Has anyone had this problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjuilo80

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used a 100c 5000mh battery with a hobbywing max8 set up an burn the esc an motor ? I do have a 17t pinion in it . The battery is spectrum.

Ugh I just ended grabbing a max6 to put in . It was recommended. Was told the battery was to powerful for the set up just never heard of that but I am kinda new to this.

Ugh I just ended grabbing a max6 to put in . It was recommended. Was told the battery was to powerful for the set up just never heard of that but I am kinda new to this.
No the battery isn't too powerful that is impossible. The battery doesn't push power into the esc and motor, the motor pulls power through the esc from the battery. And those Spektrum batteries are extremely overrated real world testing puts them at a true C rate of 29C. You were over geared for the combo, I wouldn't run the Max8 on anything over 14t.

Color Coded Test Listing.jpg

Last edited:
I've never ran Hobbywing. But have bashed plenty with 100c and 90c packs with blx185 Spektrum 150A Castle MMX8S and no issues on any motor I've ran being BLX, Spektrum and TP all good👍

Ok so I guess I have lol. But actual Hobbywing branded I've not ran any of their products. I think as you said @slick2500 the main issue is running the 17t pinion as that's a steep gearing for that setup and will cause A LOT of heat which then breaks down the magnets and then KAPOW lol

Ok . If I gear it down an since that motor an esc is blown once I put the max 6 should I have any problems? Oh an thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it.

Ok . If I gear it down an since that motor an esc is blown once I put the max 6 should I have any problems? Oh an thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it.
What motor are you going to be using with the Max6? If you go with the 4985 1650kv start at 18T.

You need to re-learn a couple things. Someone has been giving you bad advice.

A battery (LIPO) can't be strong enough to kill anything, absolute nonsense. Voltage is what could kill i.e. do not use 8S on 6S electronics. You want a high C rating but understand that all manufacturers are lying about it i.e. do some research on good and useful Lipos before you spend your money. Match the Lipo to the recommended size for the rig.

An ESC controls the motor and has nothing (or little) to do with pinion or lipo selection.

Your motor dictates all the prior and one key term is the kV rating. With 2050kV on 6S (24V) you have roughly 24*2050 rpm= 49000 rpm. Realistically probably 40000rpm.
With a 17T pinion on a Kraton/Outcast etc that completely overloads the motor and gear train on gras etc. For asphalt it is possible in short bursts.
No idea what you are running but 15T is a max for that setup on the road. 17T spells quick death. It will be fun though for the few minutes it will last.

If you pick a motor with a lower kV rating you can increase pinion size. 17T or 18T is ideal for a 4985 (1650kV), that one has more torque and requires more current i.e. a larger ESC to make it happen.

By all means, ask for some advice but we would need to know surface conditions and your rig type with tires and we can save you some money.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back