Hawx' Kraton 8S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbhawx

Active Military
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hello all,

I'm starting a thread here to share my Kraton 8S build. I don't plan to do anything extremely crazy, but I want to document what I do with mine and share it with you all.

I plan to stick with spektrum tech for now to utilize the telemetry capabilities. If the power or use of the capabilities is underwhelming I have a max5 combo on standby.

My current setup is stock with a paired Spektrum Rugged radio. I used the spektrum ESC programmer to bump it up to 8.4v and punch to 5. I also disabled AVC. I also run Proline Impulse wheels with their trencher tires.

I have the M2C chassis and motor mount. Spektrum 780Kv motor and 9020 servo. I have the bigger servo box, and 29t spool gear to use as the pinion. I have 20mil and 2.5mil diff fluid on the way, 5mm sway bar for front and rear on backorder. Also have a light kit for it on the way as well.

With the gain in weight I plan to replace the shock fluid with 1000cst instead of 500cst and also order new springs from Arrma rated for 22Ibs/in for the front and rear (they on back order too). That should help it land better without risking bending or breaking the shocks.

I don't plan to do speed records or crazy stuff with it. I just want to get the most out of it and have fun doing it and having a reliable machine. So far this car has been a tank, and I haven't experienced a bent chassis yet. I did bend the center chassis brace when it hit a concrete slap on the windshield though.

I look forward to your responses and your thoughts as I share my experience with you all.

Here’s a video of my Kraton before I upgrade it. Enjoy...

Wow @jbhawx, I like your style of driving. Big heavy monster just getting tossed around like it was a tenth scale toy. Definitely a no fear mentality, especially drag racing a 1:1 car. Proper bashing even for a big fifth scale truck. Looking forward to what's to come???

Wow @jbhawx, I like your style of driving. Big heavy monster just getting tossed around like it was a tenth scale toy. Definitely a no fear mentality, especially drag racing a 1:1 car. Proper bashing even for a big fifth scale truck. Looking forward to what's to come???

Greatly appreciate it. That's really my intent, to be able to drive and toss it around like a tenth scale.

Last edited:
The fun begins.
All my new parts
357FD5D2-4421-4F07-B9E1-E3DC4167438B.jpeg

Taking apart the Kraton is cake. I thought my DB Pro was easy. The Kraton is even easier. As a tip, I learned the quickest way to remove the front and rear off the chassis is to remove the front and rear skid plates first.
234FEE1E-A2CE-45E2-9B1F-ECCFEB23120D.jpeg

The chassis is 4mm thick for those wondering.
8FD7629B-6DE3-4D4B-BAEA-51E2BA10D576.jpeg

Started with the new servo. Box is ready. Need a shorter screw first to install the servo saver.

80B3F9F8-DEB2-46E9-94DC-A842DC24F9CD.jpeg

BTW the screws that hold the servo on are beefy as hell. The screws that came with the 9020 are tiny in comparison. Arrma no joke designed this thing to hold some seriously beefy gear in place.

So I stripped a screw on the stock motor mount, and it took a special pair of pliers to remove it, and it worked....

56616499-AE25-496C-B35B-BF0451CEC71A.jpeg

the set screw was a total pain. Had to pry off the pinion gear and take “extreme” measures to remove the set screw...

2EB2BB38-D9D8-4ED4-9508-C12546097687.jpeg

Arrma’s use of lock time is awesome ?

the set screw was a total pain. Had to pry off the pinion gear and take “extreme” measures to remove the set screw...

2EB2BB38-D9D8-4ED4-9508-C12546097687.jpeg

Arrma’s use of lock time is awesome ?
The picture looks great, though :D
My set screw came off kinda easily, but the pinion wouldn't budge because of the threadlock all over the shaft. Had to heat up the pinion while still on the motor, but torching wasn't necessary, luckily...

Looking forward to seeing your finished build, you've got some sexy components lying around :D

Last edited:
This eBay seller has a lot of options for cheap so you can try multiple out....
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/usr/integra9006hid

Thank you!

I had the same issue with the pinion on my Typhon. Threadlock wasn’t the issue but the press fit was ridiculous. It supposed to be a running/slip fit. I had to use a screwdriver to pry it off. Would have been nice to have a puller.

These delays are driving me insane. I had theee screws break the heads off in the center diff... living in Okinawa means 2 weeks minimum for parts to get here.

In the mean time installed my light kit as it finally came in.
2AF1E901-066C-4200-83A9-709A353BFFDD.jpeg

0F36683D-A1DC-4226-AEE5-30C5CFFBB4C3.jpeg

4A8C5C6F-A1E6-4529-A4FC-76B5562D674F.jpeg

Also wanted to see if it fits, tried out a 39t pinion on the M2C motor mount. It fits, but uses 2 screws instead lol.
C05AD051-0BF6-47B0-A98C-A90652CB5247.jpeg

FF1E7024-8F14-4760-982F-9A4CB13B480C.jpeg
FF7AE1A0-9DD9-4A05-8BD9-DA242F51509E.jpeg

For giggles I put the motor mount on upside down and can get all 4 screw holes visible. However; the can sits way to low for it to fit properly in the car.

Last edited:
After a long wait due to living overseas. I finally got my center diff and everything installed...
906FC909-C795-4E2E-9971-7D11847D24A3.jpeg

72423BA6-216E-4720-B2D8-F4D8DF764143.jpeg

I know someone will gasp over having a total of 2 screws holding the slide in. It honestly is a tight fit and doesn’t budge at all.

Ran it for the first time with the 39t...WTF it hauls serious a$$. I’m still working on getting video. I had to change the punch to 4 from 5 and she still does wheelies like she was born for it. It has serious speed, as I ran out of room on my road.

On jumps, she just has a ton of power. First jump and my jaw dropped. She went way higher than previously. Flips crazy easy both front and back. I swear I can pull a double on my hills at home. Landed great except for having to relearn the timing to plant her on all fours. Tons of rolls and cartwheels landing and she kept going.

I think 39t is the Max I’ll go. 20mil in the center diff made a huge difference with the trenchers too. I still need to get a speed run but I’m sure she’s fast enough. I’m very pleased with the Spektrum 780Kv. The built in telemetry was excellent and I never hit over 120 degrees. Still have the cooling fan from castle on the way, and the fast lane motor mount. Other than that, very very happy with the upgrades.

I think 39t is the Max I’ll go. 20mil in the center diff made a huge difference with the trenchers too. I still need to get a speed run but I’m sure she’s fast enough.
That 780kv spektrum is looking good in that rig :D
Did you up the weight of the diff oil in front and rear too, or just the center?

That 780kv spektrum is looking good in that rig :D
Did you up the weight of the diff oil in front and rear too, or just the center?

Just the center for now. I’ll run a few full packs and see how she handles before I change the front and rear. It doesn’t appear to need to be upped at the moment

Just the center for now. I’ll run a few full packs and see how she handles before I change the front and rear. It doesn’t appear to need to be upped at the moment
The K8S doesn't turn on a dime due to the stock servo and the way the servo saver works. Upping the front and rear fluids will only make it worse. I suggest leaving those alone, other than making sure there is enough fluid in there ???

Here she is on her first run last night. A bunch of tumbles, so obviously there is a learning to throttle and control in the air again... I did manage to break a rear lower arm after a really terrible landing, so I don’t attribute it to the car itself, more as my fault.

For those wondering how well the lights work, your in luck. It was getting dark, so you’ll get to see how bright they are.

Enjoy...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back