Heat sink options for hobbywing 5687

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gookie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
Hi folks,

wondering if someone can recommend heat sink options for the hobbywing 5687 1100kv motor. I’m running it on kraton 8s 28t pinion with stock esc, just done a short run and was a little hotter than I like.

had a look online for some options for heat sinks, but couldn’t really find much.

cheers

There aren’t any I’m aware of. I made my own fan mount to take the edge off. The sky Rc and castle mounts are too long.

Hi folks,

wondering if someone can recommend heat sink options for the hobbywing 5687 1100kv motor. I’m running it on kraton 8s 28t pinion with stock esc, just done a short run and was a little hotter than I like.

had a look online for some options for heat sinks, but couldn’t really find much.

cheers
How hot is it getting? Do you have an IR thermometer?

I don’t think it fits. The motor is too short for the mount and the wires get in the way. You have the 113mm long can and the hw is 87mm. There was a poster on here a few weeks ago that could not get it to work. Maybe some dremel work, idk.
Cheers mate, I was looking at this fan and did wonder if it was a little too big. May have to look to build my own, will research some more tonight.
How hot is it getting? Do you have an IR thermometer?
Didnt have my thermometer on me, but was hot to touch for 1-2secs on a short 5min run in a small space. Will take it to a field for longer runs and take my thermometer in a few days

NTF Racing fans, best method to contact is Facebook, be hard to find better than what Nicholas puts out.

his fans are great but not for bashing. The duel setup on mine fell off the first jump. Plus it drains your batteries very fast. Fans are too heavy for bashing.
ohhh please elaborate

you are not running the car like it should. I was running 29T same setup and my motor temp was 260F. 5687 should be ran with a 24T and nothing more. also depends on your weather. Over 70F you will overheat the motor. Run the car NON STOP full throttle for 5min up and down the road and see what your temps are, You be very surprised. Don't get caught up in superbash or any other youtubers too much. Reason why he changed out his motor to a different one.
This heat sink will fit very nice and tight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-33...2sAAOSwOhxd7mhn:sc:USPSFirstClass!92630!US!-1

OR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Heat...392534?hash=item48b92d3356:g:KxYAAOSwE19dn-FN

You can install a 30MM hyper fans and have a nice cooling system

My setup

Last edited:
his fans are great but not for bashing. The duel setup on mine fell off the first jump. Plus it drains your batteries very fast. Fans are too heavy for bashing.

you are not running the car like it should. I was running 29T same setup and my motor temp was 260F. 5687 should be ran with a 24T and nothing more. also depends on your weather. Over 70F you will overheat the motor. Run the car NON STOP full throttle for 5min up and down the road and see what your temps are, You be very surprised. Don't get caught up in superbash or any other youtubers too much. Reason why he changed out his motor to a different one.

Cheers, it’s probably environmental, setup and configuration differences. I was running at a football field more or less max throttle 75% of the time, but my car is stock everything else, even in esc config (punch 3, timings 0 etc). Not sure if it make much of a difference to the motor, but batteries were 100c... albeit claimed ;)

I like to setup up the car for the best performance and non stop bashing. Yes i can install higher gear but i wont be able to bash non stop or else my motor, esc, wires and battery will overheat and damage something or puff the batteries.

Cheers for the links.

looks like 56113 is your friend and have hear it does run quite cool even with higher ratios. Have notice you’re running mud guards, did u have them with the old 5687? Only reason I ask is by Design they are great to stop junk getting Inside, however the drawback is they also channel airflow away from the engine

Last edited:
I did have them with the 5687 and also with the 56112 980KV. The new motor with a 30T runs between 125-140F and that was in 82 degrees weather. With the mud guards installed you still have a nice size hole up front for air flow.

Get the 980KV and start with 30T and move up or down depending on your weather.

I did have 34T on the 980KV at first and the temps were still good at 160F max but the car was just too fast and brutal so i dropped to 30T.

Does anyone know if the hot racing fan mounting bracket will still work with the old Traxxas xmaxx aluminum heatsink if it's stretched out for a 56mm diameter motor? Because that allows you to properly mount 50mm fans to it, and if that is the case, it might be the best option for the 5687.

This heat sink will fit very nice and tight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-33...2sAAOSwOhxd7mhn:sc:USPSFirstClass!92630!US!-1

OR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Heat...392534?hash=item48b92d3356:g:KxYAAOSwE19dn-FN

You can install a 30MM hyper fans and have a nice cooling system

My setup

I was looking into heatsink for this, but the second link and your video are no longer available. Do you have any images of your setup?

So to decipher….so far the best alternative is the Traxxas heat sink for 56 series motors? Not much alternative for 5687?
Yeah there really isn't, most people I see running any heatsink on 56 series motors run an xmaxx heatsink with NTF fans. The arrma heatsink that comes on the 4685 1250kv spektrum motor might work good as well, but I'm not sure if it would interfere with the the chassis (in arrma 8s vehicles) since it wraps around much further, and the motor being an additional 10mm in diameter would push the bottom of it close. I was hoping when spektrum inevitably rebranded the hobbywing 5687, it would be a smooth can, but they added the fins anyways. The fins are great to have if you're just running a fan, but a dedicated heatsink on a smooth motor will always be superior, much better contact and surface area.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back