Kraton Heat sink/fan 4985 advice please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adawg

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
So first off I did read previous posts and gathered the info. Still can’t make up my mind. I pre ordered the Kraton exb and got my hands on the max6 combo with the 4985. So I’ve seen some people use the yeah racing but it’s such a small diameter, does it actually fit good enough that you would buy it again? There is also the single fan hobby wing Setup which is cheap and It’s a little closer to fitting but doesn’t look to nice. Some have mentioned the xmaxx fan but are you guys talking about the stock valineon fan or an after market setup? Any advice? Thanks.

So first off I did read previous posts and gathered the info. Still can’t make up my mind. I pre ordered the Kraton exb and got my hands on the max6 combo with the 4985. So I’ve seen some people use the yeah racing but it’s such a small diameter, does it actually fit good enough that you would buy it again? There is also the single fan hobby wing Setup which is cheap and It’s a little closer to fitting but doesn’t look to nice. Some have mentioned the xmaxx fan but are you guys talking about the stock valineon fan or an after market setup? Any advice? Thanks.
great questions if you figure out a good fan for the Max 6 4985 combo let me know I need one immediately

I think the Kraton 8s heatsink is the right diameter as well. I may go with that setup.

The Firma 1250kv of the K8S is indeed 49mm, but i'd be careful. The Firma is a smooth can, the HW 4985 has cooling ribs. In case of the (apparently) well liked 4092 Rocket and Hobbystar motors, they're not 4092, they're 4292. They're 40mm at the can, but the ribs protrude giving it a diameter of 42mm. I'd be surprised if it fits, considering the fact that so many people are trying to get a fan for it (and there's guys making them custom).

https://www.facebook.com/NTFRacingRC/

That guy makes custom fans/mounts for any motor. Maybe shoot him a message and ask.

Thanks for the tip. That’s some great info about the ribs because I don’t think most people are thinking about that. I’m thinking about the motor size designated by the manufacturer.

Yeah Racing YA-0261 is way too small (made for 40.8mm diameter motors), whereas the 4985 has a 49mm diameter can. I had bought this heat sink fan setup for my Infraction but ditched the factory motor/ESC setup in favor for a Max6/1650kv.

Back to the old drawing board ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Firma 1250kv of the K8S is indeed 49mm, but i'd be careful. The Firma is a smooth can, the HW 4985 has cooling ribs. In case of the (apparently) well liked 4092 Rocket and Hobbystar motors, they're not 4092, they're 4292. They're 40mm at the can, but the ribs protrude giving it a diameter of 42mm. I'd be surprised if it fits, considering the fact that so many people are trying to get a fan for it (and there's guys making them custom).

https://www.facebook.com/NTFRacingRC/

That guy makes custom fans/mounts for any motor. Maybe shoot him a message and ask.

Hobbywing does take count for the cooling ribs..
Their 4274 is 42mm incl cooling ribs, their 4985 is 49mm incl cooling ribs aswell..

Thanks guys. I ordered the hobbywing single fan heatsink. It’s cheap and easy from amazon. It’s 44mm which is closer then most. There are a few people on here that have used them because you can easily stretch them. I’ll report back after I get it with what I think.

I can confirm that the x-maxx heatsink will fit, but in order to continue using the roll cage you will need to do a big of grinding. Haven't found a fan yet.

Thanks guys. I ordered the hobbywing single fan heatsink. It’s cheap and easy from amazon. It’s 44mm which is closer then most. There are a few people on here that have used them because you can easily stretch them. I’ll report back after I get it with what I think.

I thought about that one also. Please let us know how it works. You want it to sit with good motor contact so the heat transfers to the sink and can be cooled by the fan. Too much air gap and I would think it won’t help much. I’m also thinking about using thermal paste on this because of the cooling fins.

Last edited:
@Adawg That Hobbywing heatsink works just fine but you have to bend it into submission. Fairly easy to do but does take some ?. Go in small increments.
You might have to cut some of the fins as well to clear the rollcage. I comes with a 50mm fan which is more than enough. You can bolt on 2x30mm as well.
Cool.jpg

The spectrum is 46mm the hw 49.

Could have sworn I read the specs that the 8s heatsink was 49mm diameter. But I just checked again and you are right, damn was hoping that was a fit.
@Adawg That Hobbywing heatsink works just fine but you have to bend it into submission. Fairly easy to do but does take some ?. Go in small increments.
You might have to cut some of the fins as well to clear the rollcage. I comes with a 50mm fan which is more than enough. You can bolt on 2x30mm as well.View attachment 89072

Thanks for that. Worth trying at their price.

I will definitely update with pics and how it fits and makes contact.

anyone else running this motor with a heatsink and fan setup if you guys could post a picture I think it’s nice for people to see. Since they all need to be modified it’s nice to get a visualization on how it might look after messing with it.

I will definitely update with pics and how it fits and makes contact.

anyone else running this motor with a heatsink and fan setup if you guys could post a picture I think it’s nice for people to see. Since they all need to be modified it’s nice to get a visualization on how it might look after messing with it.

I haven't ran the motor yet as I'm waiting on the exb to run it, but here is the yeah racing heat sink on it. I used the long screws that come with the fans so I could still mount the heat sink after stretching it. don't know if it will work well or not, but seems like it stretched ok. I don't have experience with RCs, so don't take this as expert advice. I have a thermal pad on the way that I may put in between the heat sink and the motor. This was just to see if it would fit.

Also, after stretching the heat sink it can make it more difficult to attach the fans. The flat surface the fans would normally mount to isnt perfectly flat anymore.

Attachments

• 20200711_150344.jpg
    20200711_150344.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 20200711_150330.jpg
    20200711_150330.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 20200711_150319.jpg
    20200711_150319.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Thanks for posting pics!! So this was the setup I wanted to go with and I had heard of people doing it but I couldn’t find any Installed pics. Honestly I think you did a great job it looks like it’s making as good of contact as you could want for how far you gotta stretch it. Good job man! I guess if the hobbywing isn’t to my liking I will go with the yeah racing.

I ordered the Hobbywing heatsink and fan for like $9 on eBay. I’ll post pics once it’s here. May pick up the Yeah Racing as well to compare. I have the Powerhobbies version in my Kaiju and it works well keeping it cool.

Perfect we should have a nice set of pics here. I was also looking at the power hobby. To me it looks identical to the yeah racing and it’s a couple bucks cheaper.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back