Limitless Having issues with my limitless setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allstar71

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Talion
I just got my Limitless and was overly excited once I got it out of the box. I had a Castle Monster Mamba X and a Castle Sensorless 1515 2200kv lying around that wasnt being used so I decided to install. I get everything in and take it out and it runs for 5 minutes and shuts down overheating. I am using the gearing that came with the limitless 27P 34S. The car seemed good when you hit the gas it would break the tires loose easily. The motor/esc is probably 3-4 years old but probably has less than 10 batteries through it. Please let me know your thoughts.

Hi @Allstar71
We see this pretty often. I am jumping to a conclusion that you are likely new running RC cars at speeds this high?

The current gearing you have is for speeds of 90 to 105 mph.
This sort of gearing is only good for about 2 passes in cold weather, after-which needs a cool down period. This sort of gearing will pull high amps, generate tons of heat, and suck the batteries down very fast!

If you plan is to run for long periods without overheating you need to change up the gearing significantly.

My recommendation would be to get the optional 39T spur and install a 20T pinion.

You can also install a Center Differential that allows more options with switching out Spur and Pinion gears.
That is another great option.
FYI for @Allstar71 the center diff comes in 46t or 50t options.
You could grab one from any 6s model or the infraction.

Hi @Allstar71
We see this pretty often. I am jumping to a conclusion that you are likely new running RC cars at speeds this high?

The current gearing you have is for speeds of 90 to 105 mph.

My recommendation would be to get the optional 39T spur and install a 20T pinion.

Thank you guys!! yes, very new to on road. I have had many rc over the years but this is first capable of real speed. I will likely get a couple options to have on hand.

How are you calculating the speed by the gearing?

I just put this setup in my infraction 18p/46s. I have not ran it yet. I want to keep temps low I hope it works out I don’t want to gear lower
I will keep you posted

I just put this setup in my infraction 18p/46s. I have not ran it yet. I want to keep temps low I hope it works out I don’t want to gear lower
I will keep you posted
That is the stock gearing for the Infraction out of the box, that said I found it ran it hot and usually ESC shut down due to temps. I have found going a 20t Pinion and 50T Spur is a very good sweet spot. Decent top speed, can still hit about 52-55mph tops, good acceleration if you do some lil fun track racing, best of all, way lower temps all around!

That is the stock gearing for the Infraction out of the box, that said I found it ran it hot and usually ESC shut down due to temps. I have found going a 20t Pinion and 50T Spur is a very good sweet spot. Decent top speed, can still hit about 52-55mph tops, good acceleration if you do some lil fun track racing, best of all, way lower temps all around!
I might have to change mine if it helps keep temps down.

Thank you guys!! yes, very new to on road. I have had many rc over the years but this is first capable of real speed. I will likely get a couple options to have on hand.

How are you calculating the speed by the gearing?
I use the Bolo speed calculator. It is a PC based excel app, but there are plenty of others out there. I take the speed it outputs and multiply by 0.8 since in the real world we have gravity, friction, and electrical efficiency issues reducing total speed.

Just wanted to update this thread! Thank you guys for all your help!
I purchased several gearing options and still working through them. I have been chasing speed now!
Speed measured with Iphone X gps
Again my setup is: Monster Mamba X with a 1515 sensorless 2200K SMC Batteries running at 6s link below

18P/50S = 64 mph and the most "Bashable". Motor ran well did not shut down.
22P/50S = 73 mph and would bash some but would thermal shut down after hard "Bashing" drifting ect.
22P/39S = 87 mph basically only for speed runs. (Front Aero Removed)
27P/39S = 94 mph After changing to Castle XLX. (Front Aero back installed)
27P/34S = 100!! All aero removed even the wing. Only left the uprights in place.

Last edited:
OK so I have hit a wall with the Monster Mamba X. The motor seems cool so I would like to start with an ESC only if possible. Looking for recommendations. I would like to get to 100 as a goal.

Looking at the following but please add any that I should consider:
Hobbywing XR8 Plus
Hobbywing Max6

It overheats before I get through 1 run with the higher gearing. motor feels warm but not hot. probably going to move it over to my V2 Talion.

MM2 or XLX
^^ This. ;)
Speed measured with Iphone X gps
FYI if you really want to measure your speed accurately you really need to ditch the mobile and get a proper GPS speed meter.
The Iphone like most other mobile phones only has a GPS refresh rate of 1Hz which means it only updates once per second.

The more accurate dedicated GPS speed meters have a refresh rate of 10Hz. Have a look at Dynamite, Sky RC GSM-015 and the Garmin Forerunner 201/301 if you decide to get a proper speed meter. (y)

Last edited:
Got the XLX installed and ran in the wet today... got to 95mph on 27P/39S. Ran 27p/34s but couldnt get higher than 88 I cant tell if it is because of the wet or motor is maxed. Really starting to get addicted to the speed. I am quickly outgrowing my running area. I have around 1000ft of straight with no neighbors.

I am thinking of doing a larger motor. what would you guys recommend? I want to keep it in the stock configuration. I am thinking Castle 1717? but as always I am open to any suggestions from you guys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back