Heatsink covers motor vents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
Granite mega (brushed) motor has been getting hot. I bought this heatsink from arrma and it fits well.

However, it covers the holes on the side of the motor. Picture below.

Is that a problem?

1616527643529.png

^^^ YES.
Yeah, honestly you want those Vents open. There is a rotor fan inside that provides cooling while spinning, so it is vented. The brushes get hot and expel dust as they wear. The rotor fan inside keeps all cool and prevents dust build up. Look closely enough, you can see it when spinning by hand. You need a shorter length HS, for a brushed motor to clear those vents. The one you got fits the 36mm diameter, just is too long. It is for a sealed Arrma BLX motor can. This goes against you if you close off the vents. There are numerous Brushed Heat sinks available out there for cheap. The rotor fan cycles out the heat. If not the motor runs hotter, the brushes wear out much quicker and armature will get bricked in the process. All brushed motors are vented. The Rebuildable brushed motors have vents at the rear of the end bell. Just not with any fan. And are shorter in length.
I have much experience with brushed motors. Some still in my vintage RC's, and I still use them in my Crawlers. A different animal than BLX motors.

Edit: BTW, when you say it is hot, How hot?
Use a temp gun to see real temps.

Last edited:
^^^ YES.
Yeah, honestly you want those Vents open. There is a rotor fan inside that provides cooling while spinning, so it is vented. The brushes get hot and expel dust as they wear. The rotor fan inside keeps all cool and prevents dust build up. Look closely enough, you can see it when spinning by hand. You need a shorter length HS, for a brushed motor to clear those vents. The one you got fits the 36mm diameter, just is too long. It is for a sealed Arrma BLX motor can. This goes against you if you close off the vents. There are numerous Brushed Heat sinks available out there for cheap. The rotor fan cycles out the heat. If not the motor runs hotter, the brushes wear out much quicker and armature will get bricked in the process. All brushed motors are vented. The Rebuildable brushed motors have vents at the rear of the end bell. Just not with any fan. And are shorter in length.
I have much experience with brushed motors. Some still in my vintage RC's, and I still use them in my Crawlers. A different animal than BLX motors.
Thanks for the detailed response. I’ll find a different one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back