Headed to the Hobby Shop (need advice)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
Hello everyone! Well, after reading a bunch of threads regarding this truck, drooling over it and as many videos as I could find I think I am going to pull the trigger on my second Arrma!

The K8S EXB 1/5 Scale Roller. It will also be my very first 'build out' as well. I was coming on here though to post a quick thread to ask if anyone has any advice, warnings, precautions tips or anything in regards specifically to this vehicle and my investment. As you all know, this will end up being a $$$$$ situation.

I have basically zero experience doing a build out and the only information I have put together for what electronics/transmitter etc to go with is just from other peoples comments/advice from threads I have read.

Not only do I intend on purchasing the roller today, if possible I may end up with (hopefully) a motor/esc and servo in the package as well. Really just looking for this whole experience to essentially (not) bite me in the A** with costly mistakes.

The only other options I've considered is basically another RTR, Kraton or Outcast etc. However nothing seems to excite me like the idea of the 1/5 scale EXB.

I'll be reading anything you guys offer on my way down to the hobby shop (2 hour drive) before I get there and swipe my card.

Appreciate it, thank you all so much in advance!

-Josh

Hello everyone! Well, after reading a bunch of threads regarding this truck, drooling over it and as many videos as I could find I think I am going to pull the trigger on my second Arrma!

The K8S EXB 1/5 Scale Roller. It will also be my very first 'build out' as well. I was coming on here though to post a quick thread to ask if anyone has any advice, warnings, precautions tips or anything in regards specifically to this vehicle and my investment. As you all know, this will end up being a $$$$$ situation.

I have basically zero experience doing a build out and the only information I have put together for what electronics/transmitter etc to go with is just from other peoples comments/advice from threads I have read.

Not only do I intend on purchasing the roller today, if possible I may end up with (hopefully) a motor/esc and servo in the package as well. Really just looking for this whole experience to essentially (not) bite me in the A** with costly mistakes.

The only other options I've considered is basically another RTR, Kraton or Outcast etc. However nothing seems to excite me like the idea of the 1/5 scale EXB.

I'll be reading anything you guys offer on my way down to the hobby shop (2 hour drive) before I get there and swipe my card.

-Josh

First Welcome!

Good luck on a buy. Looks like you really want 1/5 8S...tend to feel Kraton 6S or in that range will save you in parts and breakage... it is heavy.

There are lots of tips and suggestions here...on whatever you buy but I feel you gonna get what you want. This is cool...you will learn as you go.

Enjoy!

I just got my kraton 8s maybe 2 weeks ago and I have about 4 packs through it so far. It's nice but I don't know if I would have liked it as my first rig. If you want to jump right in with the big boy then go for it though. I'd suggest picking up some spare A arms and hinge pins though.

I don't own 5th scale rigs but feel 6S is the sweet spot, power to weight ratio is perfect and enough speed to do anything you want.

I’m putting mine together right now. Xlx2/1100 with a raminator servo and a bunch of m2c goodies. I would definitely go with a Max5 or Xlx2 right from the get go and skip the spectrum stuff a lot of people tend to do first. Put it together with what you think you need, go have fun and upgrade from there. Seems the best “cheap servo” is the one from Primal RC which won’t be available again until April. I’m using a dumbo x6 on my 1/7 Outcast build and a Radiolink RC6GS (delivers tomorrow) on the Kraton 8s EXB build. So far I like the dumbo but I dislike that you can’t set endpoints with it, which is why I decided to try the Radiolink on this build.

running max 5 800kv 56113 in both my outcast and dads kraton and it's beastly. Blows me away Everytime we take them out. Absolutely do not put spectrum stuff in, it will be the costly mistake you speak of, just toss in a castle combo or a hobbywing combo without a doubt. We run 34/39 gearing. I have big fans on motor and esc running on a 3s battery and everything stays very happy

The 8s line is a ton of fun and really is a whole different beast from the smaller siblings. I think you will be quite happy with it when you get it up and going! I’ve only got the Spektrum setup in my EXB I picked up cheap off someone changing out an RTR and it is a blast.

Alright well I've finally got the new rig unboxed and all I can say is WOW. Like I knew this was expected to be a 'big' truck, but umm... yeah every time I look at it the pictures and videos online do NO justice to what the SIZE of this thing is! Sure it's heavy as many say but respectively for its size and the weight seems quite balanced as it sits. Build quality and everything I've seen thus far as a roller is definitely superb. The suspension is just stupid plush and smooth.

I have been scrambling with as much research as I can to make the choice on my electronics though and I would love to hear any opinions on the choices I intend on making from you guys.

ESC/Motor - Castle XLX2 1100KV
Radio/Receiver - Spectrum DX5 Pro (and still looking around)
Servo - Spectrum https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...-gear-servo-high-voltage-spmss9110bl/p1217593
(I'd like a Primal as been suggested but also mentioned it isn't available)

Appreciate any input!!!!

Here's a shot of the new beast with the Losi Mini T LOL

Thanks!

kraton.jpg

-Josh
I was in the same situation..... checkout my build thread (K8 EXB is my first build)...... will offer any help I can, recommending stuff and help with build

THE THING IS A MAXIMUM BEAST, ISNT IT !!!!

I went Hobbywing Max5 1100KV. The steering/power module can be a bit of an experience/headscratcher BUT DOABLE !!!

IF I COULD DO IT, YOU CAN TOO !!!!

GO FOR IT !!! Let us know how it goes and what you get ...... and don't forget to start a BUILD THREAD !!!!

I don't own 5th scale rigs but feel 6S is the sweet spot, power to weight ratio is perfect and enough speed to do anything you want.
This is true..... 6S rigs are extremely well balanced...... but some of us, myself included, just CANT HELP IT !! ;):devilish::cool:

Screenshot_20220219-175351_Gallery.jpg

Make sure you buy those spares. I just took mine out today and I busted a front a arm and bent front dog bone just by hitting the ramp normally lol. I honestly couldn't believe it, my wheel was dangling before the truck even landed and it still landed perfectly with the a arm flappin haha. People aren't lying when they say those A arms suck. Glad I bought a set when I ordered the truck.

Last edited:
View attachment 201298
Make sure you buy those spares. I just took mine out today and I busted a front a arm and bent front dog bone just by hitting the ramp normally lol. I honestly couldn't believe it, my wheel was dangling before the truck even landed and it still landed perfectly with the a arm flappin haha. People aren't lying when they say those A arms suck. Glad I bought a set when I ordered the truck.
Worth it at all to try Aluminum arms for it then? I'm trying to get everything I need for the build itself plus anything extra (spare parts, motor fans, chassis bash bar etc)

I hear aluminum is bad news as it breaks everything else in a bad landing, I just took everyone's advice and never tried them.. RPM arms seem great but do not have droop screw holes. Anyone try boiling the stock arms? Does that work? (How long, how hot?) :)

As for the ESC and motor, cant go wrong with Hobbywing, I have also heard of a lot of fires with the XLX2.

^^^^ right!!!

When the user adds the electronics and those heavy batteries and it is fully done and IF they add those heavier arms, etc. weight and damage comes in. Great RC but weight and how one bash could become an issue.

You will need a membership at you local Gym. Get into physical shape there.:LOL:
The 1/5 rigs weigh in at 30+ pounds. Very heavy. So don't hit anyone or anything with it.
Once you get familiar with it, you will understand better. Need a cart or a tow strap to haul it around when it has no more power or it breaks.
And it will break. All RC's do.

Worth it at all to try Aluminum arms for it then? I'm trying to get everything I need for the build itself plus anything extra (spare parts, motor fans, chassis bash bar etc)
Yea I think RPM arms might be the best bet, I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm going to get a pair since I now don't have a spare after today haha. Tbh if I could get that bash bar for like 50$ shipped which is what it should cost i'd buy it.
You will need a membership at you local Gym. Get into physical shape there.:LOL:
The 1/5 rigs weigh in at 30+ pounds. Very heavy. So don't hit anyone or anything with it.
Once you get familiar with it, you will understand better. Need a cart or a tow strap to haul it around when it has no more power or it breaks.
And it will break. All RC's do.
You know it's crazy when it makes the 1/8th kraton feel light as a feather.

Last edited:
Just a little insight on my personal bashing situation to help clear up my lack of concern with the "having to lug it around when it dies"... I only ever intend on taking it out to wide open California desert in my Jeep for bashing. If if breaks/dies I'll just drive my jeep right to it and leave. Hahaha so no worries with that aspect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back