Heat shrink vs plastic end caps for XT90s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmadman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Hi, I think I'm going to convert all my RC stuff to xt90, have a lot of deans (which will melt at high voltage), and so want a change.

I have seen a lot of people using both heat shrink as well as end caps, what do you recommend?

Also, are xt90s the way forward from deans or is there a better connector?
Thanks

Xt 90's are great, high current low resistance connectors.. the new ic5's are really nice as well... all the new arrma stuff comes through as ic5 now so if you have plans to buy more blx arrmas I'd go that route...

You can use heat shrink if you want.. it's not needed but it's up to you... the plus side of it is if something goes wrong and the solder melts there is a good chance the heat shrink will prevent shorts from one wire to the other..

I personally just use heat shrink as its readily available for me, never tried the end caps but I’ve never had problems with just good old heat shrink? EC5 is good connector also. GOOD Move getting away from the Deans!

Xt 90's are great, high current low resistance connectors.. the new ic5's are really nice as well... all the new arrma stuff comes through as ic5 now so if you have plans to buy more blx arrmas I'd go that route...

You can use heat shrink if you want.. it's not needed but it's up to you... the plus side of it is if something goes wrong and the solder melts there is a good chance the heat shrink will prevent shorts from one wire to the other..
I personally just use heat shrink as its readily available for me, never tried the end caps but I’ve never had problems with just good old heat shrink? EC5 is good connector also. GOOD Move getting away from the Deans!
The Amass ones come with the plastic caps. They are the best xt90 imo. I still use shrink pipe with those as well.
Seconded, but their are fake vs. real Amass connectors. The real ones have the smaller font
Thanks for all the replies, definitely going to change from deans, and if I do use xt90 (which I most probably will) I'll use heat shrink and caps (if I have any) for extra protection.
One more thing, should I buy any sort of xt90 connector or ones from brands like Amass?

Thanks for all the replies, definitely going to change from deans, and if I do use xt90 (which I most probably will) I'll use heat shrink and caps (if I have any) for extra protection.
One more thing, should I buy any sort of xt90 connector or ones from brands like Amass?
Buy Amass ones on Amazon from Amass

Lots of colour I see :LOL:
I use heat shrink and the end caps on my XT90s. Mainly because I am a bit OCD as well as every time I put an order in at hobbyking I get a couple of meters of heat shrink (about 1/5 the price of local) so I need to use it all up somehow!!!!
Yh sounds like me, will do both for sure (y)

When I redid all my 6S trucks to xt90's, I used heat shrink and the caps for all the packs, but when it came time to do the esc's, I forgot heat shrink on a couple and luckily remembered the caps at least. Can't imagine it hurts to use both, but would at least use the caps. I've noticed the knock off xt90's sometimes don't come with caps. Avoid those.

I run all my 6S trucks with pairs of 3S packs that I keep in the same pairs. Instead of using the xt90S on all of them, I only put one on one pack in each pair, then I make sure to plug that pack in second. I suppose it was only a few $ more to just use the XT90S on all of them, but after buying all the sets of amass xt90's, then getting enough of the XT90S's for half the packs, I was over $50 just for connectors and charger adapters (trx->xt90).

I still haven't converted my 3S trucks and single 3S packs...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back