Kraton Heat issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Senton 6s
For your understanding, I build my own chassis 50mm longer 5mm thick and used the old chassis to make sure my holes will fit.

I ran it today on gras, which was about 8cm high. I noticed that my esc and motor got warm til hot in short time. I expected that, thanks to the weight of the chassis etc.

What I'm concerned about is the fact that my dogbones and my output shafts got hot too.
I never looked after them before, as the chassis was original. But for some reason I looked after them today, because they don't have the same play as originally. Meaning that u can't move them for 2 mm or so. There's just a bit of play, max 1mm.. I think it's less.

Is heat at the dogbone and the output shaft of the front, rear and center diff normal?

Kraton v1, front and rear standard diff oil as delivered, center got 500k in it.

I'm aware of that. Motor and esc heat coused by gras, 16t pinion and a lot of weight. I knew that would happen. I was just wondering if the dogbones may sit to tight, which couses the heat at this point. I've got no reference, since I've never looked after them...

Last edited:
I haven't really heard of the dogbones themselves getting hot. Though, if that is what's happening, I would suspect the lesser play would be the cause of it. Usually a good a mount of play within the dogbones and the outdrives they sit in... You could set a point of reference on the outdrives with a marker dot on each, right in the middle of the outdrives. Measure that out and then try and look for some dogbones within those measurement specs. (y) ?

I checked this on mine over last couple runs, no heat on dogbones or input gear. Something is too tight.
You need some play on the shafts and plenty of play on the dogbones.
Or a bad bearing that transfers heat via drive cup ??‍♂️

I haven't really heard of the dogbones themselves getting hot. Though, if that is what's happening, I would suspect the lesser play would be the cause of it. Usually a good a mount of play within the dogbones and the outdrives they sit in... You could set a point of reference on the outdrives with a marker dot on each, right in the middle of the outdrives. Measure that out and then try and look for some dogbones within those measurement specs. (y) ?
Or a bad bearing that transfers heat via drive cup ??‍♂️
I now shifted the complete motormount and center diff mount 5mm up, so that the the dogbones are in an other angle, which lead to more play. And through the longer diagonally way between the shafts, the dogbones now have plenty more play than before.

The bearings seemed OK, and I don't think or hope that all 4 broke at the same time.
Thanks for the help guys!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back