Has anyone successfully powered LEDs using the Receiver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybrdude

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Have the G.T. Power LED set and have tried channel 3 and BAT (on Receiver) to power the LEDs as suggested with no success. :-(

Has anyone successfully powered LEDs using the Receiver?

I've never done it, but always thought a set would be cool. From what I've read, I thought it was as easy as plugging them into the empty port. Let me know what you find out!

You should have your bec output voltage available on the +\- pins at every position on your reciever. Use a DVM to verify this. If so, the LEDs might be bad or just require a higher voltage.

Thanks guys. Turns out the control box for the LEDs was BAD (you were spot on Dustin).

After the exchange everything works as expected when using channel 3 (or BAT) to power the LEDs. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20160812_001306.jpg
    IMG_20160812_001306.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20160812_001316.jpg
    IMG_20160812_001316.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20160811_222832.jpg
    IMG_20160811_222832.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20160811_222643.jpg
    IMG_20160811_222643.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20160812_084344.jpg
    IMG_20160812_084344.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 123
I have powered lights and fans to a reciever. Fans are easy lights tho...can be frustrating. 2 ways one way is with the box. It's the hardest because most boxes are many to control the lights with your servo and esc...brighter fronts when driving dimmer when stopped reverse lights and signals....can get finicky easily after bad landings too because of servo maybe getting off center... 2nd way is skip the box and wire it directly to your battery or 3rd channel on the rx...wouldn't do more than 10 leds assuming each uses about .5amps draw back is your body will be kinda connected to the truck...

I like skipping the whole deal and wiring a 9v to the body. I find it to be the least problematic.... I'll explain, the granite has kinda a limited battery area. To run stuff takes amps... A batteries

mah(.01) x c rating = amps

The more mah a bat has the longer the bat is. The more c rating the bat has the taller the bat is. Without any fan and lights...winch....whatever....just to run a 10 scale takes about 90-95max amps. You will want to take that in account if you set up some lights and a fan which will make the system need 105a max

So say you get a 4000mah 20c lipo

4000(.001) x 20
4.000 x 20
80amps max

I been going through this because my system needs 95 max amps and my battery has suffered
Thankfully I did see someone say there was an smc battery that's 4300mah 40c

4300(.001) x 40
4.3 x 40
172 max amps

Figured I'd give you some thoughts about the subject

Even when I do switch batteries I still won't do it because I personally would find it annoying to take off my receiver box top so much...especially after trying to fit more connections in that tiny box

Last edited:
I have powered lights and fans to a reciever. Fans are easy lights tho...can be frustrating. 2 ways one way is with the box. It's the hardest because most boxes are many to control the lights with your servo and esc...brighter fronts when driving dimmer when stopped reverse lights and signals....can get finicky easily after bad landings too because of servo maybe getting off center... 2nd way is skip the box and wire it directly to your battery or 3rd channel on the rx...wouldn't do more than 10 leds assuming each uses about .5amps draw back is your body will be kinda connected to the truck...

I like skipping the whole deal and wiring a 9v to the body. I find it to be the least problematic.... I'll explain, the granite has kinda a limited battery area. To run stuff takes amps... A batteries

mah(.01) x c rating = amps

The more mah a bat has the longer the bat is. The more c rating the bat has the taller the bat is. Without any fan and lights...winch....whatever....just to run a 10 scale takes about 90-95max amps. You will want to take that in account if you set up some lights and a fan which will make the system need 105a max

So say you get a 4000mah 20c lipo

4000(.001) x 20
4.000 x 20
80amps max

I been going through this because my system needs 95 max amps and my battery has suffered
Thankfully I did see someone say there was an smc battery that's 4300mah 40c

4300(.001) x 40
4.3 x 40
172 max amps

Figured I'd give you some thoughts about the subject

Even when I do switch batteries I still won't do it because I personally would find it annoying to take off my receiver box top so much...especially after trying to fit more connections in that tiny box
Nice explanation!

Yes we do. 4 LED´s in the front of a Nero. I picked up the voltage from a extender cable from the front diff servo.
Just for each LED an resistor and thats it.
On the Nero Big Rock where no possibility to mount LED´s in the front bumper, so i made something in my cellar.
On the rear I have 4 Cree LED´s in red (running 5V) and at the front 2 from car equipment (running 12V.
Here I mad an wiring with an ESC from a copter which gives me 4-6s input and on the output side 12V and one more adjustable channel which have 5V actual. The main power for the ESC comes from the cap pack of the original ESC/controller (4 or 6s).
All not switchable with the radio because I could not find a way to extend the ttx300 to 4ch.
For outside-bashing I do not use a high price radio.....

Regards,
lonee

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back