

Why isn’t your YouTube channel linked to your profile? How are we supposed to find it? ?
Sorry it's a bit on the darker side it was shot at dusk so turn up your brightness lol

Castle and TP appear to be the most efficient motors. At 90%. That means cooler also.
Combos limit your choices in some regards. Best to mix and match the best ESC's to a great motor.
Castle motors are great, but subbed out by castle to their specs. Castle ESC's however are in house designed and built. FWIW.
Poseiden and TP are at the extreme end of motors.

Yeah, hard to tell if there are actual differences since Hobbywing also claims 90% efficiency, as well as Spektrum 1250kv motor's manual spec saying 90%.
What's interesting with the Spektrum 1250kv motor is that it's about the same size as the 1717 and the 4985 cans, but weighs roughly 200grams more. Not sure what to make of it.

I'd love to experiment with TP or Poseidon motors, but it seems their can size goes from 409x up directly to 56xx, so there are no comparable sizes to Castle's 1717 or Hobbywing's 4985, which are the maximum sizes that can fit in the Kraton EXB without using an aftermarket motor mount like the PPS one.

Yeah, hard to tell if there are actual differences since Hobbywing also claims 90% efficiency, as well as Spektrum 1250kv motor's manual spec saying 90%.
What's interesting with the Spektrum 1250kv motor is that it's about the same size as the 1717 and the 4985 cans, but weighs roughly 200grams more. Not sure what to make of it.

I'd love to experiment with TP or Poseidon motors, but it seems their can size goes from 409x up directly to 56xx, so there are no comparable sizes to Castle's 1717 or Hobbywing's 4985, which are the maximum sizes that can fit in the Kraton EXB without using an aftermarket motor mount like the PPS one.
Perhaps the optional M2C

https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA320538 is this what you mean? I just looked at the part on Arrma's website and I think it might be just for the mounting screw holes. I believe the 56mm diameter doesn't fit unless the whole motor mount actually sits higher than the stock one.

SO I can't speak to the Castle motor, but I don't care for the Hobbywing 4985SL 1650kv. A lot of guys use them and the performance and heat seems to vary a good bit depending on each motor. It doesn't have quite as much low-end torque as I'd like and it gets really hot, even running only the 18T pinion. A good heatsink and fan can handle the heat pretty easy though. I might end up getting some hybrid ceramic motor bearings for it and see if that helps.

I recently upped to the max 6 4985 20t and I love it. So far in the 40s F it runs cool enough without any fans, my temp gun was reading 90-100F after bashing (45F ish degrees ambient). I bumped up the punch from factory 3 to 4 and holy cow it's a worlds difference with low end torque. At 4 punch my motor was hitting 130F. Will definitely be adding fans before winter is over.

I recently upped to the max 6 4985 20t and I love it. So far in the 40s F it runs cool enough without any fans, my temp gun was reading 90-100F after bashing (45F ish degrees ambient). I bumped up the punch from factory 3 to 4 and holy cow it's a worlds difference with low end torque. At 4 punch my motor was hitting 130F. Will definitely be adding fans before winter is over.
what KV is that motor ?

Has anyone tried running the HW 4985 with the stock BLX185? Will the BLX hold up? My Max6 is in my X-Maxx so I have the 4985 sitting around.

Has anyone tried running the HW 4985 with the stock BLX185? Will the BLX hold up? My Max6 is in my X-Maxx so I have the 4985 sitting around.
Not sure. It may end up working fine in actual use, but the BLX185 is rated for 150A and the Hobbywing 4985 at Maximum Output Power draws 160A.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back