Big Rock Havoc's Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plastic retainer is ok in this situation. I would like to see metal also, but it's not the retainers fault. I think it's just the floating pin design, and the strength of that pin. or the fact this truck is an overpowered tank.
Duuuude - crazy but those grub pins were breaking in the fazon - I took two from my nero and ordered up 6 more. My rear axle of the Fazon is now HD and what a difference when you see them side by side (12mm vs 14mm)

Sorry to see that tire explode - I believe it hit a sharp rock digging in there.

Duuuude - crazy but those grub pins were breaking in the fazon - I took two from my nero and ordered up 6 more. My rear axle of the Fazon is now HD and what a difference when you see them side by side (12mm vs 14mm)

Sorry to see that tire explode - I believe it hit a sharp rock digging in there.
Yeah, looked like it hit something. The ballooning was really minimal in that video, and you definitely seem to have great control of the truck. I gotta say, that was pretty sweet seeing the foam ejected like that. Not very often you get a POV shot of the chaos of a failure!

Yeah, looked like it hit something. The ballooning was really minimal in that video, and you definitely seem to have great control of the truck. I gotta say, that was pretty sweet seeing the foam ejected like that. Not very often you get a POV shot of the chaos of a failure!
I got a set of Big Rocks and they have been on the Fazon since day one. No issues at all - but I glue all sets assembled or unassembled.

I checked the tape lol. I didn't notice hitting anything that would have "popped" the tire. In this video you can clearly see when the camera starts shaking violently that the foam is about to evacuate.

I got a set of Big Rocks and they have been on the Fazon since day one. No issues at all - but I glue all sets assembled or unassembled.
The glue didn't fail on this tire. It just ripped right in the middle of the tire. I have 2 of them that failed like this. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Ok, so I did some reading up last night on tires, and things have changed since my last stint in RC. Not so much the tires themselves, but what people are doing with them.

I've seen taping pop up here and there, and I'm going to give it a shot. I was hesitant since my tires are pre mounted.

I found out people are now venting their tires, and not so much their rims.

I dug into balancing tires. I have my broken u-joint to use as a spindle to mount the wheels in a set of bearings.

I also learned about baking tires to get the glue loose.

My ties are shot, plain and simple. I ordered a set of badlands mx38s, but I have a feeling I'm going to run into these same problems with those...

So, I'm doing a trial run. I have my old wheels in the oven right now at 325°f. when they're done, I'm going to see if they come off the wheel, then glue up any tears, tape them, punch them, plug the wheel vent, and balance them. Maybe then I'll be able to hit full throttle (probably not) haha.
20161205_103659.jpg

Hey guys, I'm new to this Arrma Forum but after reading the post on the Nero Big Rock I had to join. I just recently received my Big Rock two days ago and I just fell in love with it. I also ordered some SRC Wheels/Tires for some high speed runs. I not what you would call a hard core basher but I adding upgrades and running them on tarmac more than off road. I also have the Arrma Typhon V1 and have modified it for the 100mph speed run. I love that Typhon its a great quality buddy. Just wanted to join you guys because I will be running my Big Rock here soon and will give you my opinion.

Hey guys, I'm new to this Arrma Forum but after reading the post on the Nero Big Rock I had to join. I just recently received my Big Rock two days ago and I just fell in love with it. I also ordered some SRC Wheels/Tires for some high speed runs. I not what you would call a hard core basher but I adding upgrades and running them on tarmac more than off road. I also have the Arrma Typhon V1 and have modified it for the 100mph speed run. I love that Typhon its a great quality buddy. Just wanted to join you guys because I will be running my Big Rock here soon and will give you my opinion.
Welcome! Loads of great information and people on this forum. I've joined many in the past and this one is far and away the best!

Just an update.
The oven trick worked really well to get the tires off!
I taped, reglued, and balanced the old wheels and WOW what a difference. Balooning was gone, stability increased, and I finally got to do my speed runs. I now have 2 back to back full runs under my belt with no incident.

So I have a couple more upgrades to do. I have to bake, tape glue and balance my new set of tires. I'm certain these will lead to breakage, the Badlands Mx38s look serious.

20161215_081907.jpg

(Stock Big Rock on the left)

I also picked up the Hot Racing treatment. front/rear hubs and rockers. Hopefully I'll get it all together for next week.

Whelp those badlands were short lived... as in they never made it out of the oven. ugh.
Before
20161215_085459.jpg

After.

20161215_150722.jpg

Yes those glowing spots are on fire, and that is all 4 tires.

It's my own lapse in judgement today that caused this expensive debacle. I got the oven up to temp, put the wheels in, and set it on warm. I really needed something like a pan or foil to keep them from the direct heat. I did move them further away from the element than pictured above but that didn't matter.

I guess you can't live and learn without actually making the mistakes.

Ok, so I did some reading up last night on tires, and things have changed since my last stint in RC. Not so much the tires themselves, but what people are doing with them.

I've seen taping pop up here and there, and I'm going to give it a shot. I was hesitant since my tires are pre mounted.

I dug into balancing tires. I have my broken u-joint to use as a spindle to mount the wheels in a set of bearings.

My ties are shot, plain and simple. I ordered a set of badlands mx38s, but I have a feeling I'm going to run into these same problems with those...

So, I'm doing a trial run. I have my old wheels in the oven right now at 325°f. when they're done, I'm going to see if they come off the wheel, then glue up any tears, tape them, punch them, plug the wheel vent, and balance them. Maybe then I'll be able to hit full throttle (probably not) haha.
View attachment 4176

View attachment 4176

On the topic of taping and glueing pre mounted tires I have a solution that I have tried and used for a couple runs now. It may not be perfect but it has worked thus far. I used some heavy duty fishing line, like 65lb line, wrapped it around the tires about 3 times. Then I connected the line ends with some small aluminum links made for metal cable. The links can sometimes stick out, but its only in 2 spots as I tried to make the links on either side, one on tip, other on bottom.

I have a close up but the damn thing won't upload, sorry.

That sucks about the badlands dude. Were those the mx38? They look impressive. Did look impressive. Lol

Attachments

• 20161120_134851.jpg
    20161120_134851.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20161025_155436.jpg
    20161025_155436.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 55
On the topic of taping and glueing pre mounted tires I have a solution that I have tried and used for a couple runs now. It may not be perfect but it has worked thus far. I used some heavy duty fishing line, like 65lb line, wrapped it around the tires about 3 times. Then I connected the line ends with some small aluminum links made for metal cable. The links can sometimes stick out, but its only in 2 spots as I tried to make the links on either side, one on tip, other on bottom.

I have a close up but the damn thing won't upload, sorry.

That sucks about the badlands dude. Were those the mx38? They look impressive. Did look impressive. Lol
I just got my big rock few days ago I ordered a set of badlands

So my first upgrade is on it's way. The sickness is setting in.

I picked up a Blue Bird BLS-H50B
View attachment 3736

http://www.rcmart.com/blue-bird-bls...ss-digital-servo-p-67626.html?cPath=1099_1030
It was a bourbon fueled shopping spree looking for one of the strongest/fastest specd red servos for the money. Red is important, and how I found Arrma in the first place haha. plus the fact it has an O-ring sealed full aluminum case, I should only need to grease up the output shaft for waterproofing.

Here are the specs:
  • Torque At 6.0V: 44.7 kg-cm / 620.8 oz-in
  • Torque At 7.4V: 53.1 kg-cm / 737.6 oz-in
  • Torque At 8.4V: 57.5 kg-cm / 798.7 oz-in
  • Speed At 6.0V: 0.12 sec / 60°
  • Speed At 7.4V: 0.10 sec / 60°
  • Speed At 8.4V: 0.09 sec / 60°
I got one coming...how do you like it?

Apologies! I typed up a reply and must not have hit post.

The bluebird servo was great, but it was not waterproof. I marine greased the gearbox, but foolishly expected the factory O-Ring seals to keep the water out. They did not.

I just picked up a Savox waterproof servo.

I will be posting some updates soon! I got my Badlands MX38's all set up, and have been playing with spring options. I also got a whole box of shock oils to try out as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back