Big Rock Havoc's Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been sitting out of commission all week for no reason. I don't know why I didn't swap my good front u-joint to the rear and lock my center diff sooner.

Now I'm back to covering myself in mud haha
IMG_20161125_115342.jpg
IMG_20161125_115217.jpg

Got my 3.8 badlands for the Fazon.....Last minute decision as I have the Big Rock set on it and its driving so wonderfully I decided to throw them on the senton.....I feel like I have a new truck!!

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 55
Sorry to hear you had initial issues also. As you know I was in a similar situation. And my rear diff servo went out yesterday. Took the diff apart to see what's up. It seems stripped out and it's too small and weird for me to peepee around seeing if I can clean up the gears and go from there so I just took the rear diff servo out. I never lock the rear anyway. Sending it back to arrma also. Any issues with your rod ends or anything suspension related? What's your suspension feel like on the big rock?

Sorry to hear you had initial issues also. As you know I was in a similar situation. And my rear diff servo went out yesterday. Took the diff apart to see what's up. It seems stripped out and it's too small and weird for me to peepee around seeing if I can clean up the gears and go from there so I just took the rear diff servo out. I never lock the rear anyway. Sending it back to arrma also. Any issues with your rod ends or anything suspension related? What's your suspension feel like on the big rock?

I was missing my 4wd on a speed run. on a transition from concrete to blacktop, the rear end kicked out and I found the nearest curb immediately. this was my first real self inflicted breakage, as well as my first rod end.
IMG_20161125_180833.jpg

As far as the suspension goes, it's the same as the other neros, same springs even... just different factory preloads.

I'm looking forward to getting to wrenching this week. I've got the new steering servo here Monday, as well as my Arrma care package with the new U-joint, front diff servo, and tires.

I'm going to fix it back to bone stock and take some videos. then record my upgrades and document the improvements.
I've got:
Steering servo upgrade
Diff oil swaps (I'm going to try 60k all 3, and possibly 100k center and then 100k center/rear)
Sealed bearings upgrade
Shock tuning with potential dual rate springs (not sure how that's going to go)

As well as touching on rod ends and shock posts as the issues arrive.

Plus I've got my own adjustable rocker design in mind. I really want to focus on articulation and crawling (within sensorless means)

I am also ditching the floureon 8000mah packs in favor of turnigy 6000's. they'll fit the battery boxes, plus I can't seem to get through a full 8000mah pack without breaking something.

Very surprised to see stock DBoots do that - although after ripping countless prolines like a fool - I reglue EVERYTHING. Like Geico - Its what I do - reglued the set that came with the Fazon although my favorite set are the BigRock sets - Im using them on the Fazon - threw on all the usual bumpers, wheelie bar, dirt guards.....

Attachments

• IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 55
Curious about the diff oil. How'd you fill the diff with oil? Even with the little red rubber plug in the diff housing its not water tight. I thought it would only work with grease? Sorry you threw a rod, but hey at least it was an RC car where "throwing a rod" is a lot cheaper to fix than a real car. The team associated ones have been great for me, but tomorrows session will be the first major test. I'm still trying to find my favorite sweet spot in the suspension. So far it's innermost slot, no preload front and about 1/5 - 1/4 worth of preload rear.

My Nero and fazon are both innermost in the rear and preloads all the way back - and about 3/4 in the front.. My Kraton has Nero shocks up front and my Nero has the Big Rock shocks with the HD ends.

Very surprised to see stock DBoots do that - although after ripping countless prolines like a fool - I reglue EVERYTHING. Like Geico - Its what I do - reglued the set that came with the Fazon although my favorite set are the BigRock sets - Im using them on the Fazon - threw on all the usual bumpers, wheelie bar, dirt guards.....

I was suprised it ripped too. It happened so fast. seriously, it was fine one second, I punched the throttle and it popped.

Curious about the diff oil. How'd you fill the diff with oil? Even with the little red rubber plug in the diff housing its not water tight. I thought it would only work with grease? Sorry you threw a rod, but hey at least it was an RC car where "throwing a rod" is a lot cheaper to fix than a real car. The team associated ones have been great for me, but tomorrows session will be the first major test. I'm still trying to find my favorite sweet spot in the suspension. So far it's innermost slot, no preload front and about 1/5 - 1/4 worth of preload rear.

I'll cross the diff oil bridge when I get there. I'll be recording the process, so I'll share my experience as it happens.

As for the rod end, I expected it to happen while jumping, but to be fair this hit was super hard. hard enough to explode the wheel bearings (and the hub)... It was getting dark, but I knew I messed up when the first thing I seen was the wheel rolling away from the crash site. haha.

I have been stocking up on parts. In my growing inventory I already had the associated ends and the rear hub in stock. the bearings were completely unexpected.

20161128_092128.jpg

I'm getting closer to wrench time!
My servo is in, as well as the aluminum servo arm. I also picked up an integy wheel nut wrench. I borrowed one at the LHS and it was pretty nice so I picked one up. the factory 4 way was gouging the inside of my wheels where the "17" was embossed on it.

And since I'm starting my RC life over from scratch, I picked up some grease and loctite, as well as a cleaning brush and brake clean. gotta keep things tidy!

Just got a call from LHS - I need a new rear diff - Can anyone provide me a link to buy one? I looked at the exploded view and it lists all the parts separately and I just need to buy a whole one...

Thanks for any help!

Arrma sent me all the HD parts on Friday. Very cool people. Too bad it's in the shop broken already. Kill me slowly. Lol.

Havok - your pics made me jump on eBay. The bigrock shell is on the way boss.

I can be cool / fazon or tuff n rugged with the big rock. I really got it because Oliver loves it.

Just got a call from LHS - I need a new rear diff - Can anyone provide me a link to buy one? I looked at the exploded view and it lists all the parts separately and I just need to buy a whole one...

Thanks for any help!

Not to sound like a peepee, but search ebay first. odds are you'll find what you're looking for in the same amount of time it takes to make a post. then you don't have to wait around for someone else to do it for you.

I'll show you in 4 easy steps lol

IMG_20161128_121604.jpg

With the age of your Fazon, it might be worth calling Arrma and see if they'll warranty anything.

This is why I wish more lhs stocked arrma stuff. I like to buy stuff locally for my rcs even though no lhs can compete against the prices of eBay or Amazon. Some big ticket items I'll always go to eBay or Amazon for because something that's $100 on eBay will be $125 at a lhs. I just wish little things could be bought locally. I get it though - Traxxas owns the vast majority of the hobby market and if you're a lhs struggling to survive in 2016 you have to sell what will actually be bought.

This is why I wish more lhs stocked arrma stuff. I like to buy stuff locally for my rcs even though no lhs can compete against the prices of eBay or Amazon. Some big ticket items I'll always go to eBay or Amazon for because something that's $100 on eBay will be $125 at a lhs. I just wish little things could be bought locally. I get it though - Traxxas owns the vast majority of the hobby market and if you're a lhs struggling to survive in 2016 you have to sell what will actually be bought.
Exactly. that's why I've been stocking my own parts based on what I've seen others break. I wish I could buy parts local. i have to be my own LHS in a way.

Not to sound like a peepee, but search ebay first. odds are you'll find what you're looking for in the same amount of time it takes to make a post. then you don't have to wait around for someone else to do it for you.

I'll show you in 4 easy steps lol

View attachment 4003

With the age of your Fazon, it might be worth calling Arrma and see if they'll warranty anything.
Turns out the diff is fine. One of the pins came out of the UJs. That's it. Big relief.

I got some quality wrench time in today, as well as ran through my first set of packs without incident! pretty pumped.

In my wrench time today, I popped on an associated rod end, replaced my front diff lock servo, replaced the diff bearings with sealed ones, filled the diffs with 60k oil all around (definitely made a big difference) swapped the 17t pinion in (not by choice, the stock one was all chewed up) and tossed in the new servo.

20161128_231239.jpg

20161129_123729.jpg

The servo is definitely snappy. I have to tighten the servo saver even more, but it's night and day

Dipping my toes back into RC videos, here is my first (of hopefully many) in a LOOONG time. also my first backflips!

Awesome Havok!!!!!

I got some quality wrench time in today, as well as ran through my first set of packs without incident! pretty pumped.

In my wrench time today, I popped on an associated rod end, replaced my front diff lock servo, replaced the diff bearings with sealed ones, filled the diffs with 60k oil all around (definitely made a big difference) swapped the 17t pinion in (not by choice, the stock one was all chewed up) and tossed in the new servo.

View attachment 4049
View attachment 4051

The servo is definitely snappy. I have to tighten the servo saver even more, but it's night and day
That servo is incredible. 600+ oz/in? how much was it? link?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back