has anyone tried using a lipo bag in the rc while in use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There has to be some venting somewhere or you just made a bomb. It takes 30 seconds to remove a battery. Time well spent so your $500+ rc doesn't melt in case of an accident. :D

I assume the idea would be to protect the vehicle it is in from the battery failing during a run. A couple problems I can see: first, it will likely make your batteries run hotter overall as a bag would keep airflow off the pack and insulate it from radiating heat as well. That isn’t the end of the world, but isn’t really desirable either. Also, more importantly, the bag will need to be vented in some fashion to let the hot gasses from a burning battery escape. the problem is, there really isn’t anywhere inside a vehicle that you would want to vent hot gasses! Whatever is in the way is going to get melted and potentially lit on fire. So, a bag wouldn’t keep the truck from getting damaged, it would just give you better control over what s burnt up.

It isn’t necessarily a bad idea, and maybe it could be done in a way that is useful. Just don’t expect that it will offer protection from ALL damage if a battery lights up, or that there aren’t trade offs.

There has to be some venting somewhere or you just made a bomb. It takes 30 seconds to remove a battery. Time well spent so your $500+ rc doesn't melt in case of an accident. :D
☝️ This.
You could vent the bag in a direction that would cause the least amount of damage.

This seems about as necessary as driving to work in your car wearing a full face helmet and a nomex fire suit. Would it help if you got in a wreck or burst into flames, sure, but the likelihood of that happening is almost zero.

Well here is the biggest issue with this idea. A 2200mah 2s lipo can burn through a lipo bag. So what do you think a 5000mah+ 6s lipo would do to one?

99.999% not needed. More of a hassle than a preventative!

my battery is starting to puff up and im afraid to burn up my rc. its only like3 or 4 months old
Then dispose of it. No need to put yourself at risk. Like stated above the lipo bag will probably make things worse, more heat on an already failing battery is not going to end well.

Last edited:
Then dispose of it. No need to put yourself at risk. Like stated above the lipo bag will probably make things worse, more heat on an already failing battery is not going to end well.
it still has lots of run time. just noticed it getting i little puffy and think maybe it because my new esc has too much of a draw on it now. i think my 120 esc wants more than 35c

The battery box would have to be ceramic lined, or something to that effect, with vent holes through the bottom of the RC.

A little puffy is still puffy. You're risking fire, serious burns, and loss or property over the cost of a new battery. That scale def tips in one direction there if you ask me.

my battery is starting to puff up and im afraid to burn up my rc. its only like3 or 4 months old
I understand your concern with the new battery, cost wise, and it's unfortunate. But you have 2 choices, run it or not.

Like you said you're afraid to burn your RC down. It's risky charging, storing, running a damaged lipo. Don't see a way to run it without some risk. I'd rather give up a $100 lipo than burn down my $750+ Kraton.

I have used puffed batteries before in a couple of $300 rigs and had no problems, so the choice is yours.

I understand your concern with the new battery, cost wise, and it's unfortunate. But you have 2 choices, run it or not.

Like you said you're afraid to burn your RC down. It's risky charging, storing, running a damaged lipo. Don't see a way to run it without some risk. I'd rather give up a $100 lipo than burn down my $750+ Kraton.

I have used puffed batteries before in a couple of $300 rigs and had no problems, so the choice is yours.
Or house.

One puff is enough for me. Any signs of a swelling battery and I junk it
A lipo bag is designed to slow the fire. It won't stop it. There are even more safe options out there. They are better than nothing but you also need to think through what you would do if you actually had one on fire and in some cases standing up wind and letting it burn out is the best option.......even it means no more RC. You can buy another RC but body parts are super expensive!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back