Heatsink and fan for castle 2028

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None taken. Depending on the heatsink, mostly. I've seen some that are open where they connect to the motor, as in, the ribs of the heatsink don't connect at the base across the middle, only on the ends. Additionally, if the contact patch between the motor ribs and heatsink is adequately conductive (clean, surface area, materials, etc.) The larger fins of the heatsink may draw out enough heat and dissipate it fast enough that it can make up for the lack of airflow around the can itself. Kind of like "heat pipes" on PC cooling systems.
The HR fan mount I use is a mini heatsink that probably pulls minimal heat out directly, but is open in the inside to allow airflow to hit the can.

As far as heat pipes on a CPU, they make full contact to the CPU. Any air gaps and they fail very quickly. People lap their CPUs to ensure the smoothest and thinnest surface area between the core and the block. This principle almost refutes the idea that static air between the can and heatsink is a good thing. It’s like a thick blanket trapping heat.

🤷🏻‍♂️✌🏻

The HR fan mount I use is a mini heatsink that probably pulls minimal heat out directly, but is open in the inside to allow airflow to hit the can.

As far as heat pipes on a CPU, they make full contact to the CPU. Any air gaps and they fail very quickly. People lap their CPUs to ensure the smoothest and thinnest surface area between the core and the block. This principle almost refutes the idea that static air between the can and heatsink is a good thing. It’s like a thick blanket trapping heat.

🤷🏻‍♂️✌🏻
Kinda missed the point in heat pipes, not about contact with the CPU, about heat transfer to a different heatsink media. In this case the motor ribs would be the heat pipes, and the heatsink the actual media.

Kinda missed the point in heat pipes, not about contact with the CPU, about heat transfer to a different heatsink media. In this case the motor ribs would be the heat pipes, and the heatsink the actual media.
I guess we will disagree here because the air between the ribs is the gaps between the CPU and the heat pipe. The heat pipe/heatsink can’t pull away much heat without complete contact. Any gaps makes heat transfer less efficient. That’s why we use thermal paste, to eliminate any potential air gap. Thermal paste transfers heat so much more efficiently than air.

I guess we will disagree here because the air between the ribs is the gaps between the CPU and the heat pipe. The heat pipe/heatsink can’t pull away much heat without complete contact. Any gaps makes heat transfer less efficient. That’s why we use thermal paste, to eliminate any potential air gap. Thermal paste transfers heat so much more efficiently than air.
True, but CPUs are much more thermally sensitive and produce a much higher heat density. My experience with heatsinks on ribbed motors has been positive, and as such I don't think it is fair to present heatsink on ribbed motors as a defacto negative.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back